Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
DillonN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Backup sensors no longer work after sub install

I recently put in a subwoofer into my Camaro's trunk, using the ******** driver's side stealth 12" enclosure. It sounds great, but now I've noticed my rear backup sensors no longer work. It's hard to tell if it started before the sub install, right after, or some time after, because I just noticed it yesterday and realized it's been a while since I've heard the beeping. When I first put it into reverse, I hear the beep from the DIC to tell me I'm in reverse, but not the beep from the backup sensor to notify me it's engaged. And of course no beeping when I almost hit something. I have no error message in the DIC of any kind.
My car is still under warranty, but I'm afraid they'll say that it is because of my subwoofer and it won't be covered. It may very well be, maybe the sub has shaken one of the wires loose? But you'd think there'd be an error message at least.
Anyways, has anyone else had any problems like this? My car is a 2010 2LT Camaro with a manual transmission.
DillonN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonN View Post
I recently put in a subwoofer into my Camaro's trunk, using the ******** driver's side stealth 12" enclosure. It sounds great, but now I've noticed my rear backup sensors no longer work. It's hard to tell if it started before the sub install, right after, or some time after, because I just noticed it yesterday and realized it's been a while since I've heard the beeping. When I first put it into reverse, I hear the beep from the DIC to tell me I'm in reverse, but not the beep from the backup sensor to notify me it's engaged. And of course no beeping when I almost hit something. I have no error message in the DIC of any kind.
My car is still under warranty, but I'm afraid they'll say that it is because of my subwoofer and it won't be covered. It may very well be, maybe the sub has shaken one of the wires loose? But you'd think there'd be an error message at least.
Anyways, has anyone else had any problems like this? My car is a 2010 2LT Camaro with a manual transmission.
DillonN,

Sincerest apologies to hear about the concerns with the new sub woofer. A GM dealership may require you to remove the installed part to officially diagnose the vehicle. I would like to monitor the repair process if you plan on taking it to a GM dealer. If that's okay, please private message me your full name, VIN, and vehicle mileage. I'd like to offer my assistance in these matters.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
DillonN

Also the radios (satellite or FM/AM) don't work well anymore, terrible reception where I used to get crystal clear. My guess is it stopped working around the same time, I'm not sure because I always use my iPod. Warranty takes a couple weeks to transfer over, does anyone know of possible causes/fixes to this problem since it may not be warranty covered?
Old 05-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
ScottR

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Metallic 2LT RS
It could be your amp. Certain amps cause interference with reception, I'm not sure if the interfere with the sensors, but this could be your radio problem. List you amp brand/model and someone on here can let you know.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
meshamey
Meshamey

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / 2014 Camaro ZL1
Remove the sub and the ******** wiring harness and see if everything starts working again.
meshamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
Adrian97c

Drives: Wife's 14' IS 250
What ended up happening? I don't wanna post a new thread, but just noticed last week that when I back up the beeps are barely audible..?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Built on • 3/22/16
Adopted • 4/07/16

Sold on 2/05/16:
2014 Camaro SW L99, 2SS, RS, NAV, Inferno Orange Interior:
-Borla ATAK catback
-Range AFM delete
-15% tint all around
-Red LED interior bulbs
-55k white Cree LED fogs
-License plate LED bulb swap
-12" Sub Kit, BA amp swap
-Oracle ghosted LED sidemarkers
Adrian97c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
DillonN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian97c View Post
What ended up happening? I don't wanna post a new thread, but just noticed last week that when I back up the beeps are barely audible..?!

Turns out the back speakers are the only speakers that play the beeps, I had unplugged them because they rattled too much and my sub already played low frequencies. I ended up snipping the woofer wire to the speakers, keeping the tweeters on which sounds kind of nice and I still hear the beeps.
If you have the back speakers turned down for any reason that'd cause it.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
Adrian97c

Quote:
Turns out the back speakers are the only speakers that play the beeps, I had unplugged them because they rattled too much and my sub already played low frequencies. I ended up snipping the woofer wire to the speakers, keeping the tweeters on which sounds kind of nice and I still hear the beeps.

If you have the back speakers turned down for any reason that'd cause it.

Thank you!!!

I'm currently at work, but I recently lowered (faded out to front speakers), because the rear dash speakers made rattle/gurgling sounds. My sub makes enough bass.

I'll test this later to make sure that it's my issue... But it sounds like it will be! (I hope).

Built on • 3/22/16
Adopted • 4/07/16

Sold on 2/05/16:
-Borla ATAK catback
-Range AFM delete
-15% tint all around
-Red LED interior bulbs
-55k white Cree LED fogs
Old 12-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #9
Adrian97c

Update:

I faded the volume to 100% rear & sure enough that does seem to be the prob... The rear speakers are barley audible :(

Hhmmm

Built on • 3/22/16
Adopted • 4/07/16

Sold on 2/05/16:
-Borla ATAK catback
-Range AFM delete
-15% tint all around
-Red LED interior bulbs
-55k white Cree LED fogs

Last edited by Adrian97c; 12-08-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:14 AM   #10
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
I have my fader to 10 front, and the beeps still come through clear and loud.
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:17 AM   #11
Adrian97c

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
I have my fader to 10 front, and the beeps still come through clear and loud.

That's wierd because the back speakers are the only ones that play the sounds... Well in your case your speakers still work.

My rear speakers are having an issue, they are either blown or something got loose on the amp, etc. not even music plays loud when I fade back all the way.

Built on • 3/22/16
Adopted • 4/07/16

Sold on 2/05/16:
-Borla ATAK catback
-Range AFM delete
-15% tint all around
-Red LED interior bulbs
-55k white Cree LED fogs
Old 12-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #12
Adrian97c

Fixed:

Loose rear RCA cables

Built on • 3/22/16
Adopted • 4/07/16

Sold on 2/05/16:
-Borla ATAK catback
-Range AFM delete
-15% tint all around
-Red LED interior bulbs
-55k white Cree LED fogs
Old 08-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #13
pope2010ss

Drives: 2010ss camaro 6 speed
any answer on back up sensor not working after installing sub, mine quit after doing the same, i have a 2010ss
pope2010ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #14
pope2010ss

Drives: 2010ss camaro 6 speed
Quote:
mine did same 2010ss, worked when just replaced back speaker and new amp quit after installing sub, ever get yours to work again....
pope2010ss is offline   Reply With Quote