Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
RedHotRuby

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS LFX
Question Any Valdity to this K & N Air Filter Claim?

I did a search but couldn't find anything about this. This guy claims putting in a K & N Air Filter increased his mpg like crazy. I can see a little improvment but his almost went up over half. Any mechanics or people who have done this out there verify this? Video seemed like a commercial for K & N but not sure.

Does a new air filter give you better gas mileage?

RedHotRuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Probably no more than 1mpg I would think
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
LMFAO ......
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Very little difference with a filter alonse unless the previous filter was almost completely stopped up.

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
If it was true K&N would be the first to put hard numbers in their sales brochure. But it isn't.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
LuSe4

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Never gonna happen.
If that was the case, those upcoming government mpg targets would be a breeze! Just add an oiled air filter!
Old 08-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
Camaro2Tymer

Drives: 2014 2LS, 1994 Z28, 1982 Z28
I noticed an increase on HWY MPG after swapping out the stock intake, not just a filter though.
Camaro2Tymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
It increased my MPG quite a bit when I keep my foot out of it
All in all K&N does guarantee it or your money back not sure if everyone else does
But depending on other factors such as foot these cold air filters and intakes do help MPG
Old 08-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimorejohn1 View Post
It increased my MPG quite a bit when I keep my foot out of it
All in all K&N does guarantee it or your money back not sure if everyone else does
But depending on other factors such as foot these cold air filters and intakes do help MPG
But by how much? Most of the intake/filter companies post nebulous numbers at best (I respect the few who advertise here who actually post numeric HP gains - gutsy! ).

If I recall correctly, K&N say 1-3% (?) on the oiled filter. That's statistically as close to a guarantee as placebo or margin for error. Intakes make more sense to actually see those results, since the entire airflow system being used is improved/replaced. Plus independent studies indicate the issue isn't the amount of air being allowed into and through the stock box, as much as the source of air (temp) and restrictive/less efficient funneling of the air into the engine. A true CAI (COLD air intake) addresses those two issues, hence people see actual gains (albeit small) with CAIs.

So you really only see that 1% benefit in power/fuel efficiency with oiled filters. Maybe the 3% HP gains with a tune and CAI. That translates roughly to maybe a 1 MPG increase with an oiled filter (marginal hp/tq increase) and ~10hp/tq increase with a CAI. You can even get more from a CAI if you port the air in fresh (ram), and would see larger numbers on a larger engine due to the mere math of the gains (same percent of a larger output engine = larger numeric gain).

The biggest benefit of the oiled filters is how many times you get to clean and re-oil them. If cleaned, dried, and re-oiled properly they will outlive most of the cars they're in.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Maybe this helps someone though who is cloudy on the subject since there's so much incorrect and anecdotal information posted on these solutions.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #10
Chris14RS

Drives: RRM RS v6
I have a CAI intake, but I got it so early I don't know how much of a difference it made. But I can pull 36 mpg if I stay out of the gas and sometimes 40 if I drive like a grandpa.
BARTON SS
Airlift Suspension V2

Niche Targa 20x10.5
Chris14RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #11
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
But by how much? Most of the intake/filter companies post nebulous numbers at best (I respect the few who advertise here who actually post numeric HP gains - gutsy! ).

If I recall correctly, K&N say 1-3% (?) on the oiled filter. That's statistically as close to a guarantee as placebo or margin for error. Intakes make more sense to actually see those results, since the entire airflow system being used is improved/replaced. Plus independent studies indicate the issue isn't the amount of air being allowed into and through the stock box, as much as the source of air (temp) and restrictive/less efficient funneling of the air into the engine. A true CAI (COLD air intake) addresses those two issues, hence people see actual gains (albeit small) with CAIs.

So you really only see that 1% benefit in power/fuel efficiency with oiled filters. Maybe the 3% HP gains with a tune and CAI. That translates roughly to maybe a 1 MPG increase with an oiled filter (marginal hp/tq increase) and ~10hp/tq increase with a CAI. You can even get more from a CAI if you port the air in fresh (ram), and would see larger numbers on a larger engine due to the mere math of the gains (same percent of a larger output engine = larger numeric gain).

The biggest benefit of the oiled filters is how many times you get to clean and re-oil them. If cleaned, dried, and re-oiled properly they will outlive most of the cars they're in.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Maybe this helps someone though who is cloudy on the subject since there's so much incorrect and anecdotal information posted on these solutions.
All I know is K&N did well enough to be what Chevy used for the Z/28 and NASCAR
Everyone always use the bad press as evidence against K&N but never the good

Most of the good claims for K&N were done by outside people
Mine works well and no one with other cold air intakes ran away from me with the 2011 nor the 2014

Gas mileage is more about your foot my SS jumped quite a bit in MPG highway after I put it on and I wasn't going slow.......
MPG has more to do with driving habits but cold air intakes do help with MPG

I still say get what you want because it's not even worth the debate between these different intakes....
Old 08-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #12
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Absolutely not. Probably took a video of him driving down an incline.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #13
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post

If I recall correctly, K&N say 1-3% (?) on the oiled filter. That's statistically as close to a guarantee as placebo or margin for error.
I wonder why GM uses Active Fuel Management when it only increases gas mileage by ~5-7%... Intakes make more sense to actually see those results, since the entire airflow system being used is improved/replaced. Plus independent studies indicate the issue isn't the amount of air being allowed into and through the stock box, as much as the source of air (temp) and restrictive/less efficient funneling of the air into the engine. A true CAI (COLD air intake) addresses those two issues, hence people see actual gains (albeit small) with CAIs.

So you really only see that 1% benefit in power/fuel efficiency with oiled filters. Maybe the 3% HP gains with a tune and CAI. 3% of 300 would be 9hp. Every time an LFX is tuned alone it has shown around a 15-20whp gain.Perhaps a better statement would be the 3% HP gains with a CAI alone? That translates roughly to maybe a 1 MPG increase with an oiled filter (marginal hp/tq increase) and ~10hp/tq increase with a CAI. You can even get more from a CAI if you port the air in fresh (ram), and would see larger numbers on a larger engine due to the mere math of the gains (same percent of a larger output engine = larger numeric gain).

The biggest benefit of the oiled filters is how many times you get to clean and re-oil them. If cleaned, dried, and re-oiled properly they will outlive most of the cars they're in. I thought oiled filters were snake oil that should never be used in cars? Lol.

It should be noted that the entire video is a joke, for those of you that may not have watched it. He said he was getting 17 liters per kilometer before, and when the video starts he was getting 13.5 which degraded to 10... He lost mileage. A lot.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:23 AM   #14
sspolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
It should be noted that the entire video is a joke, for those of you that may not have watched it. He said he was getting 17 liters per kilometer before, and when the video starts he was getting 13.5 which degraded to 10... He lost mileage. A lot.
I think it meant 17L/100km was it used 17 liters to drive 100 kilometers so now he can do the same 100 kilometers with 10 liters. That's what I think but I don't know...

I also don't know how the hell you guys get such good gas mileage. I drove 55+ miles at 55+MPH (at times it was around 65MPH) on cruise control on 6th gear and best I got was 20.3 MPG. Hope this changes.
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote