Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-03-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Exclamation New Camaro Could Get This Engine: Pontiac Solstice Coupe to pack 300 horses?

Whoa...Since Camaro is a candidate for the current 260hp 4cyl. turbo, it could wind up with this version of the same engine.

I still have to have my 400hp plus V8 with manual trans, but this could make Camaro even more appealing for more people, and help CAFE numbers so we can keep driving our V8's.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/03/s...ck-300-horses/
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
HHMMmmmmmmmmmmm...Very interesting! What kind of MPG would this engine produce in the new camaro??? 22 to 28??? (HYW)
Old 04-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
jhitson

Drives: 88 Camaro, 01 S-10, 06 G6 GTP
Thats cool I guess. I like the solstice because, in my opinion, it is what the corvette was originally intended to be. A small 2-seat roadster. Now the vette is "supercar". I understand the upping the power to compete, but that is what has taken the vette so far from its roots. Would be a nice option in the camaro.
jhitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOODLESgoneWILD View Post
HHMMmmmmmmmmmmm...Very interesting! What kind of MPG would this engine produce in the new camaro??? 22 to 28??? (HYW)
Well, Bob Lutz said the 3.6L V6 gets 17mpg city, 25mpg hwy.

So this 2.0L 4cyl should do better if you stay off the boost.

Probably 28mpg hwy could happen, or maybe 30mpg which I saw quoted way back.

I just saw a Kia commercial with their little POS bragging about 32 mpg hwy. No performance, style, or comfort.

Everyone's going to need a Camaro - different versions for different people. Then it can live forever!
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I love the power/mileage ratio that GM's cars produce. I don't want a 4 banger in my Camaro. Even if it had 400 hp, I'd still rather have the V8. I don't expect this 300 hp engine to deliver spectacular mileage though. Look at the Evo and the WRX STi. They make ~300 hp on a turbo I4 and get mid 20's for mileage and be a little bit lighter than the Camaro will be, not too much though.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Pontiac NEEDS to make a 4 door AWD sedan/hatch and put this new upgraded engine in it to go head to head to head with the STI and Evo. Now that would be a G5 to be proud of.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #7
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Talking for all the rest that likes way better gas mpg

But I would still get the V8 V8 V8 LS3 gota have more power
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhitson View Post
Thats cool I guess. I like the solstice because, in my opinion, it is what the corvette was originally intended to be. A small 2-seat roadster. Now the vette is "supercar". I understand the upping the power to compete, but that is what has taken the vette so far from its roots. Would be a nice option in the camaro.
how has the Vette strayed from its roots at all? still all fiberglass body. The first one to be non-fiberglass will be the ZR1 with fiberglass/CF on it. it hasn't changed size really. It still has 2 seats, and it still has only V8's in the engine bay. so where has the straying happened? Because back in the day the C1 was a world class contender in autosports...
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:14 AM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS9CamaroSS View Post
how has the Vette strayed from its roots at all? still all fiberglass body. The first one to be non-fiberglass will be the ZR1 with fiberglass/CF on it. it hasn't changed size really. It still has 2 seats, and it still has only V8's in the engine bay. so where has the straying happened? Because back in the day the C1 was a world class contender in autosports...
when I think of C1's I think of a happy little roadster not a world beating sports car. After that it got an attitude adjustment and became an icon. Thats how I see it. If you were to debadge the cars and sit a C1, a C6, and Solstice. Then get someone who doesn't know anything about cars, and tell them one car is an old corvette, which is the new corvette? I'd bet most would say the pontiac and not the C6.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:08 AM   #10
BumbleBee
Yes, I am a girl

Drives: 2006 Pontiac Vibe
Talking Don't forget the Vibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Pontiac NEEDS to make a 4 door AWD sedan/hatch and put this new upgraded engine in it to go head to head to head with the STI and Evo. Now that would be a G5 to be proud of.
Pontiac already makes a hatchback, Vibe, but I do agree they need to put a more powerful engine in it. The 2.4 4 cyl is an upgrade from the 1.6 of prevous years, but they need a turbo.

...second to none
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:26 AM   #11
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Excellent news! SC cars are easy to extract more power from too. Could we possibly see many turbo 4's with higher hp's than V6 versions with just a reflash or chip??
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Excellent news! SC cars are easy to extract more power from too. Could we possibly see many turbo 4's with higher hp's than V6 versions with just a reflash or chip??

This is exactly the thinking I've had and why I would prefer FI this go around. It's hard to identify a pulley change whereas a big cam or big exhaust will wave a big flag where I live. Shoot, a boost controller on that turbo engine would easily allow it to make more power and most would not know the better. Of course, this could come at an expense to durability in the long-run...

I can't do as much cool or fun stuff to my car because of the tree huggers so even though I won't be looking at a turbo-4 or V6, I think it's these little engines that will allow our car to have engines that I, personally, hope will be available in a few years. Everything around here revolves around CARB numbers so the more stealthy my modifications, the better.

To sum up: anything GM can do to give us the most power for good fuel economy the better (DUH!) If this will allow GM to creap even more powerful engines into the line-up later, EVEN BETTER. If you ask me: WAY TO GO GM!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:26 PM   #13
JustinZS

Drives: waitin on 2010 !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post

This is exactly the thinking I've had and why I would prefer FI this go around. It's hard to identify a pulley change whereas a big cam or big exhaust will wave a big flag where I live. Shoot, a boost controller on that turbo engine would easily allow it to make more power and most would not know the better. Of course, this could come at an expense to durability in the long-run...
A boost controller (ECU reflash or piggyback etc.) won't necessarily come at the expense of durability. I'm not sure what the top end and how good the internals on the ECOTEC engines are but if it's high, upping the boost a bit won't really hurt durability in the long run.

The idea of a boosted Camaro is definitely new to me and something I gotta get used to but it really does open up new sales demographic and big aftermarket tuning market.
JustinZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:16 AM   #14
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post

I can't do as much cool or fun stuff to my car because of the tree huggers so even though I won't be looking at a turbo-4 or V6, I think it's these little engines that will allow our car to have engines that I, personally, hope will be available in a few years. Everything around here revolves around CARB numbers so the more stealthy my modifications, the better.

To sum up: anything GM can do to give us the most power for good fuel economy the better (DUH!) If this will allow GM to creap even more powerful engines into the line-up later, EVEN BETTER. If you ask me: WAY TO GO GM!!!
I know what you're saying. My future brother in law lives in Elk Grove and apparently gets nailed all the time for supposedly illegal mods on his car all the time. Apparently a big problem up there is that the police really enforce the "each mod by itself passes CARB, but together they don't" regulations. His friend who works as a tuner says all of their cars pass the sniffer test, but get nailed on visual inspections. One more reason I'm looking to get out of California. Kinda , but does anyone know how the car emissions laws are in Florida? In the company I work for, everyone seems to do some time out there, so that's probably where I'll end up.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote