Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Camaromann

Drives: 2012 coupe 1LT
2012 Air Conditioning issues.....

Well.......the 2012's are not immune to A/C problems either !

3 days with the car and the A/C (with less than 100 miles) was acting strange. It was not freezing cold (that is typical of GM cars) and then it went warm - then cold- then semi-cold - then cold - regardless of RPMs or outside temp.

I took it to the dealer this morning and they told me that there is already a reprogram for the computer relating to this issue. They promptly hooked up a laptop to the car and reprogrammed it, and on the way home the A/C was 100% cold the way it should be.

You would think that with the 2012 model year, the factory would have cleared out any known issues to these cars. I am told that my car was the 1st 2012 delivered in Miami. Regardless, the issues appears to be resolved - for now. I hope for good.........
Camaromann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
SS_Matt
permagrin

Drives: 2012 LS3 SS/RS
Thanks for the heads up. I'll pay close attention when mine comes in in the next couple weeks.
SS_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Camaromann

2012 A/C still not cold....

After 2 more weeks with my new 2012 Camaro, and 500 miles later, the A/C is still not cooling properly. 2 weeks ago, the dealer reprogrammed the computer, but did nothing else.

The A/C appears to cycle on and off frequently, and the air does not cool down properly. It is extremely uncomfortable down here in Miami wotjhout cold A/C.

Is anyone else having this type of A/C issue with their cars?
Old 09-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
edgehead2000
2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0T

Drives: Nemesis
I just traded in my '11 and noticed that the AC does blow, literally. Took it to the dealer and he said to start using the recirculation button. After that, this OKC heat was tolerable.

The new '12 I traded for has the same issue. Use recirculation and it helps. The '11 Buick Lacrosse loaner that they gave me had an awesome AC, though so I'm wondering what Chevy forgot to do that has us griping about it.
edgehead2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
I had my 09 Traverse to the dealer 2 times for the same issue. Guess what it was? Low on freon. They did not even check that the first time..they put a new temperature senson on it the first time

OP, my symptoms were exactly like yours...erratic. Not like the old days when it just was not quite cold enough
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
Camaromann

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
I had my 09 Traverse to the dealer 2 times for the same issue. Guess what it was? Low on freon. They did not even check that the first time..they put a new temperature senson on it the first time.....OP, my symptoms were exactly like yours...erratic. Not like the old days when it just was not quite cold enough

TOMORROW (9/13) I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE MOST EXPERIENCED MECHANIC AT THE LOCAL CHEVY DEALER. I SPOKE WITH HIM TODAY, AND HE ALSO STATED THAT DESPITE THE COMPUTER READINGS, HE IS GOING TO EVACUATE THE ENTIRE 134a REFRIGERANT OUT OF THE SYSTEM, WEIGH IT TO DETERMINE IF WAS UNDER-CHARGED AT THE FACTORY, AND THEN REFILL THE SYSTEM TO FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS. I HAVE MY FINGERS CROSSED, BECAUSE IT IS WAY TOO HOT DOWN HERE IN MIAMI TO HAVE A NEW CAR WITH WARM A/C. AND YES....I ALWAYS LEAVE THE A/C ON RECIRCULATING MODE.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaromann View Post
TOMORROW (9/13) I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE MOST EXPERIENCED MECHANIC AT THE LOCAL CHEVY DEALER. I SPOKE WITH HIM TODAY, AND HE ALSO STATED THAT DESPITE THE COMPUTER READINGS, HE IS GOING TO EVACUATE THE ENTIRE 134a REFRIGERANT OUT OF THE SYSTEM, WEIGH IT TO DETERMINE IF WAS UNDER-CHARGED AT THE FACTORY, AND THEN REFILL THE SYSTEM TO FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS. I HAVE MY FINGERS CROSSED, BECAUSE IT IS WAY TOO HOT DOWN HERE IN MIAMI TO HAVE A NEW CAR WITH WARM A/C. AND YES....I ALWAYS LEAVE THE A/C ON RECIRCULATING MODE.
You might have this tech see if there is a pin hole leak somewhere as that was what was wrong with mine. The dealer found a small crack in the condenser using a freon sniffer. I can totally understand the need to AC, hotter than hell in Phoenix AZ this year.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hopefully that gets things sorted out for you Camaromann. I did get your message and I'm sorry to see that you're still having issues.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Camaromann

A/C ice cold for now.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hopefully that gets things sorted out for you Camaromann. I did get your message and I'm sorry to see that you're still having issues.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
--------------------------------------

To repeat my problem: The A/C was inconsistent and going from cold to warm to cold - on a repeated cycle. No strange smells, no clicking noises, and the compressor did not appear to be cycling on and off.

Okay....after five hours at the local dealer, the A/C is finally working like it should. (SO FAR)

First, the mechanic removed all of the 134a from the system and checked the content. He found that there was 2 ounces of freon TOO MUCH. The system is supposed to have .54kg (approx. 19 ounces) and my car had .61kg (approx. 21 ounces).

Then, he called GM to check if there was anything in their database relating to A/C issues for 2012, and asked them if having 2 extra ounces of 134a would effect the system's performance. Nothing to report from GM.

Then he refilled the system with the proper amount of 134a, and then hooked up a laptop computer to recalibrate the actuators for the internal dampening doors. Finally, he checked the A/C system control board.

We went drove for a 3 mile test drive in 95 degree weather, and the A/C was (finally) ice cold. More importantly, it stayed cold and did not cycle cold/warm/cold like before.

The mechanic thinks that the extra freon might have caused higher operating pressure, which might cuase the compressor to cycle too frequently. But, only 2 extra ounces - he discounted that as a reason for the problem. He did conclude that the recalibrating of the actuators for the dampening doors is most likely the reason for my issues. He explained that these doors open and close (to blend the cold air with heated air to acheive the desired temperature) based on an electrical voltage variations. He explained that the compressor is always working like it should, but that it is most likely that I was getting warm air blending intermittantly with cold air.

Problem solved. SO FAR. I have driven my car another 35 miles during intense afternoon heat & humidity, and all appears to work well.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
ohsnow

Drives: 2012 SS
I have a 2012 2SS and have a problem of not enough COLD air...... Is there still a problem? mY computer was reprogrammed and has made no difference @ 3000 miles
ohsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
i havent even used my ac yet. guess i better check mine out next time i drive it
Old 05-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
onelapdoc

Drives: 2LT/RS coupe M6 IBM
Mine cracked some little plastic high pressure valve. Got it replaced and now have cold air again
onelapdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnow View Post
I have a 2012 2SS and have a problem of not enough COLD air...... Is there still a problem? mY computer was reprogrammed and has made no difference @ 3000 miles
I do apologize for your frustration concerning this issue. Have you taken it back to the dealership for diagnosis? This would be the best thing to do. Please keep me updated.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #14
ohsnow

Drives: 2012 SS
took mine back for reprogram.... didn't get cold enough..... took back again due to wet sock smell.... they programmed evap fan to run longer? seems better.
ohsnow is offline   Reply With Quote