Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
BigE82

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Drive and Sport question

I don't understand why when I hardly feel any difference between Drive and Sport? I have the trifecta tune and the shifts feel the same to me in both modes. I don't feel like the shift points have changed either unless I use the paddle shifters. basically I want two different feels between options normal in Drive and aggressive in Sport. Is there anyway to achieve this or is it just wishful thinking?
Old 09-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I have no idea about what happens to the 2 modes (S & D) after the tune, but i'd like to know as when I get my headers, I will need a tune. All I know is that there is a big difference between the 2 modes now.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
BigE82

even before my tune I never really felt any difference I was really hoping that with the tune there would be a permanent noticeable difference.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
All I can say is that for me, the differences are most noticeable at WOT (tuned or not tuned). At part throttle, aka "normal" driving there isn't much difference, IMO. Open her up, and the transmission tune comes to life. As far as I can tell, the Trifecta transmission tune is only affecting sport mode; and if I'm not gettin' on it, there isn't any significant difference. I didn't request anything special regarding the transmission tune, so I assume I have the "regular" settings. Is everyone who is tuned sure they loaded the transmission tune? There is a check box for it at flash time...
Old 09-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
J_Vibe92

Drives: 2013 Mustang 5.0
floor it in drive and floor it in sport. youll know where the transmission tune is. trust me haha
Visual mods: Eagle Eyes w/5k hids, Custom Hood Spears, Heritage Grille, Stage 2 LED Dome lights,Transformer Emblems, PD Bezels, 19in Chevy rims with pirellis, Blue painted calipers, GM GFX Front Splitter, 35/20 % Tint, TailLight Tint(charcoal)
1/4 Mile: 13.65 sec @ 102.53 mph R.I.P.
J_Vibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Been asked several times on this site.

Main difference is this:

1) Sport mode will shift earlier and more often than in normal driving mode.
2) If the car senses that you are driving the car in a sporty/track-like manner (basically hammering the throttle and taking curves quickly) it will stay in a low gear and keep your rpms high(4,000+ rpm). It will stay this way until you just cruise for a good 30+ seconds and at that point it will then go back to shifting like normal.

I'm not sure if the shift is any firmer in sport mode, but if you drive the car hard enough you will EASILY notice the differences I've described above.

If your car is tuned, you should be able to tell your tuner to apply your desired changes to both drive and sport, or just sport.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
BigE82

Thanks for the added input. I've used both drive and sport while running at the track and didn't really feel or see any changes.
Some times the trans acts like I want it to in sport when I'm driving more aggressivly and feels like its shifting harder and staying in a gear longer or down shifting sooner. I just want it to do that all the time but if i can request on my next data log that Vince make that change a "perminant" one then I'm all for that.