Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 11-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #29
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
Better safe than sorry... but when is the last time anyone has used thier spare? I haven't in my entire driving career. Who would be willing to give up up thier trunk space for a full sized spare (or one large enough to clear the brakes)? I don't miss it at all but that's just me. I suppose I'll have to eat my words if I run over a nail in a few months.
I've had to use one maybe three times in my short driving life. I'm a man and I refuse to call a service to come save me if I have a flat. You don't lose anything, unless you are using that cubby hole under your trunk to store other stuff besides the battery. You can get a spare in the V6 camaro (beacuse they don't have the big brakes) and all you need to rock one in your SS/ZL1 is a small spacer, which also fits in the cubby hole.

I've had various spare tire set ups in Ginger, so I'm kind of an expert in the situation.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #30
1BADZL1
THE CAMARO KING

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 on order #PZSD7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
I've had various spare tire set ups in Ginger, so I'm kind of an expert in the situation.
Well.. You know we are going to ask...
Whatever you have in Ginger now we are going to go with...
Lets see the current setup.

1000 Initial Order 11/11/2011 Chevyland
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 11/11/2011 - PZSD7S
2000 Order accepted by GM: 12/14/2011
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 00/00/2011 - TPW 00/00/2011
3100 Sequenced: 00/00/2011
3300 Scheduled For Production:0/0/2012
3400 Broadcast: 0/0/2012
3800 Produced: 0/0/2012
4000 Available To Ship: 0/0/2012
4200 Shipped: 0/0/2012
5000 Delivered To The Dealer: 0/0/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer:0/0/2012
1BADZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #31
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
60,000 sports car and a $3 buck can of InflataFlat.... I'd at least like the option of GETTING a spare...... can I DELETE the SPARE DELETE?
By definition...these kinds of cars are about compromises.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #32
1BADZL1
THE CAMARO KING

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 on order #PZSD7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
By definition...these kinds of cars are about compromises.

Hold it. Foul ball.. Having a flat at 3 am in the morning on a Super Highway is not compromise....
I can do with out a lot of things.... But even though they do not always get used they still put spare tires underneath new pick trucks right?
You need a spare or someway out of a bind if you have a flat...
Instead of calling someone to pick you up.
1000 Initial Order 11/11/2011 Chevyland
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 11/11/2011 - PZSD7S
2000 Order accepted by GM: 12/14/2011
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 00/00/2011 - TPW 00/00/2011
3100 Sequenced: 00/00/2011
3300 Scheduled For Production:0/0/2012
3400 Broadcast: 0/0/2012
3800 Produced: 0/0/2012
4000 Available To Ship: 0/0/2012
4200 Shipped: 0/0/2012
5000 Delivered To The Dealer: 0/0/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer:0/0/2012
1BADZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #33
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY68RS View Post

Hold it. Foul ball.. Having a flat at 3 am in the morning on a Super Highway is not compromise....
I can do with out a lot of things.... But even though they do not always get used they still put spare tires underneath new pick trucks right?
You need a spare or someway out of a bind if you have a flat...
Instead of calling someone to pick you up.
I don't know, honestly, if Porsche's have a spare tire...but I'd wager they don't. Corvette....nope. And a whole host of other high-performance cars as well. All I meant was....there is a spectrum in the auto biz, in my eyes...

On the left are super-efficient and convenient cars...and on the right...the Bugatti Veyron and Ultimate Aero ()....All other cars land somewhere in between them, and each bears some compromise to the left or right, depending on the vehicle. The closer they land to the right...the more you give up in the way of convenience, fuel economy, ground-clearance, cost, practicality, etc...In the ZL1s case, we've got Silverado fuel economy, and no spare tire.

All in the name of speed and performance.

I gladly forfeit the spare.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #34
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
But you have the $3 can of fix-a-flat.....
Old 11-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #35
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY68RS View Post
Well.. You know we are going to ask...
Whatever you have in Ginger now we are going to go with...
Lets see the current setup.

Here is a thread to the first spare kit I had. Ginger gets a spare tire! Clears roller skate brakes.

