Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 03-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
2014 Z/28 vs ???

With the performance stats we do know about the Z/28, what cars would it be comparable to? How would it do against something like a GTR or even a base Z06?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Performance wise? It would lose to both on the strip, track, street, it's still heavy.
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
Bhobbs

The comparison between a ZL1 and GTR I saw had the ZL1 2.8 seconds behind the GTR. Based on what GM said, the Z/28 should be close to GTR numbers.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Vette TPI

Drives: 1987 Corvette TPI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The comparison between a ZL1 and GTR I saw had the ZL1 2.8 seconds behind the GTR. Based on what GM said, the Z/28 should be close to GTR numbers.
Scott Settlemire said "The 2014 is dedicated to the “Z/28” purist. This is a track car that makes no excuses. That this car is a full three seconds faster on a track than the mighty ZL1 speaks volumes to its intent."
Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Forty5th

Drives: Camaro
Head of SRT is talkin'....
"Here’s some news for you: during a special edition taping of Wide Open Throttle live at the New York Auto Show, our special guest, SRT boss Ralph Gilles, said that SRT will soon have “an answer for the Z/28.” Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/srt-workin...#ixzz2PG6kcJVI
Forty5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '88 IROC vert
I find it hard to believe that a car 500 or more lbs heavier than a Z06 will run with it. Of course, stranger things have happened... It does have wider rubber and the improvement of several years of technology. I don't see why a Z/28 couldn't hang with a base Z06, but one with Z07/cup tires will probably be quicker.

I also find it hard to believe that it will keep up with a GTR given the fact that the ZR1 has a hard time with a GTR. Yes, it's faster, but it's also got 638 horse and weighs much less than the Z/28.

I don't have any difficulty believing that the Z/28 will give the GTR and Z06 a run for their money price to performance wise, and heck, it might even hang with those cars... but I think they will more than edge it out. Of course, this is all relative. Keep in mind that the 1LE ran 3 seconds appx faster around Laguna than a GT with the track-pack... and it was closer than 3 seconds to the GTR. If the Z/28 shaves 2 seconds off the time at Laguna, it'd be about a second behind the GTR. That's a measureable difference, but it's respectable.

Please don't flame. I actually hate the GTR--think it's ugly as sin and don't think it takes much skill to drive, but I respect it. I would take a ZL1, Z/28, Z06 or ZR1 over it any day, though!

DroptopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty5th View Post
Head of SRT is talkin'....
"Here’s some news for you: during a special edition taping of Wide Open Throttle live at the New York Auto Show, our special guest, SRT boss Ralph Gilles, said that SRT will soon have “an answer for the Z/28.” Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/srt-workin...#ixzz2PG6kcJVI
A Dodge that can handle? I'll believe it when I see it. Pobst said even the new Viper is hard to control compared to the ZR1. I respect what they've done with the Chally, but I just don't see it as being a viable platform for track duty when you compare it to the Camaro (good suspension) or the much lighter Mustang. Of course, I could be wrong and I will be more than willing to eat my hat if I am

Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Forty5th

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptopZ View Post
A Dodge that can handle? I'll believe it when I see it. Pobst said even the new Viper is hard to control compared to the ZR1. I respect what they've done with the Chally, but I just don't see it as being a viable platform for track duty when you compare it to the Camaro (good suspension) or the much lighter Mustang. Of course, I could be wrong and I will be more than willing to eat my hat if I am
Exactly, let's see what Mopar has up their sleeves... won't lose sleep over it.
BTW I see you have an IROC-Z 'vert... sweet! I used to have an '88 GTA w/ the 5.7... took it to the track once back then which was my first time ever and it ran 14.7secs stock.
Forty5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
Scooter11

Drives: 2013 SW 2LS
Quote:
Not dodge, an SRT...
Scooter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt View Post
The Viper ACR still holds the Nürburgring production car record. 7mins. 12.1 seconds. The ZR1 has a best time of 7mins 19 seconds.

To be fair, you're absolutely right. However, the ZR1 beats it around Laguna Seca. Different courses, different results. Dodge made a great machine in the Viper, but they have failed to reliably produce anything kind of sports/muscle car (other than the viper)in recent years that can also handle... Unless of cours you go back to the Stealth TT cars, but those were Mitsus all along. Bottom line: I'm not saying it won't happen, but I'll believe it when I see it. I can't see SRT making another halo car to compete with the Viper, which means any competition we see will likely be in Chally form. That platform has inherent flaws and weaknesses for track duty. Not that the Camaro is perfect by any means, but I think it is much better suited to it that an SRT8 392 with some hopped up suspension.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #11
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty5th View Post
Exactly, let's see what Mopar has up their sleeves... won't lose sleep over it.
BTW I see you have an IROC-Z 'vert... sweet! I used to have an '88 GTA w/ the 5.7... took it to the track once back then which was my first time ever and it ran 14.7secs stock.
Thanks! I love my turd gen, but it's in pieces at the moment. I have the 305 TPI unfortunately as the 350 wasn't offered in the vert. The 14.9 was with new rubber and an under drive pulley, 150k on the clock I love GTAs, though you never see them anymore!!

Old 04-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
Bhobbs

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that a car 500 or more lbs heavier than a Z06 will run with it. Of course, stranger things have happened... It does have wider rubber and the improvement of several years of technology. I don't see why a Z/28 couldn't hang with a base Z06, but one with Z07/cup tires will probably be quicker.

I also find it hard to believe that it will keep up with a GTR given the fact that the ZR1 has a hard time with a GTR. Yes, it's faster, but it's also got 638 horse and weighs much less than the Z/28.

I don't have any difficulty believing that the Z/28 will give the GTR and Z06 a run for their money price to performance wise, and heck, it might even hang with those cars... but I think they will more than edge it out. Of course, this is all relative. Keep in mind that the 1LE ran 3 seconds appx faster around Laguna than a GT with the track-pack... and it was closer than 3 seconds to the GTR. If the Z/28 shaves 2 seconds off the time at Laguna, it'd be about a second behind the GTR. That's a measureable difference, but it's respectable.

Please don't flame. I actually hate the GTR--think it's ugly as sin and don't think it takes much skill to drive, but I respect it. I would take a ZL1, Z/28, Z06 or ZR1 over it any day, though!

I don't think the Z/28 will out run those cars but I don't know what it competition will be other than cars like the GTR.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
To be fair, you're absolutely right. However, the ZR1 beats it around Laguna Seca. Different courses, different results. Dodge made a great machine in the Viper, but they have failed to reliably produce anything kind of sports/muscle car (other than the viper)in recent years that can also handle... Unless of cours you go back to the Stealth TT cars, but those were Mitsus all along. Bottom line: I'm not saying it won't happen, but I'll believe it when I see it. I can't see SRT making another halo car to compete with the Viper, which means any competition we see will likely be in Chally form. That platform has inherent flaws and weaknesses for track duty. Not that the Camaro is perfect by any means, but I think it is much better suited to it that an SRT8 392 with some hopped up suspension.
Actually the current crop of SRT8 cars are great handlers and often get compared to BMWs in their handling prowess and abilities. Same with the GC SRT8, easily one of the best handling bohemoths out there. I see a lot of measures taken to lighten the car, as weight is the major hinderance on the platform. I can se them matching the Z28's weight and making a car pretty comparable with considerable effort (as GM had to impart considerable effort into the Camaro to make the Z28 what it is).
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
They never said Challenger answer to the Z-28. I'm prediction a 3000lbs, 400hp turbo charged AWD Dart SRT with racing suspension and recaro seats.......lol, j/k.

oh, and don't forget the giant spoiler from the ACR Viper...
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote