Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-01-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
Question on alignment and tire wear

I have mostly BMR bushings, toe rods, and trailing arms on my SS. After I changed to these I went with the Pedders street performance alignment. The rear alignment specs are not that much different from the OEM, rear camber went from -0.4 to -0.5, but I went through a set of rear P Zeros in 3300 miles. I do not drive the car too aggressive (I don't think I do). They look like the wear is somewhat even. The outer edge is a little lower than the rest, but not by much.

Do I have some other problem or are the tires just that soft? I see others getting 15k or more.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #2
EM1/SS

I sent this in a PM to justice Pete a few weeks ago and never got a response. Any one?
Old 06-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
3300 miles on Pzeros is a little low. They should be able to get at least 15-20k miles before being replaced. Is is both front and rear wearing so fast?
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:31 AM   #4
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Most likely a toe issue, toe is what will kill tires, not so much camber. I run -2.1 camber in front of my car and haven't noticed any major wear on the front. If you have a lot of toe though it will eat tires very quickly.

I've put well over 1k miles, had almost 4 hours at VIR and 2 autocrosses on a new set of M/T Street comps and they're looking just fine even with the -2.1 camber up front, and I have close to -1 in the back, but very little toe.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:46 AM   #5
kyle@ridetech.com

Drives: 1969 SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
Most likely a toe issue, toe is what will kill tires, not so much camber. I run -2.1 camber in front of my car and haven't noticed any major wear on the front. If you have a lot of toe though it will eat tires very quickly.

I've put well over 1k miles, had almost 4 hours at VIR and 2 autocrosses on a new set of M/T Street comps and they're looking just fine even with the -2.1 camber up front, and I have close to -1 in the back, but very little toe.
+1

Once upon a time, my LCA bushing in the front of my car went out and affected my toe settings. It ate through my tires in no time.
kyle@ridetech.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:11 PM   #6
EM1/SS

The fronts are fine it's the backs I have trouble with. I had it aligned to the pedders spec's 2 years ago. I watched the guy do it and he got it right in. The spec's call for 0.10 total rear toe. That does not sound like a lot.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle@ridetech.com View Post
+1

Once upon a time, my LCA bushing in the front of my car went out and affected my toe settings. It ate through my tires in no time.
+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
The fronts are fine it's the backs I have trouble with. I had it aligned to the pedders spec's 2 years ago. I watched the guy do it and he got it right in. The spec's call for 0.10 total rear toe. That does not sound like a lot.
The alignment can get knocked out of spec. Those tires lasted me 4K and I tracked them when I first got my Camaro. I'd have the alignment rechecked.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #8
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Yeah, 2 years is a long time to go without an alignment, it's most likely out of spec now. I think it's typically recommended to get it re-aligned about every 6 months. Honestly I go about a year though without any issues normally.

Pot holes and rough roads will eventually just knock it out of spec.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #9
EM1/SS

I'll get it aligned again and see if it was off.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:43 AM   #10
EM1/SS

It was the rear toe that was out.