Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
RBL

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS
I totaled my car, so now what to do.

Well I totaled my SS saturday night. My question is do I tell the insurance company about my supercharger and try to get them to cover some of it, or do I just not say anything and try to buy my car back from them and pull the motor and supercharger out myself and resale it?

2012 L99, whipple, Roto-Fab, Stainless Power headers, ZL1 fuel pump, cat delete.
RBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
Blue Thunder

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 1SS/RS
Probably should have done some thinking about this day a while ago and had a plan in place. My thought is they will not add any value to your car for the add ons. Best to talk to your adjuster about being able to remove the SC.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Stainless Power 1-7/8 headers, HF cats
Magnaflow 3" tru-x cat back exhaust
NicKey Dyno tune
Bo White ported throttle body
Elite Engineering Catch Can
CAI air intake
GM Strut Brace Bar
JL Audio 12w3 sub, JX1000/1d amp
CFD Carbon Fiber pistol grip TapShift shifter
EGX rear window louvers
4500k HID head and fog lights

Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
1985airborne
One Slow Automatic

Drives: 2017 GS 2010 CAMARO SS
Yes you can tell them but unless you told them to cover it with your policy they will not insure it. USAA wouldnt for me when i totaled my first SS. They gave me the addresss to the yard where my car was and I stripped my own car. I had full Bolt ons and spoiler...Hell had I knew what I know now I would have took the throttle body as well...Sorry for your lost, but strip all your parts and buy another one!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
unxpected_12
Xpect the unXpected

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
i work for an insurance company and we frindge on modified vehicles. there is actually a question we have to answer... is the vehicle is customized or modified. Once we put the option for modified we sometimes can not insure it. if you have your car at home remove what you put in to it. try to put some of the stock stuff back. best advise coming from the insurance side. in the future FYI there is an endorsement that needs to be placed for additional coverage for expensive wheels and tires and sound system.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
Mannsiam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS 1LE
Finally some good advice ^^^^^. Thank you for the insite.

Yeah Im a Chevy Guy. 11 Silverado, 12 Malibu, 14 Camaro 1LE
Mannsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by unxpected_12 View Post
i work for an insurance company and we frindge on modified vehicles. there is actually a question we have to answer... is the vehicle is customized or modified. Once we put the option for modified we sometimes can not insure it. if you have your car at home remove what you put in to it. try to put some of the stock stuff back. best advise coming from the insurance side. in the future FYI there is an endorsement that needs to be placed for additional coverage for expensive wheels and tires and sound system.

good advice..

however every company is different. my insurance would cover a stereo if its bolted to the car.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
RBL

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS
thanks, guess I will just keep my mouth shut and try to buy the car back.

2012 L99, whipple, Roto-Fab, Stainless Power headers, ZL1 fuel pump, cat delete.
RBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
some insurance companies will give you the option too. they'll pay out with the mods (then they get to keep) or base the payout on a stock car and you get to keep the mods.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
jd10013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBL View Post
thanks, guess I will just keep my mouth shut and try to buy the car back.
the only problem with that is the insurance adjuster will have looked at the car to determine if it is a total loss and and will know there are mods on it. they'll likely charge you more to buy it back.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I think you need to be up-front with your agent. If the mods weren't covered they probably weren't figured into the price thy will be paying you for the car. If that's the case, they may very well let you strip off the mods before final disposition. A friend of mine did just that about 10 years ago with his totaled (and modified) Challenger (older model year). His insurer called the junk yard and he was able to get back his undamaged mods - no charge. Better hurry though!!! Good luck.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #11
unxpected_12
Xpect the unXpected

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
We have had cases where people replace engines with worked on or different displacement or suspension parts without us knowing and we do consider some portion to a certain extent. And yes anything that is permanently bolted to ur verhicle is covered ei on diesel trucks external fuel tanks etc..but if you want something covered properly be sure to let your company know so they can document it and take photos. We always say....bring me a pic showing the stuff on the vehicle or a install manual or heck even the wiring left from a stolen sounds system and we will cover but it all depends on value and mods. Like on my 05 nbs crew cab its FBO with everything possible on it to not take chances I put the endorsements on it for additional equipment installed. We also finance vehicles and I have people come in wanting to buy a modified truck for say 11k but only finance 6000 because of the book value the rest is up to the customer to properly cover since its hard to place vakues on aftermarket equipment. Hope it helps.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #12
jd10013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I think you need to be up-front with your agent.
this.

the last thing you need is to end up on a fraud list.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #13
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
When I totaled my trucked a while back, my insurance company did give me a little extra on my check, but no where near how much the mods/replaced tires cost.

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:58 PM   #14
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Thanks for this thread. You just prompted me to call my insurance agent as I have been saying I needed to for a while now.

Sorry for the loss of your Camaro. Hope it works out as well as posible & you are wearing that permagrin again ASAP.