Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #43
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
Nice...

It feels like some folks are desperate to see Z/28 market values crash. Kind of a Schadenfreude thing, where folks who either don't like the car or are pissed about the price point seem to want to see it fail in some way.

And they could be right -- but I could care less. I bought mine to drive and enjoy -- though I'm not getting quite as much "street joy" as you. I'm sure the Z06 will prove to be a fine car, but it's not for me. Even if I could fit inside one, it's gone a little too "GT-R" for my tastes. A little too "digital" compared to the analog dinosaur that is my Z/28.

In short, cars -- especially modern ones -- are not investments. I'm hoping to track the hell out of my Z/28, and -- at some point -- I may try to make it even more of a track monster by stripping out weight and talking to the folks at Katech. That's right -- I may end up destroying the value of my "collector's car"...
You are a trash-talker and a heretic.

Seriously, right on!

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #44
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Nice...

It feels like some folks are desperate to see Z/28 market values crash. Kind of a Schadenfreude thing, where folks who either don't like the car or are pissed about the price point seem to want to see it fail in some way.

And they could be right -- but I could care less. I bought mine to drive and enjoy -- though I'm not getting quite as much "street joy" as you. I'm sure the Z06 will prove to be a fine car, but it's not for me. Even if I could fit inside one, it's gone a little too "GT-R" for my tastes. A little too "digital" compared to the analog dinosaur that is my Z/28.

In short, cars -- especially modern ones -- are not investments. I'm hoping to track the hell out of my Z/28, and -- at some point -- I may try to make it even more of a track monster by stripping out weight and talking to the folks at Katech. That's right -- I may end up destroying the value of my "collector's car"...
No way it won't happen,they are a limited production "Halo"car.

People that can't afford one(Z/28) will get a V6 or SS and dress it up for the look.

They may even buy a ZL1 instead.

The Z/28 will hold its value though.

BTW I would love to be able to afford one,maybe I can re- mortgage the house
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #45
Zenthusiast

Drives: '14 Z/28
Quote:
Nice...
It's failing alright...failing to disappoint.
Zenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #46
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenthusiast View Post
It's failing alright...failing to disappoint.
Lol...

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #47
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
Not a fan of the wheel well extensions. Looks like an after thought. :(
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #48
Zenthusiast

Drives: '14 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipinminn View Post
It is probable the photos are misleading.

Like a good wine, the Z/28 is best appreciated in person.
Zenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #49
102SS
waiting at the tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipinminn View Post
Well yeah they kind of are,when you stuff 305's all the way around and the law says they need to remain within the bodywork.....

I don't think they(GM) are going to re-engineer the car for 5,000 units.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:46 PM   #50
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
Well yeah they kind of are,when you stuff 305's all the way around and the law says they need to remain within the bodywork.....

I don't think they(GM) are going to re-engineer the car for 5,000 units.
Nailed it. You have to look at a Z/28, drive it on track, and marvel at the fact that the Z/28 does what it does DESPITE being based on a basic platform that has to be engineered in a way that it can be sold for $26K -- and still make a profit. That amazes me...
Old 08-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #51
102SS
waiting at the tree

Quote:
Nailed it. You have to look at a Z/28, drive it on track, and marvel at the fact that the Z/28 does what it does DESPITE being based on a basic platform that has to be engineered in a way that it can be sold for $26K -- and still make a profit. That amazes me...
I agree just think how much power potential this platform has.

The chassis so stiff and solid they aren't(GM) afraid to add 600hp(ok 580 in the ZL1)

I bet the lighter Z/28 is a real blast to drive with those huge Carbon Ceramic brakes.

I know how deep I can dive into corners with my SS, it must be unreal and retina popping for you guys.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:45 PM   #52
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Nice...

the last investment car was the Ford GT. (possibly some odd ball exotic that most people never heard of)

As for tanking values - yeah id love to see it. But that is so I can buy one. Right now i live through this board until i get the chance to get back into an LS7 powered car. Only this one my whole family can ride along!
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:39 PM   #53
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
There is no doubt, this is such a great car. You could spend more money, a lot more money on a car, but the incremental return would be negligible until you got over the $500k mark.

Personally I could give a rat's ass about leather sun visors and steering columns and "claim" of fine [country name] engineering for which I am paying an arm and a leg for.

I do care about performance and visceral reward and that feeling in my guts when I walk up to the car, the Z/28 turns it up to "11" on those points.

Forget tracking, go find a great twisty scenic road.

*Beautiful to look at
*Wide, elastic powerband
*Rumbly gurgly exhaust
*Solid, smooth shifting
*Tight platform, feels like carved from billet
*Great cruise control

At some point this car will be widely recognized as being one of the all-time "great ones". I still feel like I stole it for $75k. Awesome job Chevy, awesome job.
My feelings exactly, albeit a year later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
Find road. Drive car. Repeat.
That pretty much sums it up. Trying to as much as I can.

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:59 PM   #54
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
Amazing car no doubt but the only turn of to me is 500hp. If I bought a Z/28 I would take that right to Hennessey and get the 650hp package.

I personally think the ZL1 is a better car than the Z/28, mainly because its a daily driver, great handling and more hp.

The Z/28 is more of a track only car, and I couldn't spend that much money just for a track car.

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:17 AM   #55
razorz28

Drives: 2017 Jeep Rubicon, 2016 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamDiesel420 View Post
Amazing car no doubt but the only turn of to me is 500hp. If I bought a Z/28 I would take that right to Hennessey and get the 650hp package.

I personally think the ZL1 is a better car than the Z/28, mainly because its a daily driver, great handling and more hp.

The Z/28 is more of a track only car, and I couldn't spend that much money just for a track car.
Let me get this straight. You drive an SS but doing a comparison of a ZL1 and a Z/28. If you get a Z/28 the first thing you should do is take a driving course so you can actually use the 505hp. I've had both of the Z's and doing a comparison a waste of time. They both do so many different things so great.

IMO most people that are pissed off about the Z/28 is because they will never be able to have one. So why not talk crap about it.
2014 Z/28 Black VIN #176
razorz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:11 AM   #56
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamDiesel420 View Post

I'm curious as to whether you've owned or driven both the ZL1 and Z/28. Or, have you formed your opinion based off what you've read and the price tag only?

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote