Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
IanRSLT

Drives: 2013 LT/RS
Painting Engine Cover

Hello,

What paint would be used to paint the engine cover of a 2013 LFX Camaro? I also have seen things such as the fuse box painted, etc. Are these things that can be taken out to paint? Does it also need to be primered?

Thanks!
IanRSLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Both items remove easy. Remove the oil fill cap.Pull up on the left front corner (while facing engine from front) of the engine cover and simply slide back to clear the rear tabs. For the fuse box cover , push in on the front latch and lift. Leave it just cracked open and with your finger tips and thumb, squeeze together the two separate hinge pieces. It snaps apart. Unless of course your hands are weak.

I didn't prime mine because I used Krylon fusion paint as I wanted a more matte finish to blend with the other under hood fixtures.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
IanRSLT

Drives: 2013 LT/RS
Ah ok, so go with Krylon!

Thanks Robert!
IanRSLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRSLT View Post
Ah ok, so go with Krylon!

Thanks Robert!
There are a host of paints you can use for the job. The particular paint I chose to use was the Krylon Fusion because of the satin/matte finish it produces as well as the fact that it is specifically for painting plastic. Others have used automotive grade paints and primers and have achieved good results if prepared properly.

Here's a shot of the cover on my wife's Camaro I did. I also used the white fusion paint on the stripes as an adherent primer and painted automotive gold over it after it tacked up.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote