Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-07-2015, 02:12 AM   #1
Android42019
The Black Emerald

Drives: '17 ZL1, '08 Trailblazer, '11 1LTRS
Ugh...dealer changed oil...

So I had the dealer change my oil last time I had it in and now at the time to change the oil I heard knocking, check the dipstick and its DRY WTF!? Does roadside assistance cover the knocking or will they just tell me to drive it up there(different dealer) since itd technically be covered still? I'm assuming this thing didn't even get a full 5 quarts in it let alone 6, no leaks in my garage floor and my aunt drove her old cavalier from brand new to 22k miles before she blew her engine with 0 oil changes, never even checked her oil lmao. Don't understand how there was no oil...
Old 04-07-2015, 02:22 AM   #2
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Was it full after they changed it? How many miles ago was that?
Old 04-07-2015, 03:04 AM   #3
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
they will tow it. if you tell them they just changed your oil and its knocking and there is no oil on the dip stick there not going to chance a blown motor.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:46 AM   #4
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
This happened to me before. Except I changed my oil and I know for sure i added 6 quarts of synthetic oil. I randomly threw a rod bearing on the freeway. Pulled over, checked the oil and there was barely anything on the stick. I was under warranty and got a brand new engine out of it. Car was a rental prior to me owning it...
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:54 AM   #5
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Is your engine burning oil?
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:03 AM   #6
Backspin9

Drives: The red one
Sorry that happened. My car just turned 1K miles and I'm considering getting the oil changed. I have 2 years of free maintenance but I'm hesitant to let the dealer do it. Just don't trust those guys. The last time I let them do something (paint shield) they royally screwed it up. I'd feel more comfortable letting my own guy do it.
Backspin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:25 AM   #7
MostWanted

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
they will tow it. if you tell them they just changed your oil and its knocking and there is no oil on the dip stick there not going to chance a blown motor.
2015 Camaro ZL1 (#1090)

MostWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #8
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
This happens more often than the law should allow. Any time oil is changed (even if DIY)... ALWAYS check the oil level before driving and check parking spots (driveway, garage, etc.) for signs of leaks. Between oil changes, I check my dipstick at least once a week.

Hope you engine isn't damaged, OP. Let us know.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:05 AM   #9
Tennis_pro

Drives: 2012 ZL1
How many miles ago did the dealer change the oil? Like others have said, ALWAYS check your oil after you get it changed. Have you been leaking any oil lately? Do you see white or blue smoke ever come out of your exhaust upon start up or just driving it? Have you been keeping your eye on your temp gauge and has it been driving hotter than normal? Also, have you switched gas stations lately or have you used a different grade of fuel? Engine knocking is usually bad or improper fuel, but if you are low on oil that can cause your ending temp to increase thus create the knocking. I would imagine if you were low on fuel you would either be burning fuel because of excess heat, get a low oil light or your engine would overheat.
Tennis_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:46 AM   #10
BaronConcepts

Drives: Camaro
For argument's sake, how does one prove this to the dealer? Doesn't it turn into "He Said / She Said" fiasco?
BaronConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:04 AM   #11
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Check your oil everytime you fill up at the gas station. Did you even check your oil between your last oil change and when you did now?
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:39 AM   #12
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
My friend retired from being a dealer mechanic. They only have 1 certified mechanic left. Too many hands in the pot to pay for a good mechanic to stay. The mechanic "kid" next to him asked, "I need to torque this bolt to 150 and my torque wrench only goes to 120, can I torque it to 120 then reset the wrench to 30 to get the full 150?". Yep that's what you get for $140 an hour labor charge. No thanks. I'll change my own oil! (This was a Dodge dealership).
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #13
custommx3

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2023 3LT RS, 2011 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspin9 View Post
Sorry that happened. My car just turned 1K miles and I'm considering getting the oil changed. I have 2 years of free maintenance but I'm hesitant to let the dealer do it. Just don't trust those guys. The last time I let them do something (paint shield) they royally screwed it up. I'd feel more comfortable letting my own guy do it.
2 years of free maintenance is 4 oil changes.. that's it. :(
custommx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #14
GAFreddy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS & 2013 ZL1 Vert
I bet you some oil guy forgot to fill (in a hurry) and capped it. Sent it out and called it a day. Happens a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Is your engine burning oil?
That'd be A LOT of burning!
GAFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote