Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-24-2011, 05:21 AM   #15
Kabul SS

Drives: IBM Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
From what I've read, I believe aftermarket will always perform better than what's stock. I don't think you'd put a stock Camaro SS or ZL1 into a professional race.

Yeah. I agree. Wish we didn't have to make all the mods, and the automaker just did it the best way to begin with. I would prefer it that way, however, it may be that a lot of people wouldn't purchase the vehicle if priced out of their range. I'd hope they would met us half way though considering if you really want an Camaro to perform at ultimate levels you have to rip everything out and replace it. starting with the bushings.
Thing is the mojority of sports car owners purchase them for nostalgic reasons, bragging rights, et al. Most just use them to drive to work and pick up groceries. Because of this, the vehicle isn't built to perform at peok levels. And, the real drivers pay the price.
I've done just a handfull of suspension mods to mine and I tell you it's night and day stock vs mods, I can't wait until I do the rest, and as a daily driver my back doesn't hurt one bit. I can't say the same about my pocket though. LOL
These, vehicles are awesome with the right amount of power, and suspension mods to stick to the road.
It would be nice if they just offered a track package as a factory option (most of the Pedders as well as some of the Pfadt suspension parts are already GM approved). That way those just concerned about price would be happy and the rest could spend a little more for the performance they want from the factory.

- GM are you listening??
Kabul SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #16
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Our position on Magnetic ride control is based off of our experience with the C5 and C6 Corvettes. The Mag Ride dampers will offer increased performance and comfort over the current suspension components equipped on the Camaro from the factory and from an engineering standpoint the system is extremely cool and really does offer real world differences. That being said, ultimately when Corvette owners are looking to upgrade their suspension systems they typically go to coilovers and never look back.

So far it's uncertain the performance benefit the Mag Ride suspension will have for the ZL1. Obviously the cars are hauling the mail around tracks all over the world right now so our feeling is that the system is setup very nicely for street and track performance. That being said, the ZR1 also sets some amazing times stock and sees significant performance benefits from a true coilover system. For drivers seeking the ultimate performance our coilover products developed specifically for the Camaro will offer the same benefits they always have:
  • Wide range of easilly accessed damping adjustment that requires no drilling
  • Damping rates designed exclusively to increase your camaros performance
  • Inverted shocks for less unsprung weight
  • Spring rates selected specifically for the Camaro, with custom rates available
  • Custom mounting solutions to optimize handling for the 5th gen
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:03 AM   #17
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
So would the Justice kit be considered fully Pedderised.....if so, i found my next series of mods
Yes sir it would. Thank you for choosing Pedders for your 5th Gen!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #18
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
For the average user and even light track duty customer, it is going to be a HUGE difference in the car.

The ability to change how the car rides and it's ability to change to different road conditions is going to be a big leap in traction and ride for the Camaro owners.

Now what I have found, is that if you are taking the car WAY past the limit of what it was designed for with race tires, and a lot more downforce with added aero bits you will exceed what the system can handle and will have to revert back to a traditional style suspension system.

For most of you, it is an extremely cool setup, and more than marketing hype.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #19
55Designs

Drives: 2010
On my 2011 CTSV we only have 2 modes, Tour and Sport. It seems the ZL1 will also add a Track mode which I wish the integrated into the CTSV.

I have to be honest here. We lowered our CTSV with 3 different springs from D3 and Eibach. The car looks killer but the MAg ride does not work as well so there is a trade off. Everyone hates Fender Gap you would think the OEM would wake up by now.

So for anyone looking to lower the car only your not going to be fully happy but I think in Track Mode if GM did the engineering right it will feel awesome and I would leave it alone.

The only cars that I get to drive on a semi regular basis from our customers that have Mag ride and blow my mind are the Ferrari 599 GTB, GT0, 458 and California. On those cars the systems are just amazing and I am sure Ferrari spent much more money on the engineering than GM.

Kw has a V3 kit for the CTSV that defeats the Mag Ride and we plan on installing one on our CTSV this winter. I know Kw will make a similar system for the ZL1 owners by Spring 2012. This really would be the only option to do it right, leave Mag ride alone or tear it all out with Kwv3.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #20
SparkyDL75
SparkyDL75

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/Grey
According to the ZL1 Dealer Reference Guide

"The Camaro ZL1 will feature the 3rd generation of Magnetic Ride Control. MRC employs valveless damping and MagnetoRheological fluid technology. MR fluid is a suspension of iron particles in a synthetic fluid.... Particles are magnetized and aligned into fibrous structures, changing flow resistance... The new dual coil design also enables faster response, with damping levels now adjustable up to 1000 times per second - about one adjustment per inch of vehicle travel at 60 mph - making the system exceptionally responsive to changing driving and road conditions. There are 3 settings for MRC in the ZL1: Tour, Sport, and Track."

It also includes the Performance Track Management system with 5 settings to adjust the MRC, launch control, Traction Control, and stability control systems.
Suspension Pedders Pace Car Pkg w/ZL1 Upgrade; Pedders Upper & Lower Control Arm, Steering, & Differential Mount Bushings; Pedders SS Brake Lines; Pedders Dual Bearing Camber Plates; ZL1 Toe Link; Hawk Performance Ceramic brake pads
Drivetrain Maggie2300(8psi-3.4pulley); CompCam; 85lb injectors; ZL1 fuel pump; ZR1 MAP; Centerforce DYAD Twin Disc clutch; Stainless Works LT headers; QTP Cutouts; Rotofab intake; RX catch can; Mike Norris tune 643rwhp 598 rwtq

SparkyDL75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:37 AM   #21
Kabul SS

Drives: IBM Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabul SS View Post
It would be nice if they just offered a track package as a factory option (most of the Pedders as well as some of the Pfadt suspension parts are already GM approved). That way those just concerned about price would be happy and the rest could spend a little more for the performance they want from the factory.

