Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #323
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
Once again, if you look at the level of technology in the ZL1 and compare it to those other cars then it kinda kills the whole amazing was of what the car has done. Kinda like the GT-R, so much technology it's almost limp and emotionless from a drivers perspective.

I'm not calling the ZL1 limp and emotionless but it certainly has more than enough technology serving to make it an easier car to drive fast around a track than some of the other cars in the comparison. Coupled with its IRS it should be expected to out handle the Solid Rear Mustang and with all the Chest Beating Al O. did about its handling its good to see it stood up.

As for the 1LE, it was part if the car that was developed into the ZL1, so enough said. It might be a bit of a parts bin car but none the less with the parts it uses should be expected to go as fast as it does.

Give a driver a car that won't scare the f*** out of them and take a master to control, they will probably have an easier time with it. That's what the Camaro is accessible, it gives people the means to go fast without necessarily being scared out of their wits.

Yet people still act like its a surprise...
The 458 has the same magnetic ride as the ZL1.
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #324
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
The thing I think you fail to understand that is pretty clear is that the ZL1's purpose is corning. The Shelby's is Pure Push Back Acceleration. They both handle excellent but the ZL1 happens to have the advantage, IRS, that the GT500 doesn't.

I personally don't know anyone who would say something as stupid as "well lets go down to a road course and I'll leave you in the dust." As much as I love the ZL1 and the GT500, both sides are using some seriously ricer arguments. But then again this is the internet, and the following picture sums it up.

Also it's not in anyway shape or form impressive that the ZL1 and 1LE can beat the solid rear axle Mustang when it comes to corning. The Mustang is an almost 10 year old car. I should freaking hope the Camaro can beat the Mustang around corners considering it's a newer design. I'm always amazed that people seem to forget this minor detail…
Actually it always seems to amaze me that people forget or discount the fact the Gt500 is $5k more, 250lbs lighter, with 80hp more and still can't beat the ZL1. Like you said, it's a 10 year old design, yet they are still charging $63k plus for inferior performance.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #325
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
Actually it always seems to amaze me that people forget or discount the fact the Gt500 is $5k more, 250lbs lighter, with 80hp more and still can't beat the ZL1. Like you said, it's a 10 year old design, yet they are still charging $63k plus for inferior "road course" performance.
People do and always will buy the car that they feel suits their needs the best. I bought the car I wanted because it was the car "I" Wanted. I knew I'm not taking it to a road course and it won't go to a drag strip. Not everyone buys the car they do because they have something to prove. I don't care if the ZL1 can pull .2+ G's more than the GT500 at the limit, I don't care if I paid more for my GT500 than the guy with a ZL1 did. My GT500 is everything I wanted in a car and that's why I bought it. I wanted a car that can scare the hell outta. Not everybody buys because the car is .6 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile or 6 seconds faster on a road course.

Last edited by The IOM Ninja; 01-02-2013 at 10:43 PM.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #326
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I agree, with what Ford had to work with they did wonders. But you can only go so far...yet BIG HP does cover a multitude.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #327
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I agree, with what Ford had to work with they did wonders. But you can only go so far...yet BIG HP does cover a multitude.
Yeah you can only go SO FAR and Ford has done things with a SRA that are remarkable but it's an obvious handicap to the Mustang if it wants to continue to be relevant. I'm excited to see the next gen cars, Camaro and Mustang not so much Dodge. They should have been left to rot ...
Old 01-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #328
GearBangr

Quote:
Yeah you can only go SO FAR and Ford has done things with a SRA that are remarkable but it's an obvious handicap to the Mustang if it wants to continue to be relevant. I'm excited to see the next gen cars, Camaro and Mustang not so much Dodge. They should have been left to rot ...
I've heard rumors that dodge is working on a challenger that should be similar in weight and performance as to what the next gen camaro and mustangs will be. And in all honesty I'm looking forward to it more than the mustangs. Those hemi engines are nice.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #329
GearBangr

Quote:
People do and always will buy the car that they feel suits their needs the best. I bought the car I wanted because it was the car "I" Wanted. I knew I'm not taking it to a road course and it won't go to a drag strip. Not everyone buys the car they do because they have something to prove. I don't care if the ZL1 can pull .2+ G's more than the GT500 at the limit, I don't care if I paid more for my GT500 than the guy with a ZL1 did. My GT500 is everything I wanted in a car and that's why I bought it. I wanted a car that can scare the hell outta. Not everybody buys because the car is .6 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile or 6 seconds faster on a road course.
Lol, its funny you mention that, I've driven many cars before that made me fear for my life. But not for the same reasons your describing, hehe.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #330
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
I can definetly that. I love the new GT500 and would probably have one if the ZL1 was never born. Post some pics of ur beast
Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #331
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I seriously can't be the only person who gets this...
Nobody tunes a car at Nurburgring to compete with a Ford....not once, not ever... You think BMW is over there thinking, "Hmmm, the GT500 looks hard to beat..."

