Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Paddle Shifters or Clutch??

The new Camaro has been reported to have paddle shifters installed in the automatic models which offer the sporty control given with the manual without the clutch or stick. Nothing can replace the feeling given by a manual in aggressive driving, but with practicality in mind as well as fuel millage, wouldn't paddles be a great alternative? (not a replacement)
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
ihc95

Drives: 2018 GT PP1 A10
I've heard Chevy paddle shift transmissions are great and much faster on a track than a normal manual. Also better fuel econemy. PADDLES ALL THE WAY!!!!!
ihc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm all about the paddles.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
punkdrum01

Drives: 1999 z28 Vert Black/Black
+3
punkdrum01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
+4
Old 04-24-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
+5
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
2xtrbo

Drives: BMW 335 Cabrio
Manual or nothing. I know I just love my manual now, especially around every corner, rev the engine to 4 grand and pop the clutch in 2nd and just drift around the corner. You won't have that with paddles because you can't control the clutch. Also, I think I would get bored with an auto.

Now I really liked the auto in the Audi TT. But that is a dual clutch system that blips the throttle on shifting. It is phenomenal but I think it would add too much cost to the Camaro and I definitely don't think there will be a dual clutch auto.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:58 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'm 80% leaning for Auto right now: based on my needs, circumstances. But I definitely want the paddles - or it's manual.

I've sat in a 'Vette, and they just feel...right. Some argue that Auto's, no matter what kind, forces you to feel detached from the car; separated. When I was sitting in that 'vette, boy let me tell you - the connection couldn't have been stronger. And with what the majority of people who's driven with them keeps saying - I'm very much looking forward to a paddle-shift, Auto Camaro.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:52 PM   #9
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I like driving a stick, but I'm sitting in traffic too often where I drive the most.
I had a 3rd Gen firebird that I put a small block 400 in that had a 700R4 automatic with a shift kit and I'm telling you, that was the funnest car I ever drove. What a difference a shift kit makes.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:18 AM   #10
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
As I've said in all the other paddle shifter and manual vs. auto threads...

- Just saying "paddle shifters" doesn't say anything about how the transmission behaves, they're just another type of control that could be used on the same old auto or a SMT/DSG automated manual.

- If I drove in the city much, I'd be happy enough with the same 4L60E that's in my 2002 GMC Sierra. It shifts exactly the way I like, exactly when I want it to.

- Since I'm all about country roads and highways, I'll be getting a manual anyway.

- Those SMT/DSG transmissions are cool. The DSG is actually two manual transmissions with two clutches, all of which are servo-operated and computer-controlled (except in manual mode when they're controlled by the paddle shifters and/or buttons on the stick and/or "+/-" positions of the stick). They are crazy fast, and beat the hell out of manual transmission on the track given the same car/engine. They have no torque converter (referred to by some as "slushbox") and they get the same gear ratios/quantity of gears as a manual so they get all the effective advantages of a manual, plus they get shifts as fast as 8 milliseconds! However, AFAIK, GM does not have anything like this, so I doubt they'll create it for the Camaro.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
As I've said in all the other paddle shifter and manual vs. auto threads...

- Just saying "paddle shifters" doesn't say anything about how the transmission behaves, they're just another type of control that could be used on the same old auto or a SMT/DSG automated manual.

- If I drove in the city much, I'd be happy enough with the same 4L60E that's in my 2002 GMC Sierra. It shifts exactly the way I like, exactly when I want it to.

- Since I'm all about country roads and highways, I'll be getting a manual anyway.

- Those SMT/DSG transmissions are cool. The DSG is actually two manual transmissions with two clutches, all of which are servo-operated and computer-controlled (except in manual mode when they're controlled by the paddle shifters and/or buttons on the stick and/or "+/-" positions of the stick). They are crazy fast, and beat the hell out of manual transmission on the track given the same car/engine. They have no torque converter (referred to by some as "slushbox") and they get the same gear ratios/quantity of gears as a manual so they get all the effective advantages of a manual, plus they get shifts as fast as 8 milliseconds! However, AFAIK, GM does not have anything like this, so I doubt they'll create it for the Camaro.
I could dig on the SMT/DSG that you are suggesting but would still prefer a manual this time. I miss rowing through the gears like I did on the T56 behind my LT1, but I have to admit I couldn't run the 60 foots I'm running with my big stall 4L60E behind my LS1. If they could put these kinds of transmissions in VWs, why not in our cars?...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:45 AM   #12
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Stick shift or bust.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:19 AM   #13
17ac

Drives: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xtrbo View Post
Manual or nothing. I know I just love my manual now, especially around every corner, rev the engine to 4 grand and pop the clutch in 2nd and just drift around the corner. You won't have that with paddles because you can't control the clutch. Also, I think I would get bored with an auto.

Now I really liked the auto in the Audi TT. But that is a dual clutch system that blips the throttle on shifting. It is phenomenal but I think it would add too much cost to the Camaro and I definitely don't think there will be a dual clutch auto.
thats wat im talkin about

but we dont drive tuners nd dont use e-brakes so we dont call it drifting

we call it powersliding

When the bogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for the Chevy Camaro.

When pictures of the Chevy Camaro were shown in France, the French surrendered to the Chevy Camaro just to be on the safe side.

Google won't search for Chevy Camaro because it knows you don't find Chevy Camaros. Chevy Camaros find you.

The original title for "Alien vs. Predator" was "Alien vs. Predator vs. Chevy Camaro." It was cancelled in preproduction, because film execs knew no one would pay 9 bucks to see a movie 14 seconds long.
17ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:16 AM   #14
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Manual. Don't have that big cities in Sweden anyway and it's just way more fun to drive.