- GM are you listening??
I just read about GM's 1LE SEMA concept car with MRC. I guess they are listening.

Kabul SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #22
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
Bottom line for me is, I will flat out cry if my peddersized SS handles better than my Zl1. (I am one of the lucky ones who received a allocation and will be ordering tomorrow)

I really really hope that I dont essentially downgrade in regards to handling.

I just like the fact that the car will do all the adjusting on its own.... But man I hate the fact that the Zl1 is so high off the ground. So having said that, I wrote a little letter to our suspension god.

Dear Pete,

Please design something for the Zl1 that will lower the car drastically but at the same time not cheat the MR system but actually work with the system to provide even better handling.

Thanks
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #23
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by toilets View Post
Bottom line for me is, I will flat out cry if my peddersized SS handles better than my Zl1. (I am one of the lucky ones who received a allocation and will be ordering tomorrow)

I really really hope that I don't essentially downgrade in regards to handling.

I just like the fact that the car will do all the adjusting on its own.... But man I hate the fact that the Zl1 is so high off the ground. So having said that, I wrote a little letter to our suspension god.

Dear Pete,

Please design something for the Zl1 that will lower the car drastically but at the same time not cheat the MR system but actually work with the system to provide even better handling.

Thanks
I have learned one incontrovertible fact in my years of life. There is a God. I am not him.

Lowering a MR vehicle and maintaining the excellence of the OE integration is a daunting task. A slight drop with lowering coils is as close as you can get. If you visit the Vette and CTS-V forums you will find this to be a consensus perspective.

The OE MR system will be best for all but the most aggressive and skilled drivers. For those people we will install our current Justice System with a revised rear bar. From all the data I have collected on the 5th Gen and all the soft - verbal - data I have on the ZL1, the ZL1 is now neck and neck with the Pedders Camaro we released and have documented on this forum two years ago. From top to bottom we have detailed our build so that everyone in the community has access to it for thier own builds. The HUGE plus of the ZL1 -- IT IS A FULL WARRANTY FACTORY HOT ROD. Way to go GM

The Lingenfelter L/28 is much faster. To give you an isolated bit of data, in our Gingerman testing on the back straight the 'new' course the L/28 is over 10% faster 12.6 MPH. The test conditions were terrible with a damp cold track. This is part motor, part brakes and part suspension in that the greater the speed you carry out of a turn the higher the speed on the straight will be. We expect to see our fair share of Pedderised ZL1s, not because the ZL1 is in any way bad, but because no matter how great a new car is there are always a few that want more.

Make no mistake about it, there will be some tears shed when really well built 5th Gens are traded for the ZL1. There is no way I would trade a L/28 for a ZL1. I would sit in a corner and cry for a week over that deal no matter how much cash I got with the new ZL1 But that is just me.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #24
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
I guess time will tell but isnt the L/28 going to be more than the Zl1?
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #25
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by toilets View Post
I guess time will tell but isnt the L/28 going to be more than the Zl1?
Lingenfelter will build L/28s to order so the price points will have a wide range. When you use Forgeline wheels with lightening pockets and titanium hardware to save weight things start getting expensive. The CTS-V brakes are a budget friendly upgrade that bring an SS equal in braking to a ZL1. Add Brembo GT-R brakes and the cost factor jumps. Are they better than ZL1 breaks? Is the sky blue? Is water wet? It all depends how far you want to take a 5th Gen.

Is an L/28 faster around a track or down the strip than a ZL1? Is the sky blue? Is water wet? All joking aside, the performance data on the ZL1 that is publicly available indicates the ZL1 now matches the Pedders USA Camaro. We are the aftermarket and we are supposed faster than OE. That is why we partnered with LPE to build the L/28
Old 10-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #26
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Lingenfelter will build L/28s to order so the price points will have a wide range. When you use Forgeline wheels with lightening pockets and titanium hardware to save weight things start getting expensive. The CTS-V brakes are a budget friendly upgrade that bring an SS equal in braking to a ZL1. Add Brembo GT-R brakes and the cost factor jumps. Are they better than ZL1 breaks? Is the sky blue? Is water wet? It all depends how far you want to take a 5th Gen.

Is an L/28 faster around a track or down the strip than a ZL1? Is the sky blue? Is water wet? All joking aside, the performance data on the ZL1 that is publicly available indicates the ZL1 now matches the Pedders USA Camaro. We are the aftermarket and we are supposed faster than OE. That is why we partnered with LPE to build the L/28
I can't wait to watch the L28 tear up the track next week.
Maybe if I am really good I might get a chance to get a ride or drive the beast.
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:55 AM   #27
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Drives: 07Taho, 11CamaroRS, 12CTSV Coupe
Have MRC on my CTS-V and I can attest to the fact that there is definitively a difference. Totally transforms the car from smooth STS-ish ride (Which is still a great handling car) to Corvette type handling with the push of a button on my dash. (Second button UNDER the analog Clock)

The ZL1 is getting an upgraded version of this. I'm a lil pissed.. but am eagerly awaiting the GEN3 CTS-V in 2014.

Cmicasa the Great XvX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #28
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws444 View Post
I can't wait to watch the L28 tear up the track next week.
Maybe if I am really good I might get a chance to get a ride or drive the beast.
We did tear off a little piece