Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-26-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
oslouie

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Redline
Top engine cleaning question

I ordered a catch can and want to install it but I want to clean out the top end of the motor before installing it. She has 27k on her so i might as well clean her out. I have always used seafoam through the brake booster line but there have been a lot of disagreement about pouring it through the brake booster line(hydrolocking and such) so I'm going to try Mopar's CCC in the aerosol can this time. My question is....which port would I spray this stuff through and where is it's location on an L99?
oslouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
Why not install your catch can and use top tier gas for a while to clean up your valve train.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
oslouie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohten View Post
Why not install your catch can and use top tier gas for a while to clean up your valve train.
I always use top tier gas. Are you saying that i dont need to do a top end cleaning if i use top tier gas?Just want to make sure all carbon deposits are gone.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
MADBADGER

Drives: '13 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm wondering the same thing. About to put a catch can on my ss. About 17,000 miles
MADBADGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:52 PM   #5
SCREAMING EAGLE

Drives: 2012 CAMARO 2SS 45TH,L99
I have heard a lot about catch cans. Seems about the same as to for or against. I use top tier but the car had about 12k on it when purchased and still only has 12.9k so I am wondering if it is worth it. Hopefully we can get some good discussion on the subject rather than those who have one swear by it and those who dont are against it.
SCREAMING EAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #6
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
A catch can even on a higher mileage car is still worth it. The oil vapor in the PVC system still happens so this would catch it.

When you are about 500 miles before oil change run a can of Seafoam thru the gas tank. They also now make a spray version of Seafoam that you would run the spray hose tube right in air intake tube in front of the throttle body. Have some one run the car at 1500 rpm while you are spraying it and watch the smoke show. This will clean out the actually upper air path of the intake that is coated in oil right now.

Run car at 1500 rpm till smoke show is over then drive the car no more than another 500 miles and get your oil changed and you should be good to go.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #7
oslouie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
A catch can even on a higher mileage car is still worth it. The oil vapor in the PVC system still happens so this would catch it.

When you are about 500 miles before oil change run a can of Seafoam thru the gas tank. They also now make a spray version of Seafoam that you would run the spray hose tube right in air intake tube in front of the throttle body. Have some one run the car at 1500 rpm while you are spraying it and watch the smoke show. This will clean out the actually upper air path of the intake that is coated in oil right now.

Run car at 1500 rpm till smoke show is over then drive the car no more than another 500 miles and get your oil changed and you should be good to go.
Ive always changed my oil after a seafoam treatment but now I'm hearing that an oil change is only necessary if you're pouring it into the oil, which I won't be doing.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #8
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Quote:
Originally Posted by oslouie View Post
Ive always changed my oil after a seafoam treatment but now I'm hearing that an oil change is only necessary if you're pouring it into the oil, which I won't be doing.
Where do you think all the dirt and grim that was "cleaned" by the sea foam goes? A lot goes out the exhaust but some gets in the oil. Just change the oil as well...
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
oslouie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 ZL1 #7860 View Post
Where do you think all the dirt and grim that was "cleaned" by the sea foam goes? A lot goes out the exhaust but some gets in the oil. Just change the oil as well...
A lot of it goes through the exhaust. How much of it really goes to your oil? Seafoam's website clearly states that an oil change is not required after a seafoam treatment unless your oil is already near the changing point although it would be a good idea just for piece of mind but im pretty confident that monitoring the color of my oil will be fine. I'll change it if the oil looks anything other than new.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #10
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oslouie View Post
A lot of it goes through the exhaust. How much of it really goes to your oil? Seafoam's website clearly states that an oil change is not required after a seafoam treatment unless your oil is already near the changing point although it would be a good idea just for piece of mind but im pretty confident that monitoring the color of my oil will be fine. I'll change it if the oil looks anything other than new.
I understand where you are coming from. But even if a tiny amount of seafoam gets into the oil, your oil filter will be disintegrated at worst, ruined at best because of the petroleum based seafoam.

Everyone I know who does seafoam treatment changes their oil for this reason, even when not putting any in the crankcase.

You have to remember that blowby happens and that seafoam/oil gets recycled via pcv and can definitely get in the crankcase. I highly recommend changing the oil after 100 miles of driving post seafoaming.

EDIT: Just saw that you were going to be using MOPARS top end cleaner. I dont know if it is petroleum based or not. But Im going to guess it is. Def check first.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #11
Gee
Silver Ice

BUT. To answer your question. Spray via the booster line connected to your Throttle body. Pop it off and stick the spray straw into the opening, then spray in 5 sec intervals(what I do at least), until you hear the rpm change. Repeat for about 5 mins. Make sure the straw is secure and it doesn't get sucked into the intake manifold. That would suck, no pun intended.

I also spray via the brake booster vacuum line. This soaks the top end very well but will usually only wet half of the cylinders/valves, the throttle body spray should take care of the rest.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #12
oslouie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
BUT. To answer your question. Spray via the booster line connected to your Throttle body. Pop it off and stick the spray straw into the opening, then spray in 5 sec intervals(what I do at least), until you hear the rpm change. Repeat for about 5 mins. Make sure the straw is secure and it doesn't get sucked into the intake manifold. That would suck, no pun intended.

I also spray via the brake booster vacuum line. This soaks the top end very well but will usually only wet half of the cylinders/valves, the throttle body spray should take care of the rest.
Thank you. The directions says to disconnect the intake tube and spray into throttle body while keeping revs around 750rpm. I'll have to loik for that booster line connected to the throttle body.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #13
Gee
Silver Ice

[QUOTE=oslouie;8135316]Thank you. The directions says to disconnect the intake tube and spray into throttle body while keeping revs around 750rpm. I'll have to loik for that booster line connected to the throttle body.[/QUOTE

Anytime man, Here ya go. Its an ls1 intake but same location.