Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 02-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Mike88

Drives: 94 Camaro, 05 Magnum
reviving the Canadian section!

Okay, its been officially dead in here for over a month. Let's get to know each other a little better. How about we all say where we're from again and what we do for a living. I'll start:

I'm a 23 year old student from Montreal, finishing up my Masters in Criminology at the University of Toronto. I'll hopefully be looking for a job in my field this spring/summer. I'll probably be moving to Ottawa as it seems like that's where all the best jobs are.
Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Jay

Drives: Audi A4
Ill add in here.....I just turned 21 years old this past December....Im finishing my Business Administration Degree in Human Resources Management this April (Woohoo!)

I live in Vancouver city, BC.... and am probably going to stick around here for at-least after the winter Olympics in 2010 were going to have here.

Will be job hunting come May this year and just work for my pops little while until I find a job otherwise.

"HEAVEN JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THE NOISE"
JAY
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
Mike88

good luck with the job search...i'm graduating around the same time and so we'll be in the same boat.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
good luck with the job search...i'm graduating around the same time and so we'll be in the same boat.
Yah Good luck to you too... its gunna be a battle, ,lol... alotta qualified people competing for the same jobs!!!

I did about 5 courses earlier in schooling in Crim as I was interested in it.. but then I ended up psyc and business so im majoring in business and minoring in psychology. But Crim was definitley interesting to me as I wanted to get into Law School... hec I still might end up going.

How is Montreal anyways bro....you guys mainly speak english out in Montreal or French... b/c I know in Quebec they seem to speak mainly french.

JAY
Old 02-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I'm graduating this spring too, I turned 21 this past fall. Taking mechanical engineering. I won't be able to get a new Camaro at launch, unless its a V6. I will wait until 2011 or so, and make a nice big down payment.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum

Last edited by DGthe3; 03-14-2008 at 05:32 PM.
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
Mike88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

How is Montreal anyways bro....you guys mainly speak english out in Montreal or French... b/c I know in Quebec they seem to speak mainly french.
Mtl is great. I'm living in Toronto now for school but Mtl will always be home...there's just no other place like it...and you can't really say that about Toronto (no offense to you Toronto guys). Its probably the most bilingual place in Quebec. Not everyone is tho...there are plenty of french ppl who don't speak english and even english ppl who don't speak french if you can believe it. My mom doesn't speak french at all. As for mother tongue, its probably about 65/35 french to english speakers. I was raised english...but i've picked up french over the years.

Last edited by Mike88; 02-18-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
Mike88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Yah Good luck to you too... its gunna be a battle, ,lol... alotta qualified people competing for the same jobs!!!
yeah well the good thing is that master's crim programs are pretty rare in Canada. There are only 4 programs in the country and even tho there aren't really any careers specific to a Masters Crim degree, I've heard it shouldn't be too hard to get a decent job.

But just in general Canada's jobless rate is incredibly low at the moment and continuing to decrease. Also, there are tons of baby boomers looking to retire in the next 5-10 years. Things are only looking up for job seekers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I'm graduating this spring too, I turned 21 this past spring. Taking mechanical engineering. I won't be able to get a new Camaro at launch, unless its a V6. I will wait until 2011 or so, and make a nice big down payment.
I currently own a V6 4th gen Camaro...I've said this before, but the prospects of driving a 300 hp fuel sipping 5th gen V6 aren't all that unappealing to me. I know we'd all prefer the V8, but there's no shame in the V6. If its just the power you're after, well you can pull up some videos on youtube of an 8 second 1/4 mile 3800 4th gen. If its the rumble and nostalgia that is brought about by a honkin' V8...well good luck with your savings.

PS...everyone's graduating this spring...we should have a graduation party!
Old 02-19-2008, 02:59 AM   #8
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post

PS...everyone's graduating this spring...we should have a graduation party!
lol... we should...

JAY
Old 02-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Hey, hows it goin everyone.

Names Matthew, im from Toronto (well one of the burbs anyways) im 20 years old and im my 3rd year of university. I am studying pharmaceutical chemistry at York University. I plan on applying to dental school soon, so im going to be in school for a while longer. I drive a 99 Grand Prix GT that i have been slowly modding over the last couple of years. I play on the varsity football team at York, and when im not modding my car, studying, with the GF, or playin Football, i build and mod computers

Well thats me in a nutshell.

p.s Someday when we all get our Camaro's we should organize a "Great Canadian Get-Together"
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
Mike88

nice to hear from you Mtron...what position do u play? I played football through cegep (its the quebec college system), but I stopped playing before my undergrad at McGill. I played 8 years as receiver, and 2 years as free safety. Now I coach Peewee level and play flag football (its a lot easier on the body...haha)
Old 02-19-2008, 10:33 PM   #11
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Heh, receiver and safety.....not quite my position...seeing as i am 6 foot 4, 280 lbs im sitting squarely on the the offensive line, specifically right tackle
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #12
Mike88

nice...how did York do last season? I'm almost embarassed to say I go to same university as the Varsity Blues football team...0-41 since 2001. Its pathetic!

Yeah we're quite different body shapes...I'm 5'8'', 170. The way the CFL has gone in recent years with mostly all-Canadian linemen you must be a quality prospect to get drafted.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #13
3whiterag
GM Powertrain Retired

Drives: 67SS350, 87 IROC L98, 96SS ver
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTron View Post
Hey, hows it goin everyone.

Names Matthew, im from Toronto (well one of the burbs anyways) im 20 years old and im my 3rd year of university. I am studying pharmaceutical chemistry at York University. I plan on applying to dental school soon, so im going to be in school for a while longer. I drive a 99 Grand Prix GT that i have been slowly modding over the last couple of years. I play on the varsity football team at York, and when im not modding my car, studying, with the GF, or playin Football, i build and mod computers

Well thats me in a nutshell.

p.s Someday when we all get our Camaro's we should organize a "Great Canadian Get-Together"
Hey Matt! Great Idea! A get together for F-Bodies! How about everyone sign up for the GM Powertrain Show in August and we can all meet in St. Catharines. Being the old guy here, I would really like to meet all you young guys!
3whiterag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #14
Maddog78

Drives: 1969 Z28
Hi from Abbotsford, BC.
Maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote