Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-04-2014, 01:20 AM   #1
bigblockz8

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS, 05 Trailblazer LS
Unhappy Hit a Deer :(

Tonight I hit a deer and luckily it hit my plate and I drove over it. It did a LOT of damage that could not be photographed thanks to my lack of owning a lift. I am 19, on a budget and pay my own payments/insurance so not only is my premium already high but I cannot make a claim on this (Ironically my rate lowered by 29/mo this week).

After two hours of working on the side of the road I resolved the bumper issue and got it back to the flush position. I also removed what I presume to be a tie rod(?) and beat it back to shape.

I have only worked on aircraft before so need help figuring out:

1.Where to get a STOCK splitter(?)

2. What causes a SEVERE left pull? (It was not as bad after I beat that piece of metal)

3. How to fix the scratches??? Maybe touch them up?

4.What does that clip in the last pic belong to?

5. My car now idles funny. It idles as if the timing is off or an airflow sensor is bad. But only after hitting the deer. 500-750rpm idle

6. I HIT the deer after someone else did so my front got the majority of the impact. I was doing 75mph (10 over) and the noise sounded worse than a lot of car accidents I have heard. Any suggestions on what I should inspect for other than obvious undercarriage damage?

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!
bigblockz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:30 AM   #2
SS Blinder

Drives: 2011 SS (Sparrow Spearer???)
go and file a claim. seems that you have suspension damage, which is far worse and dangerous than any body damage you have. don't take your life or anyone elses just because you don't want to file a claim.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:31 AM   #3
bigblockz8

Here are the pics. The rest is fine. More to come when the sun rises
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2014, 01:37 AM   #4
bigblockz8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Blinder View Post
go and file a claim. seems that you have suspension damage, which is far worse and dangerous than any body damage you have. don't take your life or anyone elses just because you don't want to file a claim.
I have another car I own that I can drive. The problem is that my insurance is almost the same as my car payment. From chatting with my agent and some random agent on the phone both quoted an increase of 1200/6 mo. if the claim exceeds $2500 which it easily will. There is a burnt out 2011 up the road for sale with suspension intact. I don't know much about cars though so I am unsure if it is alignment or something is bent badly
Old 11-04-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
1hevy_chevy

Drives: Nightfall Gray 2016 6M 2SS
Was the wheel turned when you hit the deer? If it was REALLY heavy you could have just forced the rack and pinion to jump a tooth and cause misalignment but I mean thats pushing it....lol
1hevy_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Comprehensive insurance coverage almost always covers a deer hit without penalty to the driver. Call them before you end up losing your steering and hit a person.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
You will also need to go over the underside and inspect very carefully, or it will start to stink, horribly. You would be surprised how much viscera can get caught up under there.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
SIM Curly

Drives: Silver 1LT 2011 camaro
If you can't afford for the insurance to increase maybe its best financially not to have the camaro right now?
Old 11-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
deer hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
Comprehensive insurance coverage almost always covers a deer hit without penalty to the driver. Call them before you end up losing your steering and hit a person.
usually no deductible, you are very lucky damage isn't worse. We hit a deer in June on Hot Rod Power Tour and had both air bags deploy and the seat belts lock. State Farm ended up paying over $12K. They let me upgrade to a ZL1 front end and just pay the difference. You might want to think about a ZL1 or 2014 front end.
Attached Images

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #10
bigblockz8

I will definitely think about a front end upgrade!

UPDATE: The steering issue has been fixed!!! The issue was a bent ball joint stud. It drives like new again!

I have found deer in odd places such as next to my fuse box and as far back as the rear fascia where the exhuast has a gap. Very messy.