Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Cbaublitz

Drives: inferno orange lfx 2013
mod question

ok guys I have got my car about a month ago. ordered a short throw from Hurst already. What other mods would you recommend to do. have a few bucks to spend so trying to get the best for what I have. also this car is my daily for a little.
Cbaublitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Axle back mufflers or Cat back system
high flow cats
cold air intake
ported throttle body
oil catch can
wheels
turbo
stripes
exterior trim/ground effects
super charger

The list goes on. You just have to ask yourself what is important to you. I started with MRT V2.0 axle back mufflers because getting a deeper more aggressive sounding exhaust was most important, I actually had did research on them before I bought the car and ordered them the day I got home with it. Shortly after I did white stripes and CAI because I thought the all black car needed contrast and CAI was to make it breathe easier and improve MPG. I have done a few other things but I did what I thought was most important to me. Pick something you want and go for it.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
JAX CAMARO

Drives: orange 2011 2SS/RS
I like to hear my car so my vote is ditch the stock pipes and when you can afford get some headers
ARH 1 7/8" Headers W/HFC, GM Performance Exhaust / K&N Typhoon CAI, Comp Custom Grind Dominator 3 Cam, Pioneer Dual Valve Springs, Trickflow Push rods, IWIS Timing Chain, Rapid Motorsports Tune, 496 RWHP
JAX CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaublitz View Post
ok guys I have got my car about a month ago. ordered a short throw from Hurst already. What other mods would you recommend to do. have a few bucks to spend so trying to get the best for what I have. also this car is my daily for a little.
skibik is right on the money with his list. I personally would say to start with an intake system and a catch can (don't skip the catch can!!) These 2 mods will help fuel mileage, sound, a little power increase and the catch can will keep your engine running great for years to come.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions or pricing.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
Buschman

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAX CAMARO View Post
I like to hear my car so my vote is ditch the stock pipes and when you can afford get some headers
You let me know when those magical "headers" become available for the LFX.

I say catch can first, cold air intake, exhaust (axle or cat back) and ported throttle body.
These really wakes up the car, pick the exhaust on sound there really is no noticeable HP gain difference between any of the exhausts.

Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
wolflee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
You let me know when those magical "headers" become available for the LFX.

I say catch can first, cold air intake, exhaust (axle or cat back) and ported throttle body.
These really wakes up the car, pick the exhaust on sound there really is no noticeable HP gain difference between any of the exhausts.
I agree.
I heard there's no header for LFX.
wolflee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Catch can first. Direct injection engines are highly susceptible to carbon build up. From there it completely depends on how you use your car and what you want it to do better. Induction and exhaust upgrades are usually where most customers start but suspension upgrades before adding power is a fun way to go.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAX CAMARO View Post
GHAAAA! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Cbaublitz

ok thanks for all the input guys. i have received my Hurst shifter today and its my day off, how convenient so that will be put in today. that was a must purchase after drove one with it in. i do not mind the stock sound for now. exhaust is on the list just not at the top right now. i am probably going to go with the mrt v2 for that. i was thinking cold air intake as my next purchase but which one. there are so many out there. catch can are usually not that much money just never installed one so not the best on that. also i want my car to handle well since its a daily now and a cruiser. i will take to the strip for fun at times. but i want a nice driver. do not need to run 9secs in the quarter. a quick handler is my idea right now. forced induction is in the brain but not for a bit.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaublitz View Post
ok thanks for all the input guys. i have received my Hurst shifter today and its my day off, how convenient so that will be put in today. that was a must purchase after drove one with it in. i do not mind the stock sound for now. exhaust is on the list just not at the top right now. i am probably going to go with the mrt v2 for that. i was thinking cold air intake as my next purchase but which one. there are so many out there. catch can are usually not that much money just never installed one so not the best on that. also i want my car to handle well since its a daily now and a cruiser. i will take to the strip for fun at times. but i want a nice driver. do not need to run 9secs in the quarter. a quick handler is my idea right now. forced induction is in the brain but not for a bit.
Sounds like the mod bug has bitten. Below is a link to a thread where I have compiled many of the tech articles I have posted. They are written to help people achieve a basic understanding of the topic so they can make an informed decision rather than relying solely on the recommendations of others. Give it a look and if you have any questions about anything don't hesitate to hit me up. That is what I am here for.

The Guide: 5th Gen Camaro Modification
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
BlackoutLFX

Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Cold air intake, complete exhaust with high flow performance cats, tune. If I had to only do three those would be the first!
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
BlackoutLFX

Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
The best mod I did for handling was bmr lowering springs 1.2", these jokers are HOT! Really sets your car apart from the pack. Performance anti roll bars and links. Be prepared for a little squeaks and groans due to the material used to mount the anti roll bars. CAI I personally run a k & n typhoon it's aight, can't complain.
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
Cbaublitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Sounds like the mod bug has bitten. Below is a link to a thread where I have compiled many of the tech articles I have posted. They are written to help people achieve a basic understanding of the topic so they can make an informed decision rather than relying solely on the recommendations of others. Give it a look and if you have any questions about anything don't hesitate to hit me up. That is what I am here for.

The Guide: 5th Gen Camaro Modification
thanks for this. this info explains a lot. now since my shifter is installed now it is time to do some research on other parts.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
Cbaublitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutLFX View Post
The best mod I did for handling was bmr lowering springs 1.2", these jokers are HOT! Really sets your car apart from the pack. Performance anti roll bars and links. Be prepared for a little squeaks and groans due to the material used to mount the anti roll bars. CAI I personally run a k & n typhoon it's aight, can't complain.
i was thinking springs. not to sure on that. i was think like the tunnel brace and subframe connectors. also was think strut tower bar. when launching car some i see it walks sideways. want to get rid of that.