Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
Bravo64

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro LS
Help, with stripes please

New here. Just purchased a 2011 Camaro LS. It's silver w/blk racing stripes. My question is, what product can I use on the black matte stripes? There are some, what appears to be water stains that will not come out with just soap/water. I went to my local advance auto and the sales guy recommended using a clay bar. Is he correct? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, the car has some custom rims from "American Racing" they too have a flat blk inside the wheel. Can you apply a coat of wax to them? Thanks again!
Bravo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
meshamey
Meshamey

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / 2014 Camaro ZL1
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151434

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162119

All the info on the strips you need. I was told never clay bar them.
meshamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
Adam's Brilliant Glaze followed by Adam's Super VRT.
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Here is some info pulled from another recent thread you'll find useful:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@SCG View Post
A few simple rules for matte stripe care -

Avoid any soaps with wax or gloss enhancers in them. Over time these additives will build up and cause uneven or blotchy looking stripes. A good option is SCG Balanced Wash

Avoid wax based detail spray / spray wax for the same reason. Stick to a quick detailer thats safe for satin or matte finishes SCG Polymer Detail Spray

Like mentioned above, mask your stripes off if you prefer to keep polish and wax residues off of them when treating the surrounding paint.

If they start to look chalky or faded a quality water based dressing for vinyl will work. I like SCG Pro ETC for the simple fact its more concentrated than alternatives giving you the ability to dilute it with water to keep the gloss as low as you like. It also outlasts the competition when exposed to water.

If you do for whatever reason accidentally get some wax residues onto the stripes (hey, we all make mistakes) then use a highly diluted mix of original blue dawn dish soap or an APC concentrate with degreasing properties and clean the area when its cool to the touch. Flush well with water and dress afterwards.

Hope that helps!

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote