Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Build Your Own LS7 or LS9 Crate Engine

Pretty cool.

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...ce=twitterfeed
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
bluetorp

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM M6
A cool premise, but ouch on the price...
Old 10-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

Drives: 2010 L99
hmmm... cool deal, ? I thought a LS7 was like 14,000 through jegs??? idk
mgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodbar View Post
hmmm... cool deal, ? I thought a LS7 was like 14,000 through jegs??? idk
Well, it's not just a crate engine you buy. This is the whole experience including going to the factory and having GM give you some tips and tricks on the build. It does seem expensive, but for the overall experience it would be very cool,.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
GMteSSted

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Added this to my post-lottery winner's bucket list......would be pretty cool!
GMteSSted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Cool stuff. I have been to the Performance Build Center and have seen the customer experience "build your own" assembly line. That place is absolutely top shelf for low volume high quality manufacturing.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:56 AM   #7
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Very cool experience but for the money we can beat the crap out of it with one of our engines...

LS7 at $22750....
Horsepower: 505 @ 6,300 rpm
Torque: 470 lb.-ft. @ 4,800 rpm

Our 457 will make 750hp and 550tq for the same price and beat up both engines...
But whats real interesting here is the compressoin of the LS9..
Induction: supercharged
Compression ratio: 9.1:1
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
andredmg
Big Nasty

Drives: Chevys lots of em
That would be an awesome experience and a build I would keep for life, very cool thanx for the info.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:51 AM   #9
jeffgtx

Drives: sosltice
anyone in the corvette forums who has done the build experience has raved about it.
jeffgtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:44 AM   #10
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Charging more to build your own engine...hrrmmm..

Wonder if I could have a program where customers could come to our warehouse, and pay more to label, and ship their own boxes to themselves.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:21 AM   #11
casper sc/1ss/rs

Drives: 2011 camaro ss vortech supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
Charging more to build your own engine...hrrmmm..

Wonder if I could have a program where customers could come to our warehouse, and pay more to label, and ship their own boxes to themselves.
casper sc/1ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #12
jeffgtx

Drives: sosltice
I just participated in the program this week. Let me fill you in.

It was with tremendous jealousy that I read the announcement about the corvette engine build experience when it was made. If I were in the position to buy a corvette, I would have signed up immediately.

I had hopes of buying a LS7 crate engine one day for a project and wondered if there would ever be a day where Chevy would consider opening the program to crate engine buyers as well. Thankfully, as the OP pointed out, at SEMA this year, they did. The Crate Engine Build Experience allows you to go to Wixom and build your LS7 or LS9 create engine just like you would if you were buying a Z06 or ZR1. But instead of heading down to Bowling green, the crate engine goes to your builder, garage, etc.

If you are in the market for a Z06, ZR1, or an LS7 or LS9 crate engine for your camaro or any other car, I can't put into words how strongly I recommend taking part in the Corvette or Crate Engine Build experience. Do it. It is worth it. Take a friend, spouse, family member, significant other, whoever and share the excitement with them. You are treated first class from the night you arrive until you leave the plant. it is a great day. They could easily just share the build experience, but they go beyond that.

I had extremely high expectations for the program based on reading so many positive reviews on the corvette website, and my build exceeded every single one of them.

My assigned builder and all the guys at Wixom are part of something special and unique and it isn't very often that a company opens that to customers. I didn't want to leave and the memories and momentos I have of the day are priceless.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to say thank you to a non sponsor, but Tom at crate engine depot was great helping me get my order placed and handling all the logistics.

I would do it again in heartbeat, and hope I have a project or corvette purchase in my future that would allow me to do so.

Thanks again Don, Rob and the entire Wixom and Chevy Performance Teams for an incredible day.

Hopefully, you will all have a chance to experience what I just did.

If you guys have any questions about it, i am not having a hard time talking about it! Fire Away.

Jeff

PS, there are a few snippets of my build on the Chevy Performance facebook page. Look at the wall postings from 12/5.

http://www.facebook.com/chevroletperformance
jeffgtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #13
andredmg
Big Nasty

Drives: Chevys lots of em
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgtx View Post
I just participated in the program this week. Let me fill you in.

It was with tremendous jealousy that I read the announcement about the corvette engine build experience when it was made. If I were in the position to buy a corvette, I would have signed up immediately.

I had hopes of buying a LS7 crate engine one day for a project and wondered if there would ever be a day where Chevy would consider opening the program to crate engine buyers as well. Thankfully, as the OP pointed out, at SEMA this year, they did. The Crate Engine Build Experience allows you to go to Wixom and build your LS7 or LS9 create engine just like you would if you were buying a Z06 or ZR1. But instead of heading down to Bowling green, the crate engine goes to your builder, garage, etc.

If you are in the market for a Z06, ZR1, or an LS7 or LS9 crate engine for your camaro or any other car, I can't put into words how strongly I recommend taking part in the Corvette or Crate Engine Build experience. Do it. It is worth it. Take a friend, spouse, family member, significant other, whoever and share the excitement with them. You are treated first class from the night you arrive until you leave the plant. it is a great day. They could easily just share the build experience, but they go beyond that.

I had extremely high expectations for the program based on reading so many positive reviews on the corvette website, and my build exceeded every single one of them.

My assigned builder and all the guys at Wixom are part of something special and unique and it isn't very often that a company opens that to customers. I didn't want to leave and the memories and momentos I have of the day are priceless.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to say thank you to a non sponsor, but Tom at crate engine depot was great helping me get my order placed and handling all the logistics.

I would do it again in heartbeat, and hope I have a project or corvette purchase in my future that would allow me to do so.

Thanks again Don, Rob and the entire Wixom and Chevy Performance Teams for an incredible day.

Hopefully, you will all have a chance to experience what I just did.

If you guys have any questions about it, i am not having a hard time talking about it! Fire Away.

Jeff

PS, there are a few snippets of my build on the Chevy Performance facebook page. Look at the wall postings from 12/5.

http://www.facebook.com/chevroletperformance
Awesome man and congrats, we are all jealous of you now lol. That Solstice is gonna fly,you're gonna need wheelie bars and a chute now...
Old 12-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #14
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram

Cool but there comes a point where you're just ripping people off.
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote