Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
Barton Shifter Problem- Please Help!

So I installed the Barton Shifter (Flat Stick- whole shifter assembly), and there is a serious issue. The shifter feels really light and agile when the car is off, but when the engine is actually running, the shifter becomes completely stiff. Obviously I know the shifter is going to be a lot looser when the engine is off, but I am saying this to show that it probably isn't a problem with the stick or anything. When the engine is running, it takes a good amount of force to get into first, and it is very difficult to get into reverse. The other gears are not too bad, but I certainly don't see any shortness in the throw, just a lot of resistance in switching the gears. Any advise? I'll try to add pics if necessary.
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Did you replace the centering springs or leave them out? Most people leave them off without issue.

I would double check the linkage at the bottom of the shifter to make sure the pin and clips are right and nothing is binding inside the bottom boot (and that the boot is in good position too).

It shouldn't have that much additional resistance with the engine running. Keep in mind a shorter shift means less leverage and more effort is required with all these aftermarket shifters.
And here's a good post on a Barton install: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53823.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Ventmaster

BTW- if the Barton instructions didn't mention anything about the centering springs on the V6 (the Hurst instructions sure didn't when I got mine), you probably need to access them to make sure they are in their proper positions.

If you were able to extract the stock shifter without looking at them, they could easily cause serious interference of your Barton.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
djrasras

I removed the centering springs and didn't put them back in.

Quote:
I would double check the linkage at the bottom of the shifter to make sure the pin and clips are right and nothing is binding inside the bottom boot (and that the boot is in good position too).
Can you explain in more detail about what you mean by the binding inside the bottom boot? Also, I see a lot of people talking about the difficulty of putting the bottom boot back on (this is referring to the rubber cover thing under the car correct?), but it only took me several minutes. Could I have done something wrong here?
Old 12-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Ventmaster

Sure- if a clip didn't seat correctly, it could fall off and the pin could work itself out and limit the travel of the shifter.

And yes I'm referring to the rubber boot under the car that many people have the most trouble with replacing. For some it's easy, but sometimes it seems to be secure with the lip fully engaged all the way around, only to find it dropped down after a few miles and rubbing on the driveshaft.

If your issue persists, it worth be worth a look inside to check the pin- since replacing the boot didn't give you any trouble.

But it's possible that what you're experiencing is just the loss of leverage with a "short" shifter. Did I read the Barton is height adjustable? If so, you could lengthen it a bit and see if that improves things.

Good luck and have fun!

One more thing- I've tried like 5 different trans gear oils and found Royal Purple 75-90w to be about the best. If you've never changed the gear oil (2 qts and an easy DIY), you'd prolly see some shifting benefit to do that now too!
Old 12-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I second the trans gear oil change after you verify the hardware. Made a real difference in my Barton.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
djrasras

I bought the transmission fluid, and I'm going to use that soon. What I did so far is raise the stick, and that really helped a lot! Turns out I didn't read the part where it said only screw in the stick to the shifter 12 turns down, and I did about 20 turns, so it was really hard loosening it up again. But it is still pretty hard to shift into reverse, 1st, and 2nd, so should I raise the stick even higher or do what the manual says and lower it for the "Shortest throw"?
Old 12-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
Ventmaster

Shortest throw= least leverage. Go with what feels best for you.

And don't procrastinate on that gear oil change- you'll be surprised how much better it feels!