Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
PETRA
My Addiction

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS DropTop
SC/GA Window tint??

I learned today that Georgia's legal level of window tint is 40% - maybe 35%? I did not pay much attention because luckily, I live in SC -right on the border- so am legally able to tint at 30%.

Due to the color of my car - black - I think the 21% option would look way better than 30%.

Do any of you SC/GA members have illegal tints? And if so, have you been pulled over or gotten a ticket because of it?

If you have pics, I would love for you to post them along with the % of tint you have.

Thanks for any info you can offer!
PETRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
bsblmn25

Drives: 669 RWHP Black SS
I think my tint is 27% (or 24%), where it is one level darker. I've never had any problems, but almost wish it was a little darker. Looking out, it is almost like there is not tint on it! Oh, and I'm in the upstate of SC.
Attached Images

bsblmn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
PETRA
My Addiction

From what I can see, it seems to look sufficient from the outside but the slight glare from the sun makes me uncertain. Does it look dark enough to match the black from the outside??
You sound like my wife...at first she was.........but after a few rides in it and seeing me giggle lik a schoolgirl she was more like ............but then when I told her we could get her Vert lowered to match my stance she was like so it all worked out.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
mcotton

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I found the below as I am about to get mine tinted in the next month:

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line. Front Side Windows Must allow more than 27% of light in. Back Side Windows Must allow more than 27% of light in. Rear Window Must allow more than 27% of light in.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
rwavers

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS
I got 20% film put on three weeks ago. After looking up the SC tint laws online I went to the police station in Bluffton (home) and asked a few local smokies what the rules were and not a single cop (of the four I asked) could tell me what the legal limits were. They all said that if they hold your drivers license up to the inside and can not read it from the out side then it is too dark. As long as they can read your license they said they will not ticket you for it... Now I'm sure you will run into the guy with the light meter attached to his utility belt, but the guys I all asked seem normal. If you read the SC laws there are a few crazy laws that go with tint. 1) each tinted window is supposed to have a sticker in-between the glass and the film stating the installer and tint %. If not it is a misdemeanor for the installer. It is also a misdemeanor for the installer to install any tint darker than 27% ect... 20% all the way abound (except the windshield) looks good on my black 2ss. If you still need a pic I can take one for you tomorrow. I also tinted my tail lights and turn signals, which I know is a whole different ball of wax but it really cleans up the lines of the car...
rwavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
PETRA
My Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwavers View Post
I got 20% film put on three weeks ago. After looking up the SC tint laws online I went to the police station in Bluffton (home) and asked a few local smokies what the rules were and not a single cop (of the four I asked) could tell me what the legal limits were. They all said that if they hold your drivers license up to the inside and can not read it from the out side then it is too dark. As long as they can read your license they said they will not ticket you for it... Now I'm sure you will run into the guy with the light meter attached to his utility belt, but the guys I all asked seem normal. If you read the SC laws there are a few crazy laws that go with tint. 1) each tinted window is supposed to have a sticker in-between the glass and the film stating the installer and tint %. If not it is a misdemeanor for the installer. It is also a misdemeanor for the installer to install any tint darker than 27% ect... 20% all the way abound (except the windshield) looks good on my black 2ss. If you still need a pic I can take one for you tomorrow. I also tinted my tail lights and turn signals, which I know is a whole different ball of wax but it really cleans up the lines of the car...
I would love to see a pic. My concern is that the 30 will be too light as theoretically, the darker the car color, the lighter the tint will look, therefore a darker hue is needed for the same effect. Which is why I want the 21%. I never heard the license thing before but I guess it makes sense when you think about it.

I want to tint my tail lights and signals too, but I am afraid I might be pushing my luck if I do.....
You sound like my wife...at first she was.........but after a few rides in it and seeing me giggle lik a schoolgirl she was more like ............but then when I told her we could get her Vert lowered to match my stance she was like so it all worked out.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
rwavers

20%

Here are some pics from high noon today with no clouds.
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
PETRA
My Addiction

That looks awesome! I think you have made my mind up. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
rwavers

No prob. Glad to help.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
PETRA
My Addiction

So I bailed on the illegal and went with 30% but I have to say, I am glad I did. I think if I had gotten 21% I may have regretted it as *for ME* it would have been too dark since I am not going for the blacked out/murdered out look. I had 'em tint the lights too tho.

Pics are not great as the windows were just done so there are water spots all over my poor girl. :upset:Plus they were taken with my crackberry.....
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
rwavers

Cool, Glad you found something that worked for you. Enjoy!