Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-31-2018, 09:24 PM   #1
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Trusted Suspension Shop Near Boston, MA (plus opinions on my build options)

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and very new to my 6th gen 1SS, non-MRC. I went a little bananas and bought a bunch of suspension upgrades - see below, and feel free to comment (I'd love your experienced input).

Biggest Ask:
I am curious if any of you know a shop I could trust in the Boston area with my SS suspension install? I have a very good general mechanic locally, and I plan to talk with him, but I'd prefer to go to someone who knows these cars well.

What I got:
I built my own version of the ZL1 1LE handling kit (84352119), but replaced the stamped steel bits with non-adjustable BMR rear upper and lower trailing arms and upper control arms. (Huge thanks to someone on this forum who posted the parts list numbers for that kit - I was having trouble with the nuts and bolts replacement). I got to add the upper control arms and still came in about $100 cheaper building it this way.

I also got a Hotchkis swaybar kit with BMR sway bar end links to tie them on.

Would love some expert opinion here:
I was considering lowering it a bit too, but don't want to drop the full inch most kits start at. I will not track the car, but may do some autocross. Otherwise, it is my daily driver so I don't need it to be track perfect, and going to low could cause clearance issues. I just want it to be super responsive and maintain a good ride quality, so not sure if lowering it makes sense. Thoughts?
That said, it would seem logical that if I am going to do it, to get the GM lowering kit and have it installed at the same time as the rest of the build - any thoughts if this would make enough of a difference to do it, or would the main changes I already have planned be sufficient?

Happy New Year, and thanks for any and all input!!
Shawn

Last edited by Shawnqa800720; 12-31-2018 at 09:25 PM. Reason: title didn't fully capture thread content
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Do you care about fender gap or center of gravity more? Have you considered going to a 19" wheel and tire to drop the car 1/2" without impacting suspension travel and stiffness? If you're asking about the GM spring kit, I'm guessing you don't have MRC.

Your swaybars are already going to make you perceive the ride as stiffer/rougher since there will be less independent travel side to side.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:52 PM   #3
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnqa800720 View Post
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and very new to my 6th gen 1SS, non-MRC. I went a little bananas and bought a bunch of suspension upgrades - see below, and feel free to comment (I'd love your experienced input).

Biggest Ask:
I am curious if any of you know a shop I could trust in the Boston area with my SS suspension install? I have a very good general mechanic locally, and I plan to talk with him, but I'd prefer to go to someone who knows these cars well.

What I got:
I built my own version of the ZL1 1LE handling kit (84352119), but replaced the stamped steel bits with non-adjustable BMR rear upper and lower trailing arms and upper control arms. (Huge thanks to someone on this forum who posted the parts list numbers for that kit - I was having trouble with the nuts and bolts replacement). I got to add the upper control arms and still came in about $100 cheaper building it this way.

I also got a Hotchkis swaybar kit with BMR sway bar end links to tie them on.

Would love some expert opinion here:
I was considering lowering it a bit too, but don't want to drop the full inch most kits start at. I will not track the car, but may do some autocross. Otherwise, it is my daily driver so I don't need it to be track perfect, and going to low could cause clearance issues. I just want it to be super responsive and maintain a good ride quality, so not sure if lowering it makes sense. Thoughts?
That said, it would seem logical that if I am going to do it, to get the GM lowering kit and have it installed at the same time as the rest of the build - any thoughts if this would make enough of a difference to do it, or would the main changes I already have planned be sufficient?

Happy New Year, and thanks for any and all input!!
Shawn
Do you have the ZL1 1LE kit or the SS Lowering/Handling kits?

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=35

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:40 PM   #4
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Switcheroo

Thanks for the replies. I had a switcheroo happen. The 17 1SS I got from a dealer was sent back for too many issues. I have since purchased a new 2018 1SS, and am having all GM parts installed before I take delivery to maintain warranty.

I got a ridiculous deal (A8, dual mode exh, 32K including tax, and all fees) from Elkland Chevy in PA and am repurposing some of that $$ to upgrading. I got the lowering kit, the 1LE sway bar kit, and the GM CAI with the factory tune. I wanted to do the full ZL1 1LE kit, but because it is stated as "track only" in the Chevy performance catalogue the dealership would not cover it under the factory warranty, so I'll need to wait a few years before I mess with that side of things.

I did get a Pray ported TB, and plan a ported IM in the future, so figured the GM tune would help there - not as much as an aftermarket, but it'll maintain warranty and I can remove the ported bits for any major services or warranty claims.

To answer your question, much more interested in performance than appearance (fender gap). It will be my daily driver, but I drive aggressive. I do plan on getting it to some friendly autocross events this summer as well.

I also plan to upgrade to the 1LE wheel set with Pilot sport 4S's all around after I remove the winter tires that are going on next week.

I'll report on how it feels with all the new bits on a fresh stock unit once I get it. Have to wait until next Wednesday for delivery.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:43 PM   #5
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnqa800720 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I had a switcheroo happen. The 17 1SS I got from a dealer was sent back for too many issues. I have since purchased a new 2018 1SS, and am having all GM parts installed before I take delivery to maintain warranty.

I got a ridiculous deal (A8, dual mode exh, 32K including tax, and all fees) from Elkland Chevy in PA and am repurposing some of that $$ to upgrading. I got the lowering kit, the 1LE sway bar kit, and the GM CAI with the factory tune. I wanted to do the full ZL1 1LE kit, but because it is stated as "track only" in the Chevy performance catalogue the dealership would not cover it under the factory warranty, so I'll need to wait a few years before I mess with that side of things.

I did get a Pray ported TB, and plan a ported IM in the future, so figured the GM tune would help there - not as much as an aftermarket, but it'll maintain warranty and I can remove the ported bits for any major services or warranty claims.

To answer your question, much more interested in performance than appearance (fender gap). It will be my daily driver, but I drive aggressive. I do plan on getting it to some friendly autocross events this summer as well.

I also plan to upgrade to the 1LE wheel set with Pilot sport 4S's all around after I remove the winter tires that are going on next week.

I'll report on how it feels with all the new bits on a fresh stock unit once I get it. Have to wait until next Wednesday for delivery.
Nice! Congrats! Please take lots of pictures with the stock wheels.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, mechanic, opinion, shop, suspension