Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 09-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Trade Camaro for a Jeep?

I'm probably asking this on the wrong board, but....

In almost 2 years of owning my SS, I've only put about 6700 miles on it. I love it to pieces, but I've got another rig that I use as a daily driver that gets beaten and taken everywhere--something the dog can jump around in, it's got 4x4 for bad weather, camping/hiking trips, etc. It's a Jeep too...but not something that will continue to make sense. It's got a soft top and no A/C...no options, actually, and while the minivan 3.8 isn't bad, I'm not exactly a fan of it either. It's hideously slow.

Basically, it's a huge pile of beautiful cash just sitting in the garage, and the goal would be to consolidate 2 vehicles into 1 (get rid of my DD and the SS) and buy one of the newer Jeep Wrangler's with a 3.6.

It's the right thing to do for finances, given my other personal goals, but at the same time it feels so wrong to get rid of my Camaro.

The Jeep I'm looking at is a leftover 2012 Sport, 6-speed, hardtop, sound/bluetooth, power options, 17" wheels. I think I can get it for $23k. MSRP is over $27k. I'd get a new Jeep and cash back from the dealer from the sale on my SS.

Hmm...thoughts?
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Sometimes you just have to do the mature thing. Odds are if you look at your finances in such a mature manner, you will have another Camaro or better in your future.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
I did what you're planning to do once, and regretted it. The Camaros seem to hold their value, so the money you're spending on payments isn't wasted.

My 2nd rig is an old Jeep that I paid cash for, and there's minimal overhead to own it.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
I LOVE our 2011 Wrangler Unlimited four door Sport. I wish we had the 12 with the new V6 (And the Gecko green!) The extra room afforded by the four door makes it much more usable (especially for the dog) and it rides awesome compared to the two door.

I shall warn you: Once you own a Wrangler, you will always want one. It's a convertible, it's a snow beast, it's a camper, it tows...frankly it is a Swiss Army knife on wheels.

What makes my life easier is the fact I keep my Camaro and the wife drives the Jeep and I get it on the weekends (or when it needs gas/cleaned) Would I have a Jeep full time...yeah to the four door...probably not on the two door.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
If it's financially sound, which it sounds like it is, I'd do it. Typically I'm all for saving whatever money can be saved, and if you aren't really driving the car....that is alot of cash to have just sitting around IMO.

Keep it or sell it. If the deal is what you say and you would actually get the Jeep PLUS cash back...I'd do it.
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
1BADLS3

So, I've already got a Wrangler. It's an '09. It was meant to be a 3rd vehicle, so, we found it lightly used at the end of 2010 with only 1500 miles on it. But...it's got no options. NONE. Front floormats were an option, and this rig didn't have 'em. I've put about 20k on it so far, and it's a hoot to drive. I've also pushed it to its limits a few times on some overland travel trips, offroad. Open diffs with the brake-lock are surprisingly capable.

I love it so much, but it's not quite "there" in terms of being a primary vehicle. It needs a hard top...the soft top is fine, but every time I park it in the city, it gets unzipped like a cheap purse and gone through for change and things of value. Once, someone decided not to use the zippers and just tore the side off the thing. In a rainstorm. THAT was fun...not. The extra comfort and "security" of a hard top would be nice, so I can at least leave my sunglasses in the dang thing when I get out. It also needs A/C. It doesn't get real hot here in the northwest, but anything over about 70 degrees makes it pretty warm inside that Jeep, and I wear nice clothes to work. It's not so great arriving in wrinkled clothes looking like I just came out of a sauna.

The Camaro is pretty much paid for...I owe a negligible amount. The Jeep is plenty right-side up. So...in terms of money I think it makes sense, except for buying a brand new Jeep part. But...there isn't really much in the way of used 3.6's with a manual, not locally anyway. I'd probably have to wait another year before they start popping up.

This is also my first new Camaro. It's Camaro #6 for me since I was 17. The used ones were much easier to get rid of, especially back when I was trading from a 3.8 up to an LS1.

Car buying shouldn't be emotional, but somehow it is for enthusiasts.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
So, I've already got a Wrangler. It's an '09. It was meant to be a 3rd vehicle, so, we found it lightly used at the end of 2010 with only 1500 miles on it. But...it's got no options. NONE. Front floormats were an option, and this rig didn't have 'em. I've put about 20k on it so far, and it's a hoot to drive. I've also pushed it to its limits a few times on some overland travel trips, offroad. Open diffs with the brake-lock are surprisingly capable.

I love it so much, but it's not quite "there" in terms of being a primary vehicle. It needs a hard top...the soft top is fine, but every time I park it in the city, it gets unzipped like a cheap purse and gone through for change and things of value. Once, someone decided not to use the zippers and just tore the side off the thing. In a rainstorm. THAT was fun...not. The extra comfort and "security" of a hard top would be nice, so I can at least leave my sunglasses in the dang thing when I get out. It also needs A/C. It doesn't get real hot here in the northwest, but anything over about 70 degrees makes it pretty warm inside that Jeep, and I wear nice clothes to work. It's not so great arriving in wrinkled clothes looking like I just came out of a sauna.

The Camaro is pretty much paid for...I owe a negligible amount. The Jeep is plenty right-side up. So...in terms of money I think it makes sense, except for buying a brand new Jeep part. But...there isn't really much in the way of used 3.6's with a manual, not locally anyway. I'd probably have to wait another year before they start popping up.

This is also my first new Camaro. It's Camaro #6 for me since I was 17. The used ones were much easier to get rid of, especially back when I was trading from a 3.8 up to an LS1.

Car buying shouldn't be emotional, but somehow it is for enthusiasts.
I think that's the first thing I've been able to EVER agree with you on. Well said.

Kinda funny, but for some reason, even though we've pretty much been at each other since I got on this forum, when I saw you might be getting another vehicle I was willing to put all that aside and try to give you some advice. Cars really have a way of bringing enthusiasts together, whether they have agreed in the past or not.

Anyway, I never thought that someone would actually be going up to soft top Jeeps and unzipping the tops to search for valuables...that's just sad. So I definitely understand why you would want to go for a hard top...I have seen some at our dealership that have been traded in and they are very nice looking vehicles, especially in the four door trim.

I've heard the base models come like you are describing...pretty much nothing inside but the basics. However, that should be reflected in the pricing and allow you to get a much better deal on the Jeep I would think.

I like my Camaro alot and I can understand why you're having to really think it over. I had a '99 Mustang GT that was paid for...and at the time I thought trading it was the right thing to do. But now I'd give almost anything to have that car back just because of the sentimental value and unbelievably low payments it had before it was paid for.

I don't think you can lose either way, but it sounds like you'd really enjoy the Jeep for what it is and actually use it as opposed to just driving it around town and never taking it off the pavement like alot of owners do.

Of course, it's your call...but I think I'm still going to say if it were me, I'd make the deal as long as everything looked good. I guess another option would be to wait until the Camaro is paid off and then keep it and go get a Jeep, but if this is the exact kind of Jeep you're looking for it may be very difficult to find another down the road.

Tough call. Best of luck with it though.
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
tazz3

Drives: 2012 camaro
keep the SS and keep the jeep for now or sel the jeep and get a newer one
tazz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
BNB
Rollin' The Lunchbox

Drives: 2012 Camaro Ashen Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3 View Post
keep the SS and keep the jeep for now or sel the jeep and get a newer one
This!

Sent from the front seat of the Amberlamps!
BNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
1BADLS3

Thanks ShowSStopper.

The new Jeep would definitely be more adequately optioned.

BNB and Tazz...that's kind of how the Camaro is now. Mostly paid off (almost) but it just sits in the garage. I'm not a rich man...having a $28,000 (or whatever it would sell for) pile of cash in the garage that gets driven 4k/year doesn't make good financial sense, even though my heart wants it to.

The good thing is that I don't have to do ANYTHING. Lots of time to think. But the thought emerged from the back of my head, to dead center in the front of my head
Old 09-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
oyealiz

Drives: c7 3LT, manual, vert
Send a message via AIM to oyealiz Send a message via Yahoo to oyealiz
You already know that Jeeps rock, so I say go for it. It's not like you'll be driving some 4 door car that looks like every other one on the road!

You can always get both tops and have the option of quick up and down with the soft top for days that you know you'll want to drop it at some point, but want A/C on your way into work.

My Jeep....

oyealiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
It's your choice, buddy. Do what is right for you and your family.

Maybe one day you'll own another 5th gen.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #13
Beezwax

Drives: Public Transportation
only if it's like this

Old 09-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #14
BNB
Rollin' The Lunchbox

Drives: 2012 Camaro Ashen Grey
You gonnnna regret itttttttt! I can see it now...driving down the road you see a SS that looks like yours..you begin to miss it, the fever comes back and all of a sudden you get overwhelmed with the neeeeeeeeeed for speeeeeeeeed!

Sent from the front seat of the Amberlamps!
BNB is offline   Reply With Quote