Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-21-2023, 01:14 PM   #1
5150WS6

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Clean paint of calipers

SMH.

I bought SS from a very close girlfriend. It’s silver and she had a lot of things professionally painted silver to match. Like the roof rails, taillight bezels and yes…..unfortunately the Brembo brake calipers.

It was all done nicely. But when you paint over red powder coating with a lighter silver paint….that red is now coming through so they look pinkish silver. I hate it.

So I know powder coating is pretty tough. Would it stand up to paint remover if I was careful to get that damn silver off the calipers?

I’m unsure of the best way to get that silver off. I don’t believe they were clear coated or anything. Just shot with silver.

What are some recommends?

Mike
5150WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 04:59 PM   #2
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Could take them to a place that does bead blasting and then repaint or powdercoat.
Old 01-21-2023, 08:18 PM   #3
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I would try scotch brite and some lacquer thinner. The scotch brite will rough up the surface for good paint bite and the lacquer thinner should get enough of the paint off, get any loose paint off, and degrease them all in one step. I think I would use a primer prior to a final coat too but don't know right off of any high heat primer but I'm sure it's out there. But I'm curious as to what others would do.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 06:52 AM   #4
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
⁷I would start as gentle as I could. Mineral spirits, then enamel reducer, then lacquer thinner. You may be able to wipe the silver off and salvage the powder coat, depending on what they used for paint and whether they sanded them first. If not, there is a product called G2, I think, that guys paint them with while on the car, or you break them down and have them powdered whatever you like. That list goes from cheapest to most expensive.

Good luck!
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:54 PM   #5
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
soda or dry ice blast.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:15 PM   #6
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Just throwing this out there. Why not use a kit like G2 and go over it? I used the G2 kit on my SS, my friends GT, and my brothers G8 and they still look brand new after years of use.

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote