Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Inexpensive Super Bright LED P13W DRL bulbs

Had an Amazon gift card and my previous LED DRL's were junk so I'm giving these a shot. I just installed them today and I'll report back if there are any issues down the road.

They look & feel very well made, shipped super fast, and don't break the bank. All things I love!

I'll take some pictures tonight but I can already tell these guys are SUPER BRIGHT. They seem to match the HID's color perfectly as well.

Link: Genssi 2x 80W CREE White P13W Camaro High Power LED 12V DRL Daytime Running Low Beam Accent
http://amzn.com/B00EDP3DRA
Old 02-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
svtjackal

Drives: 2010 SIM camaro-2001 svt Lightning
I got these from diode dynamics for $35 shipped and they are pretty bright
http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/l...leds-pair.html

Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin Camaro Owners check out www.chicago5thgen.com
svtjackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Inexpensive Super Bright LED P13W DRL bulbs

The ones in the first post, that I got, would be the "stage 3" at diode dynamics. I mean SUPER BRIGHT. I may have to downgrade, lol. We'll see.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:36 PM   #4
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

I rode around tonight a little bit and I loved how bright they are. Can really see the ground out front. I'm good to go now.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
They look similar to our Stage 3's

Thanks!
Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
The problem is - your RS package doesn't have fog lights. Those are daytime running lights. Being as they don't have any kind of cutoff on the beam, they're blinding every other driver on the road.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
The problem is - your RS package doesn't have fog lights. Those are daytime running lights. Being as they don't have any kind of cutoff on the beam, they're blinding every other driver on the road.
Thank you for saying that. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way. That's why I went with the 11watt bulbs. I might as well be a doofus in a crappy car that shoves 8k HIDs in my stock housings and thinks there is nothing wrong with it because *I* see a lot better.
2012LS3VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

They're about the same brightness as the headlights, from a distance. I checked tonight actually.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #9
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
They look similar to our Stage 3's

Thanks!
Nick C.

Correct.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #10
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012LS3VERT View Post
Thank you for saying that. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way. That's why I went with the 11watt bulbs. I might as well be a doofus in a crappy car that shoves 8k HIDs in my stock housings and thinks there is nothing wrong with it because *I* see a lot better.

Thanks for your intelligent, mannered input. You should do some research before blasting someone about something you obviously know little about. 11Watts means nothing other than power consumption and 8K is a color.

The DRL bulbs I posted are actually only putting out 8-900 Lumens @6-7000K, which is quite a bit less "light" than stock RS HID headlights.
Stock RS HID headlights put out around 3000 Lumens @4500K, comparatively.

In simple terms, for beginners: My current DRL's are more "white" so it makes them look brighter.

I'm not "blinding" anyone. I hate that as well, especially in my very low Camaro. Not many cars out there that are in line of sight of our DRL's! Doofus? LOL.

Good day.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:10 PM   #11
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post

See post above!
Old 03-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #12
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post
Thanks for your intelligent, mannered input. You should do some research before blasting someone about something you obviously know little about. 11Watts means nothing other than power consumption and 8K is a color.

The DRL bulbs I posted are actually only putting out 8-900 Lumens @6-7000K, which is quite a bit less "light" than stock RS HID headlights.
Stock RS HID headlights put out around 3000 Lumens @4500K, comparatively.

In simple terms, for beginners: My current DRL's are more "white" so it makes them look brighter.

I'm not "blinding" anyone. I hate that as well, especially in my very low Camaro. Not many cars out there that are in line of sight of our DRL's! Doofus? LOL.

Good day.
That's all well and good, but there's still no cutoff for that light. I'd rather have someone with 8000 lumens with a proper cutoff behind me than your 900 lumens getting blasted everywhere and anywhere.

A proper running light should have a cutoff similar to this:

Your DRLs have NO patterning of the beam. Nothing. By design. They're meant to disperse everywhere, and be approximately the same intensity to oncoming traffic as the daylight around them. Your light is going EVERYWHERE, and is not getting reflected downwards. Instead it's going directly into oncoming drivers' eyes. If you're obsessed with having more light on the road at night, please retrofit a proper HID housing in there.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #13
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
I'm sorry for being highly opinionated when it comes to things that affect other drivers on the road. I spent 7 years doing nothing but designing and manufacturing custom lighting, so I know more about reflector and lens design, light dispersion, and lumens than most. Definitely not "little". I fully understand color temperature and wattage consumption. I was referring to the typical lumen output of an LED bulb at that wattage. The problem is that the reflectors in the DRL housings are designed SPECIFICALLY to SCATTER the light, as in a flood light, to increase the visibility OTHER drivers have of YOUR car during the DAYTIME, when ambient light conditions are greater. The housings are also designed to handle a certain amount of candlepower, and when that amount is increased, light scatter increases due to overpowering the reflector. The same thing happens when installing a HID bulb in a headlight housing not designed for it, the light scatter is caused by the reflectors being overpowered and inappropriate lens design, not just because they are brighter. The DRLS are designed to turn off at night due to these facts.
A color temperature would not make your lights appear brighter, as stated. A color temperature of 6-7k is getting I into the blue range, whereas a color temp of 4.8k-4.9k is closer to white. Color is color, not brightness. It's the increase of lumen output that makes it appear brighter. I stated earlier about the 8k HIDs because they are the purple looking HIDs that everyone around here likes to shove in their stock housings.

Last edited by 2012LS3VERT; 03-01-2014 at 10:56 AM.
2012LS3VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:45 AM   #14
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
Good info on here. I've played with different LED lighting in my DRLS and cars with Fog lights. Most LED's bought through www.DHGATE.com in China for cheap. Just had one fail after 2 years of constant use. Anyway the thing I've come to realize is that the marketed wattage on these lights vary greatly. I installed 30 watt leds in a Dodge Caliber fog lights and they are a whiter color, about 5500, and are rated the same lumens as the original incand bulbs but do not look as bright, probably due to the direction the light is projected. have 50 watt LED in a Dodge Caravan Fog light, about the same brightness as original incand bulb. Both have Cree chips front and side. In the Camaro I have 11 watt LED Cree and Plasma style in the DRL's. They are around 5-6k in color and match the halos well. They disperse the light well and are not blinding. In all the applications above I have never been flashed by anyone for having my lights too bright. I would be concerned using the 80 watt cree LED's. I originally had 7.5 watt DRL LEDS but wasnt happy with the color match. Those were purchased from a CAMARO5 vendor. Cost for the ones I use now vary between $10-$20 a pair depending on the lot size.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote