Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #29
Fbodybuddy

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8
Hey Blur!!!!!!!!
Since you live in Lawrence would you happen to know Steve Mason? He is a guitar/musical instrument builder that did a killer restoration on a guitar of mine. Just curious. Can you also explain the "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" cheer. I find interest in the roots of college cheers.
Fbodybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:11 PM   #30
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
The Accord doesn't come with that feature that gets you LAID BY EVERY GIRL WHO SETS EYES ON IT like the Camaro does.
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #31
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Yeah the "only" thing I really think the Accord Coupe V6 has to compete with the V6 Camaro will be in the straight line performance. It could be real close, heck too close for comfort even, but other than that there really is no comparison between an Accord V6 and a Camaro V6...
Old 10-28-2008, 12:50 AM   #32
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowbr4 View Post
You should go on an Accord forum and see if there are as many enthusiast as there are on this forum. That may tell you something,
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/index.php

Take a look at the number of posts and threads compared to this site. There have been a lot of people that have taken it into their own hands to get some stuff out there for the Accord in the face of the aftermarket industry which has left it out to dry.
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:58 AM   #33
QS78

Drives: Camaro 1998
since u already own a vette, I would recommend you to go for the accord as a DD for reliability reason !!
QS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:05 AM   #34
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by QS78 View Post
since u already own a vette, I would recommend you to go for the accord as a DD for reliability reason !!
if your for real i recomend you put on yo' flame suit yo.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:07 AM   #35
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:18 AM   #36
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy48 View Post
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/index.php

Take a look at the number of posts and threads compared to this site. There have been a lot of people that have taken it into their own hands to get some stuff out there for the Accord in the face of the aftermarket industry which has left it out to dry.
I'm a member of this site; it's really helpful actually.
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #37
psmitty311

Drives: 1993 Honda Accord
For the last 4 years, I knew I going to buy a new GTI, when I could afford reasonable payments. When the 7th gen Accord coupe came out, I knew I was going to get a V6 version of it. And as of two months ago, I know I will be getting a 2LT/RS. I'll be buying late in the summer.

I'm still not sure which car I'll get between the Accord or the Camaro. Both have their pros and cons. Most of is has to do with personal preference. I like the center console and gauges better on the accord, but they would look ridiculous on a Camaro. I like the Camaro's styling better, and I like it's mpg better since it'll be my dd for downtown Atlanta. I would say cost is comparable between both when you take into account what you get and what dealers will actually charge. Accords generally sell below MSRP, and it looks like it may be some time before the Camaro does.

I drive a 93 Accord now. I love cars in general, so this is a special kind of torture since it's underpowered and old as hell. However, it's always been more reliable than any of my friends' cars. There's something to be said for that as well.

Bottom line, I'm leaning towards the Camaro, but I won't decide anything until I test drive both.
psmitty311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:04 AM   #38
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Guys I think you’re missing a point here that is being overlooked by emotion. That being the current generation (18-28 year olds) of buyers that have grown up with Imports.

I say this because when my 27 year old son (currently stationed in Iraq) sent me an e-mail asking advice on what NEW car he should buy when he returns in April, he already spec'd out the Accord V6 coupe. When I mentioned the new Camaro his reply was "Dad that's so 80's".

The vast majority of responders here are OLD gear heads that grew up with the F-Bodies and are now standing in line to buy the new one. But it's the younger generation that GM needs to win over else they will forfeit their future.

And BTW I had TWO slots at my local Cheby emporium and ordered him a 2SS/RS. But many of his contemporaries (in the USAF) all harbor the same feelings, they lean towards the Imports.

That's why the Accord (and other Imports) are IN DIRECT COMPRTITION with the Camaro.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #39
CamaroSSforme
Got my two

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - RJT/Black
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSSforme
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
I honestly think it's a legitimate comparison - for the Accord/Altima Coupe, not sedans (at all). If GM was able to tear me away from Honda to the extent that I'm visiting this site every hour for updates, a new color, a new angle, ANYTHING (and believe me, Honda fans don't go easily), how many more people like me are there? I have NEVER been a fan of the Mustang or Challenger <- retro-revival style wise/engine options - either too much or too little; GM knew they were making this car (Camaro V6) appeal to the import crowd in addition to the muscle fans. All the testing we've been seeing shows they're taking reliability very seriously.

um forgive me, but isn't that saying your job sucks so bad you spend all your time here? Just saying....
CamaroSSforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #40
CamaroSSforme
Got my two

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - RJT/Black
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSSforme
Quote:
Originally Posted by QS78 View Post
Welcome to 1989.....do us a favor. Read some reliability ratings and then come back and edit your inane post.
CamaroSSforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #41
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
I think it is a fair comparo as well. The camaro is going to need to compete with quite a few FWD applications that are in the same performance bracket as the V6 will be in.

Altima Coupe
Accord Coupe
Civic Si (mayyybe its a stretch but the perfrmance is there)
Challenger
Mustang
G6 GXP
Genesis Coupe
Maxima (i know its 4 door but it doesn't come in coupe version like altima civic G6)

Most people are only concered about straigh line performance anyway. It is pretty rare that anyone ever takes a car to its lateral breaking point or auto crosses. (At least in this V6 segment we are observing) So handling will be not a huge concern for potential buyers.

The V6 will fair ok with these other cars but each has its pluses and minuses against each other. I think the quickest to 60 and 1/4 will be the new accord at 5.6 / 14.0 with the camaro right behind it in the 1/4.

FWD gets the nod in bad weather but it harder to control with tq and just less fun. Camaro will fair well in MSRP to most as well but not get the best MPG of the bunch. I think it will steal a lot of sales as well once they are all over the street and more of the regular world sees them. We are the few that are following a car before its release. The average joe/jane doesn't even know there is a camaro coming out...yet
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #42
LarkVille

Drives: The Larkvillemobile
Fastball is correct. In the consumer market, especially when comparing V6s in the mid-high $20k range, Accord is a direct competitor. GM knows it. A lot of us are comparing performance competitors with market segment competing cars, which are too separate issues, BUT these cars do compare on both levels.
LarkVille is offline   Reply With Quote