I then sold that kit because I was no longer going to use the tall (and HEAVY) 20" stock wheels and tires. My F14 wheels/tire set up is 2" shorter up fronts and 1.5" so I bought this set up for dirt cheap (this is the Ebay kit everyone buys for $450+). Camaro SS Spare tire kit for sale

Then, I sold that set up because I decided to buy some skinnies for the track and figured I could just use one of those for a spare.
CTS-V spares as front runners on GINGER

The only hard part of piecing together your own kit is that the spacer needed is not an in stock part, I lucked out and pieced together my first kit for about $180. There are many companies that can custom make you a spacer, just make sure it is 5x120mm (NOT 5x120.7mm/5x4.75") and 66.9 mm (i used 67.1 mm) hubcentric.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #36
Barry626

Drives: 2012 Audi A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl View Post
+1

Cell phone is a lot lighter than a spare tire, lol.
What's a cell phone gonna do for you?
Who u think your gonna can in the AM or after 5:00 PM when most stores close.
Call AAA ya right, they don't come to you with a spare tire. if you don't have one in trunk.
Your shit out of luck & need to be towed. Where will that be if on a Sunday night or 3:00 AM?
Shit in the can does zip for most flats & for sure nothing for blow outs!
I say get a spare & keep it in your garage. You get a flat & need it it's easy to get to.
If you go long distance or out of town throw it in the trunk & your good to go!
Barry626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #37
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry626 View Post
Just tossing around hypothetical's, here...if you're going far away, I have to assume you're bringing luggage?
Old 11-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #38
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Perhaps I'm ignorant but I'll pass on the spare. I also don't carry scuba gear incase I land in a river. The line has to be drawn somewhere for this type of car. Add a spare if you wish when you are having tint put in, it won't cost too much. What other high performance cars offer this? Why the double standard?

I'm a man and am not threatened by the idea of calling for help in the off chance I'll need it. For all of the overweight and overpriced comments it is surprising how many would be willing to add the weight and cost of a spare. For the money spent to shave weight im not surprised or disappointed GM decided not to put a spare in. This car isn't practical - it isn't an SUV or a Prius. That's why I'm buying it - I accept the lack of spare and stand behind the decision to exclude it. I appreciate the desire to have a spare but I don't think GM should be criticized for not offering it.

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #39
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry626 View Post
What's a cell phone gonna do for you?
Who u think your gonna can in the AM or after 5:00 PM when most stores close.
Call AAA ya right, they don't come to you with a spare tire. if you don't have one in trunk.
Your shit out of luck & need to be towed. Where will that be if on a Sunday night or 3:00 AM?
Shit in the can does zip for most flats & for sure nothing for blow outs!
I say get a spare & keep it in your garage. You get a flat & need it it's easy to get to.

That's EXACTLY what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Just tossing around hypothetical's, here...if you're going far away, I have to assume you're bringing luggage?
Like I said earlier, do you put your luggage under the trunk around the battery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
Perhaps I'm ignorant but I'll pass on the spare. I also don't carry scuba gear incase I land in a river. The line has to be drawn somewhere for this type of car. Add a spare if you wish when you are having tint put in, it won't cost too much. What other high performance cars offer this? Why the double standard?

I'm a man and am not threatened by the idea of calling for help in the off chance I'll need it. For all of the overweight and overpriced comments it is surprising how many would be willing to add the weight and cost of a spare. For the money spent to shave weight im not surprised or disappointed GM decided not to put a spare in. This car isn't practical - it isn't an SUV or a Prius. That's why I'm buying it - I accept the lack of spare and stand behind the decision to exclude it. I appreciate the desire to have a spare but I don't think GM should be criticized for not offering it.
Like you said earlier you have never had a flat, once you get stranded with no help available you might change the way you think. It has happened to me twice. Also, my car is about 2.5" lower than stock and if I get a flat, that corner of the car is going to drop down even lower. You ever see a lowered car with a flat get pulled onto a flatbed? It will make you cringe! Also as far as the cost goes, if you EVER get a flat the cost of the spare will pay for itself by avoiding the towing fee (towing isn't as cheap as it used to be).
Old 11-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #40
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Like I said earlier, do you put your luggage under the trunk around the battery?
I was visualizing a full-size tire...
Old 11-27-2011, 12:42 AM   #41
Pappa Joe

Drives: Charger/TL1000R/Cobalt/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
60,000 sports car and a $3 buck can of InflataFlat.... I'd at least like the option of GETTING a spare...... can I DELETE the SPARE DELETE?

KK heres the prob,Since the tires are location specific,The Zl1 would need 4 spare tires,Front left ,front right,back left, back right ! Guess you could keep em in back seat,since they useless for anyone other than a midget!
Pappa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:52 AM   #42
snapp32e

Drives: '81-Z28/'07-Tundra/'12-ZL1/'13-Jeep
Would they need a full performance spare though? They could have a general usage spare on a steel rim that could be positioned on any corner. Although it should be labeled "Not For Track Use" as you never know what some people might try. LOL.
snapp32e is offline   Reply With Quote