Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #85
Tommy Pike Customs

Drives: 2010 TPC Camaro
Valentine 1 rocks. That thing has saved me many times over the years.
Tommy Pike Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #86
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERHAWK View Post
I guess I will have to say that at least getting a detector is not a total waste. I have hit people with laser with a long shot ( the beam spreads out 3ft square per 1000ft) who are close to my limit and at least they get a warning to slow down so if they don't see me at least they don't speed up anymore. I've let people slide if they are at my limit and slow down with a detector--at least now they are paying attention cause I scared the crap out of them. I wouldn't spend a fortune on a detector though.
The multiplier for laser beam width is .036 times the distance.
500' equals 18", right on the money for 3' at 1000'. The forum should know that any laser shot includes the exact distance of the target in the display. Like threading a needle, you can pick out a speeder in a sea of cars with no interference.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #87
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
500' equals 18", right on the money for 3' at 1000'. The forum should know that any laser shot includes the exact distance of the target in the display. Like threading a needle, you can pick out a speeder in a sea of cars with no interference.
With the longer shots, the sensors on the detector will be able to pick up the laser if shot directly at the car your in, but that still means your in trouble if the detector goes off and you are flying (you are just going to instantly know you are being clocked). The shorter the shot the better chance I have of hiding the fact that I hit you with it, if you don't see me. You are correct I can pick'em off in a crowd.

Last edited by SILVERHAWK; 12-02-2010 at 11:29 PM.
SILVERHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #88
SnowStorm
Jump in

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geck View Post
I've had numerous people stop and ask me how the Radar/LIDAR works when I'm working. I think its cool to show people how simple it really is to operate, and they get a kick out of it. None with a detector so far though.
I mentioned earlier in the thread that I wanted to make a few test runs with my new passport 9500ix but you must have missed it. Are you still interested?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #89
fast34me

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
I too have the 9500ix and love it. It goes off, I check my speed. But, it's not a substitute for common sense. It's saved me a couple times. The LEO's in the Carolinas usually give you at least 10mph over, but not all will. Big thing is respect and honesty. Telling them you weren't speeding when they have you locked in, is like calling them stupid. Then you get the Full Monty.
fast34me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #90
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Yes, the officer will most likely quote the distance they shot you at on the ticket somewhere near thee speed.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #91
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackRedCamaro View Post
I've had my car for one week now and have been pulled over twice!

First time I got a ticket, but the cop was gracious enough to reduce it.

Second time I got a warning and a stern lecture to "be safe".

Even though I have the V6, this thing will climb on you without feeling like you're going any faster! When I got pulled the first time, I was doing 71 in a 55 and didn't feel any difference.
set your "speed warning" in your (d.i.c)..it will flash ya to slow down when you exceed your adjusted speed!..ohhh!..and get a val 1..
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:38 AM   #92
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchbookSS View Post
Not trying to thread jack or make this into a bitchfest, but I would have figured I would have at least gotten a reduced speed ticket. Not for the actual speed. I don't know if having out of state plates and telling him that I was leaving overseas again in a couple of days hurt me at all.

Regardless though, CA traffic laws also state something along the lines that the traffic can move along public transit ways at speeds safe for the current conditions or something like that. Granted 20 over might be viewed as little excessive, though anybody from CA can tell you that everyone drives like that, but when there's no one on the road, I would think a little slack would be cut. I won't lie. I'm bitter. Lol. And I don't drive that fast during the day when there's traffic.
no reflection on you personally,but you was stopped because you were 'STUPID"..lets face reality!..you were traveling 20 miles over the speed limit
alone at night!..an easy target?..yes!..of course!..THAT is where you made your mistake!..any cop would stop you!..blatant,and obvious!~..(w.t.f!)..sure!..fight it!..why not?..what do ya have to lose at this point!..smart money says ya pay the fine,and get "cookin' forward,and don't look back!..pay the man,and DON'T do it again!..learn!..ohhh!.and get a val 1!..too!
Old 12-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #93
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchbookSS View Post
I think everyone hates attorneys.
i'll be in that crowd!..blood sucking pricks!..get a (d.u.i)..and find out!..you pulled a "stupid"..mistake in judgement...they represent you by "picking your pockets"..AND disrespecting you!..they "pitch" you when the evidence is against you,and just concern themselves with 'their" reputation...terrific!....and this is a defense attorney?..(w.t.f!)
Old 12-03-2010, 01:00 AM   #94
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
Very well said...ill be the first to admit....i work in a suburb of a major city here in mass and multiple housing projects that bring lots of cop hating people so my attitude is on a very short fuse...but that has come on with time...i love my job but wish i had listened to my father (31 years in Law enforcement and still going) he told me to never be a cop...haha didnt listen....no one likes us....they only like us for 10 minutes at a time when they need us then its back to why are you here,, why you stopping me...what did i do....isnt there higher criminals out there you should be looking for I should have been a landscaper!!
i understand your point,however,as i am sure you are aware,MOST people have that attitude because they know what's coming!..grief!..from you!..it is something they DON'T want or need!..it is also understood that they also KNOW WHY they are being stopped,and must humble themselves.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #95
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERHAWK View Post
YEP there's a special place in HELL for all of them. LOL
i hear ya!..this is no joke though!..i'm gonna report this one to the state bar!
i know this prick over charged me!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #96
Trey42590

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Valentine 1 is a beast! Saved me from many tickets.. but nothing is going to save you if they don't hit their radar until they're right on you.. That's the only way I've got a ticket since I've had my V1.
Trey42590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #97
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Well I suppose if you know a REALLY good friend who works on stealth aircraft and doesn't mind committing a federal crime, there's a just-slightly-unlikely chance of you getting a bucket of radar-absorbent paint to put on your car...

I wonder if there's ever been any particularly industrious geek who has tried to make his own RAM and do just that.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #98
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Why the hell is this thread still going.....the guy wanted to offer up some advice and admit not all cops are out to "get you"...a great read actually. It subsequently turned into a ...cops sucks, lawyers suck, my life sucks, rules sucks,...oh and valentine 1 rocks thread yet again.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote