Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-31-2013, 02:02 AM   #15
BlemsBumble

Drives: '13 ZL1 #662; '10 SS; '99 SS
The auto also adds $2500 to the price of the car.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:17 AM   #16
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
There you have it. Answered your own question. Get the stick so your wife can't ever take the Camaro.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:30 AM   #17
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
The best way to find out what is best for you is to test drive both. i have a m6 and i can tell you that driving a manual today is a walk in the park compared to back in the day. i love the manual and even in traffic i dont care because after awhile it becomes second nature and you dont think about it. a plus on the manuals side is that when your stick in traffic you dont have to have your foot always on the break, or the clutch for that matter,with the auto you have to keep your foot on the break. i kno a few females that drive manual cars, camaros even with no problem at all. bottom line.... bangin gears is always fun.
i will say the auto is damn good in the camaro so im not knockin it but for me having a manual spices up the driving experience but if you are looking for consistency i will say auto is he way to go.
if you ask me, the only reason you should have a auto SPORTS car is if you are unfortunately disabled or you have the same car in manual so you buy the other in auto.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:32 AM   #18
ntrimm

Drives: 2013 ZL1. Black on Black on Black
I love the manual. I wouldn't own a sports car with an automatic unless I was disabled and needed the auto. There's debate that the auto is quicker but there are some testers that got 3.8 seconds 0-60 with the manual. It's all about the driver. Either one you buy you will enjoy.
ntrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #19
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
I love the manual as well. To me it adds to the enjoyment of the car. The A6 is awesome as well, but it's all about your own personal likes.

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #20
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
I love my Manual! Question really is; do you want to teach your wife how to drive a stick in a $60,000 car? Manual was a must for me, but my husband probably would of bought an auto, just cause its easier around city traffic. Today's autos with paddle shifters get you pretty close to that manual feel. If you get the manual and your wife just doesn't ever really get use to it or ends up not liking it, not sure if there will be friction as a result. She could think you did it cause you really didn't want her behind the wheel???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #21
Jakeman

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Had auto in my '12 2SS - the paddles are not great when the steering wheel is being turned. I got the auto because I drive in a lot of stop and go traffic, but was never really happy I choose it.

Got stick on the ZL1 - nothing but smiles and stop and go traffic - not an issue.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #22
Oz ZL-1
Mach 5

Drives: 13 ZL1 IOM #115 87 Grand National
Maybe you could rent a manual car of some sort and see how she likes it??
I have the Auto but would have opted for Manual if not for the wife needing to drive.

I've heard the cup holders w/M6 are useless - interferes with shifting (perhaps not w/a 6 oz low profile coffee cup!)

Good Luck Turtle!!
Oz ZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #23
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I say use the EASY button and keep momma happy ...
Old 08-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #24
RexZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Got the M6. I feel really connected to the car because it makes you very active while driving it. Also M6 has Launch assist, which is cool. Nothing better than dropping it down in 3rd about 60 and the acceleration to 110 is sick...
RexZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #25
yellow69z28rs

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible Black
Send a message via AIM to yellow69z28rs
I've had both, (not ZL1)
Traffic SUX with the manual, & was my reason for going auto, and I'm sooo glad I did.

The auto in the ZL1 is amazing in sport mode, don't even touch the paddles and its truly bad ass!
If you track the car that's the only time you really ever need to paddle shift, then that's truly bad ass!

Rag Top Rob
yellow69z28rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #26
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz ZL-1 View Post
Maybe you could rent a manual car of some sort and see how she likes it??
I have the Auto but would have opted for Manual if not for the wife needing to drive.

I've heard the cup holders w/M6 are useless - interferes with shifting (perhaps not w/a 6 oz low profile coffee cup!)

Good Luck Turtle!!
THIS! I will say the cup holders in the manual SUCK lol i dont bother with drinks because no matter how small the cup it gets in the way. and if i give in ill hold the cup the whole time in my left hand and drive n shift with my right (its not hard to do). the point is, cups being in the cup holders do suck for the manual trans camaros. imo they should have made holders behind the arm rest, even my cobalt had that
Old 08-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #27
TomF1

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
I went through this whole debate last year.
I'm really glad I got the automatic. I'm impressed.
I've always driven Manual, Including a 96 Z28+SS, up till I got the 06 MC SS, didn't come in Manual.
The ZL1 A6 works great. Love the PTM's and the paddles if/when I want to play.
I'm also glad I went for the Navigation and Sunroof. No Regrets.
TomF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #28
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
Nice thing about a manual is that you can "hot rod" around and get the sensation of speed with out really speeding vs a automatic which you usually have to mat the accelerator to the floor for a while to feel all of its 580hp.... but by then you are usually going fast enough to be arrested. Sure you can keep the auto in a lower gear but you still miss out on all the little nuances of going through the gears with little hints of WOT before, during and after shifts so you can hear all the popping and blurbing coming from the exhaust vs the consistent linear roar from the auto car. I'd get an auto if it was going to be a heavily modded daily driver that would see a lot of time at the drag races and a manual if it was going to be a fun weekend car with light mods and no track time.