Here you have a ZL1 which beat every BMW and Audi at Nurburgring and you Ford fanbois think its all about you...how sad...

I don't think there is a person with a lick of common sense that thinks the GT500 is as track capable as the ZL1 or even BMW or Audi...power may get you through one lap, maybe two, but the car just can't endure.

See, when you go really fast in a front heavy car and have to stop real hard to take a corner at the same speed as a Chevy Aveo, your brakes heat up and start to fade...its physics... and it makes for a real poor track car.

Anyways, the svtperformance guys have 248 pages of GT500 vs ZL1...can we just be cooler then them and talk about some actual ZL1 and 1LE competition...

I know the GT500 guys wish they were a threat, and if I ever need a car that is only capable of doing a really short distance mediocrely fast, I'll think about it...

(...BTW, even the BMW fanbois, which are arguably some of the interwebz more obnoxious, would have given in by now...)
Old 01-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #332
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
I seriously can't be the only person who gets this...
Nobody tunes a car at Nurburgring to compete with a Ford....not once, not ever... You think BMW is over there thinking, "Hmmm, the GT500 looks hard to beat..."

Here you have a ZL1 which beat every BMW and Audi at Nurburgring and you Ford fanbois think its all about you...how sad...

I don't think there is a person with a lick of common sense that thinks the GT500 is as track capable as the ZL1 or even BMW or Audi...power may get you through one lap, maybe two, but the car just can't endure.

See, when you go really fast in a front heavy car and have to stop real hard to take a corner at the same speed as a Chevy Aveo, your brakes heat up and start to fade...its physics... and it makes for a real poor track car.

Anyways, the svtperformance guys have 248 pages of GT500 vs ZL1...can we just be cooler then them and talk about some actual ZL1 and 1LE competition...

I know the GT500 guys wish they were a threat, and if I ever need a car that is only capable of doing a really short distance mediocrely fast, I'll think about it...

(...BTW, even the BMW fanbois, which are arguably some of the interwebz more obnoxious, would have given in by now...)
Well Ford did basically Butt F*** the M3 with the Mustang Boss 302 and the GT isn't that far behind the M3, so…

I don't think anyone is dumb enough to believe a supercharged car is the smartest choice for a track car.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #333
mrmarklin

Drives: ZL1 Blueray Metallic
Cool

"Nobody tunes a car at Nurburgring to compete with a Ford....not once, not ever... You think BMW is over there thinking, "Hmmm, the GT500 looks hard to beat..."

Here you have a ZL1 which beat every BMW and Audi at Nurburgring and you Ford fanbois think its all about you...how sad..."

This.

Audi and BMW could care less about how fast a Ford is, any Ford. It's a whole different market.

That's why, as a soon to be former BMW driver, I was willing to try a ZL1. At least there seem to be some in America that are trying to bring a level of sophistication to the automotive world.
mrmarklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #334
Vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
Leonardo Da Vinci said "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." This being the case, which is the more "sophisticated" car, a BMW, an Audi, a ZL1 or a GT500?

Truth be told, what people are really buying is a good experience. Sometimes simple is good, and sometimes complex is good, depending on what a good experience is in a given context.

As an avid Leonardo Da Vinci fan, I can confidently say he would also agree that the GT500 isn't a track car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja
Well Ford did basically Butt F*** the M3 with the Mustang Boss 302 and the GT isn't that far behind the M3, so…

I don't think anyone is dumb enough to believe a supercharged car is the smartest choice for a track car.
Yeah...the Boss was only a couple seconds behind the GT500 too...and it has 200 more horsepower aswell...Yay for Boss? or Boooo for GT500? hmmm...looks like the GT500 could be competition for the 1LE and Boss...
Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #335
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
As an avid Leonardo Da Vinci fan, I can confidently say he would also agree that the GT500 isn't a track car.

Yeah...the Boss was only a couple seconds behind the GT500 too...and it has 200 more horsepower aswell...Yay for Boss? or Boooo for GT500? hmmm...looks like the GT500 could be competition for the 1LE and Boss...
I think it's pretty much common sense that the GT500 isn't a track car, I'm not debating that it is If I was going to buy a track car (out of the Camaro or Mustang) I would be buying a naturally aspirated Ford Boss 302 or 1LE SS.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #336
Vroom

Quote:
I think it's pretty much common sense that the GT500 isn't a track car, I'm not debating that it is If I was going to buy a track car (out of the Camaro or Mustang) I would be buying a naturally aspirated Ford Boss 302 or 1LE SS.
Didn't say you were debating it My track comment was in response to NVmyZL1.