Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #15
pjm333

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
Thanks Bigtime53 I will give that a try !
pjm333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #16
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

Drives: none
question, if you rotate the tires on the car will the information then be displayed on the wrong side, so if it says 30psi left front that will actually be 30psi right front???

I haven't done this just wondering how the system works.
GenF-GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #17
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.N. View Post
question, if you rotate the tires on the car will the information then be displayed on the wrong side, so if it says 30psi left front that will actually be 30psi right front???

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing each monitor is assigned a location, rather than the system detecting the location.

Also, and I'm pretty sure you know this, you can't rotate ZL1 tires front to back or left to right, as each tire is designed for a specific location by size and rotation direction.
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #18
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.N. View Post

That is correct.

Each wheel has a TPMS that has a serial number.by using the TPMS re-learn tool, you are telling the car which serial numbered TPMS is where.

If were to rotate your tires, but you didn't go through the re-learn process, you could end up with the DIC reporting a low right rear tire when in fact it would be reading the wrong tire.

Of course with the stock tires on the ZL1, you can't rotate the tires anyway.

In the fall when I take the Goodyear tires /wheels off and store them in the house, I put a set of wheels/tires that I bought for my 2011 SS on the car, and I have to go through the TPMS re-learn process, otherwise the car would be trying to still read from the old wheels that are in the basement.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #19
Trickskier
Native Floridian

Drives: 2014 - ZL1 / 2003 - Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamales View Post
Mine is doing that too, same exact tire as yours. It only happens at highway speeds where it'll flash at me to have it checked then after a few minute it'll resolve itself. Day to day city driving it's fine. Let us know how it works out for you.
Same issue as well. Left rear tire on on a long drive. Then resets itself after cycling key.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #20
cdjnight

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
Same problem when I installed aftermarket wheels and tires with new TPMS sensors. Never had a problem with factory ones for first 1500 miles
Old 06-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #21
TOO.BAD

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 Convertible
Hi Patrick, I just put on my new factory Black machine faced polished wheels that I bought on Ebay. They are balanced and have factory TPMS. These wheels and tires have never been on a car. For the first day my monitor system worked fine. Now I have a service tire pressure moniter system and no readings on all 4 tires. I am going to bring it in for service real soon. Stop by and see them soon.
Sal
TOO.BAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #22
pjm333

Thanks for all of your help, I let out the air and re filled it but it didn't work. I did have the tire replaced last September & looking back that's when the problem started. The dealer does know this & I am bringing the car again in this Monday. Let me know Sal what your dealer says, Thanks again everyone !
Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 PM   #23
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm333 View Post
Thanks for all of your help, I let out the air and re filled it but it didn't work. I did have the tire replaced last September & looking back that's when the problem started. The dealer does know this & I am bringing the car again in this Monday. Let me know Sal what your dealer says, Thanks again everyone !
pjm333,

I can understand your displeasure with the TPMS, but it's great that you've sought assistance with your dealer. Feel free to keep us posted on the diagnosis, or contact me privately if additional assistance is needed .

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:03 AM   #24
TOO.BAD

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 Convertible
Patrick, My dealer had a hand held tool that they pointed at the tire until the horn on my car blew. They repeated it on all 4 tires and now everything works great. It took 5 minutes. I tried to reteach it myself but it didn't work. My dealer said 90% of the time they have to use the tool to reset the system. My dealer, Maritime Motors of Fairfield, is great. Ask for Ralph or Matt and they will fix you up right away.
TOO.BAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #25
pjm333

Thanks Sal, My dealer said they use that tool also. Hopefully this Monday will be the last time I bring it on for this, if not I will give Maritime Motors a try. Thanks again !
Old 07-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #26
pjm333

The car has been at the dealer since yesterday morning & I received a email today saying they cant figure out whats wrong with the TPMS. But they think that the window tinting I had done could be the cause of the problem. I had the windows tinted about 1 month ago but the problem with the TPMS has been going on since last September.
Any one ever heard of window tinting interfering with the TPMS ? Seems like they are blaming me because they cant figure it out. Thanks !
Old 07-03-2014, 04:42 AM   #27
pjm333

I have used the TPMS tester and so has the dealer with no luck, thanks for your reply !