Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #1
ShadowYYZ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT Deep Magenta
Catch can too late?

Hi all, would it be to late to install a catch can..? I'm literally at 26k miles and well, maybe a few months ago I ghost read a thread about someone being denied warranty work for a catch can install. Not sure, what happen to that thread or situation but, would I still benefit from a catch can..? Or is it to late.. thanks
ShadowYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
It's never to late. If you want to add one then add it. Not going to say you need it or not though
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
That thread was a really interesting one, and got a lot of people thinking. Long story short, he experienced the common, and TSB's oil pump failure on his LS3. Towed car to a Cadillac dealer. The dealer, unfamiliar with the LS3, did not recognize the catch can, sent pics to GM's Tech Assistance Center, and they blocked the warranty work due to aftermarket parts. He fixed the car himself.

I would highly recommend having a conversation with the service manager at your servicing dealership before making any changes.

Is it too late for a catch can? No, not on a direct injection engine. The valve coking is going to continue to get worse, and eventually pieces of the carbon will chip off. A catch can won't stop it completely, but it will slow the process down.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
A catch can is a great investment into your engine if you plan on keeping the car for a while. The said dealership in that particular thread were morons.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:39 PM   #5
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Get a catch can now.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #6
deweyg63

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 500+ h.p. monster
Catch cans do work but I believe like many things they grew fast in popularity and it turned into a snowball effect. I've got a 2003 truck with no catch can and 230k miles with I'm sure a lot of deposits in the valve train. My Camaro has 55k and will never see 230k. Not worried....not wasting my time or money on a catch can
deweyg63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #7
MrChrisLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyg63 View Post
Catch cans do work but I believe like many things they grew fast in popularity and it turned into a snowball effect. I've got a 2003 truck with no catch can and 230k miles with I'm sure a lot of deposits in the valve train. My Camaro has 55k and will never see 230k. Not worried....not wasting my time or money on a catch can
True, but the op has a direct injection engine, which has a completely different issue with carbon build up than our port injected engines. For direct injection, a good catch can is almost vital to longer engine life.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:29 PM   #8
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
True, but the op has a direct injection engine, which has a completely different issue with carbon build up than our port injected engines. For direct injection, a good catch can is almost vital to longer engine life.
Yup.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #9
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
So not as vital on the 6.2L?

It's on my list, but after the new exhaust.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:26 PM   #10
MrChrisLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
So not as vital on the 6.2L?

It's on my list, but after the new exhaust.
The injectors on port injection spray fuel almost directly on the back of the valves, essentially washing them of the oil vapor present from the PCV residue. The direct injection engines don't have this benefit, as the fuel is sprayed directly into the cylinder. The PCV residue remains on the back of the valve and valve stems and gets baked on by the heat. It's a well documented issue.

The port injection engine will benefit from a catch can as it does remove the majority of the oil from the PCV air, creating a cleaner air charge as well as keeping the intake cleaner.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #11
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
MrChris is correct.

Most dealers are competent enough to not hassle you, and more and more are selling and installing these for customers. It just tales education. Also, keep in mind that instance is the ONLY documented instance of an Elite CC being blamed, and as the OP of the threads found out, the tech/dealer did not even diagnose his engine as being bad correctly. Pure ineptness all the way around. Tech, Service Manager, and GM for accepting their crazy claim.

One thing that is important is to perform a manual intake valve cleaning (NOT a solvent based engine running type!!) , and to make sure you install a E2 or E2-X with CSS AND the dual outlets/valves as all GDI engines are very intolerant of any oil and other contaminant ingestion.

Let us know if you need any guidance.

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:00 PM   #12
William.23

Drives: 2011 Summit White.
I've taken my car to the dealership multiple times ( For Oil Changes ) A stabilitrak issue, and they tried bsing me for parts I didn't need...

Point being I installed my catch can @ 4k Miles, I'm now at 35k.
The dealership never noticed the catch can sticking out, maybe because I got it the same color as my car (White) so it looks stock/factory. Nor have they ever questioned or brought it to my attention.

Point being : Catch Can is necessary if you don't want your piston crowns, rings, etc building up with a bunch of gunk. That eventually you'll have to get a service to clean it out which = $$$.

So, preventing the amount of PCV oil/fluid that goes into your intake manifold is a must (So I believe, it doesn't start running into issues *due to build up*

How many 500 ml bottles have I filled up since my install with the Catch Can...
Probably between 10-15 full 500ml bottles - Which means all that crap would have gotten into my engine.
William.23 is offline   Reply With Quote