Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-31-2016, 12:39 PM   #1
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

Drives: Synergy Green SS
Advice or Feedback regarding wear

Hello,

This is the 2nd set of Pzero's on my 2011 SS/RS. First set lasted 21,279 miles and had some tread left. These have 5,400 miles on them and left me stranded last night! Both sides are the same. When I had this second set put on last April I also had a 4 wheel alignment.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

bdsdnfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
There is only 5k miles on them? If that is so you got to stop doing those smoke shows! Did they give you a print out from the alignment machine to where everything was set?

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

LOL. I don't baby the car but don't drive it any differently than the first set that lasted 21K. No document or printout regarding the alignment. Used a company up here in the Mpls area though that has a stellar reputation and highly recommended.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
yellow69z28rs

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible Black
Send a message via AIM to yellow69z28rs
You definitely need to add some camber.

Rag Top Rob
yellow69z28rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Don't waste your money on Pzeros, there are far better tires out there.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:47 PM   #6
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
Looks like a good alignment.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

Seriously or you kidding with me? I don't know myself. I had it aligned last April after the new tires. Had a company that specializes in muscle cars. But that said......
Old 08-01-2016, 09:57 PM   #8
mustang50lx

Drives: 2015 SS
Many cars today call for a bunch of negative camber. When we run into tire wear like this at work we put them as close to zero as the specs allow. As the cars get older they tend to get more negative camber just from the springs settling down too.
mustang50lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:38 PM   #9
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Pictures clearly indicate driver error. If you believe otherwise, talk to the shop that sold/installed them whom will happily work with you to diagnose the problem and provide a working solution.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #10
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

Driver Error? Like I made a mistake in how I drove the car? Is there something I'm not doing right after 39 years of driving? I've had the car for 5 years and have been driving it the same way for 5 years. Can you elaborate on the driver error comment?
Old 08-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #11
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsdnfam View Post
Driver Error? Like I made a mistake in how I drove the car? Is there something I'm not doing right after 39 years of driving? I've had the car for 5 years and have been driving it the same way for 5 years. Can you elaborate on the driver error comment?
What exactly shall I comment on? The definition of "driver error" or the fact you seem to be offended by it?

There are two possibilities to how a tire is damaged like the pictures you posted. It's either A or it's B, like two sides to a coin and it's simple statistics, these are two possibilities for causing such a result in a tire and only two possibilities;

A) Driver error: One or more drivers of the vehicle performed one or multiple occurrences of the following; burn out, skid, drifting, driving off road or other similar action

B) Not driver error: I believe you stated this is your case? Interesting to say the least, however as I previously stated; This discussion should be with the manufacture or shop that sold you the tire and/or the shop that put them on your vehicle.

Are you looking for some sort of internet mechanical proof theory to how this happened after talking to Discount Tire (or other shop)? I know of none.

I personally joked with Classic in Dallas about replacing my tire due to normal tread wear and they joked about throwing me out of the shop.

What exactly did your shop tell you and are they not working with you to replace the set?

Edit: Are you the only person/human/body with access to the vehicle ? No one "borrowed" the car without your knowledge for a joy ride? Ever see the movie Ferris Bueller's Day off? Might not have been you personally, but you asked for 'thoughts'.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #12
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:38 PM   #13
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
OP, your tire wear is indicative of a negative camber alignment that is driven way too hard in a straight line (aka doing lots of burn outs). There can be no other reason to why you have only worn the inside edge of your rear tires down to the cord.

If I was your shop and you brought these tire back to me, I would gladly sell you another set and wait for your return 5000 miles later.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #14
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

First, thank you Mr. Webster for your definitions of "Not Driver Error" and "Driver Error" I Googled them earlier and what was officially noted was nothing close to your theories. But sorry to debunk your theory (or facts based on little to no intelligence) but the issue was a faulty alignment. For those that provided feedback (constructive), thank you. Here is what they found:

Before Camber (both sides): -1.1 degree After: -.7 degree
Before Toe (both sides): -.77 & - .54 degree After: .12 degree
Before Total Toe: -1.31 degree After: .25 degree
Before Thrust Angle: -.12 degree After: .01 degree

Car runs and tracks beautiful. The shop that performed the screwed up alignment was a referral from my Camaro Club. Obviously will be rethinking that!! Like I said, I drive it like I own it but (and doesn't matter who believes me) I don't do a lot of burn outs nor do I mistreat the car. As I mentioned in the first post the first set of tires gave me 21,000miles. Thank you AvaInch for your feedback. Spot on with the camber!!

Last edited by bdsdnfam; 08-07-2016 at 06:10 PM. Reason: added more info.