Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #15
2014CamaroZL1

Drives: 2014 CRT ZL1
Cars to most people are just appliances...so shops and dealerships act accordingly.
That is...just well enough to not get complaints from most customers.

If more owners were more particular, shops would have to do better.
But most owners are not, so most shops don't.

Real top-tier shops understand the concerns of the enthusiast.
That is why they get our business.

I understand if a shop does not want to go through the effort.
Why expend the additional if you don't need another customer.

I appreciate when they are cognizant enough to tap out up front.
2014CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #16
Spektrum

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
You all are correct, I did sound ignorant in my comment and I apologize. I was responding in a hurry and should've proofed what I said. Talking about the level of business I run was irrelevant as well.

OP, I'm not criticizing your opinion and how you want your car repaired. As I said, we treat all cars the same, whether it's a Toyota with 300,000 miles or the first time customer with his Porsche that requested we install his new tires. Everything is respected to the fullest, because in the end customer's keep the business running. Period. My response didn't highlight upon key components in your comment and I can see how I came across as disrespectful.

It wasn't my intent to be rude, I was just saying that there are situations where a shop can't have a person as their customer. It's unfortunate, but it happens. Nothing is cut and dry, everything is taken into consideration when trying to make them happy.
Spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #17
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
12 & 13 camaros. The brake fluid reservoir around the seams leaks ever so slightly and some caps leak too....
I had to have the reservoir replaced on my SS for leakage around the cap, per the TSB. No leaks a year later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum View Post
As a Service Manager of an independent repair shop I probably would've told you to take the business elsewhere, too. I run a top tier shop and don't need reminded about how important a car is to someone, as we treat all cars the same. I wouldn't want my shop "married" to your vehicle over a simple reservoir change because I know when you get home you're pulling out the magnifying glass. Not just on the reservoir, but your wheels, seats, carpets, steering wheel, etc... Anything you think we might have accessed or touched.

I respect that you love your car and I respect that you want it back perfect. But I would certainly rather another shop help you out, personally.
As a former dealership AND independent Service Manager myself, I'm going to tell you that you're looking at it the wrong way. As with the OP, I am ultra-anal about anyone (other than myself) even touching my car for that reason. I also considered installing the reservoir myself (I keep my ASE Master Certification current even though I haven't wrenched professionally since 2001), but the dealer assured me that they had a high-level tech that "gets it". Even in spite of my requests (car never leaves the lot, don't wash it, be super-careful, etc.), they took it in with a smile. They delivered superb results, honored all of my requests, and have earned a lifetime customer. They were NOT my selling dealer. That place treated me with the same attitude as you've shown here.

Guess what? I've referred my 5th-Gen buddies to this dealer and service adviser for their needs as well. Guess where they'll buy their next Chevy?

Don't be so quick to give up on picky customers. They can become the most loyal customers if you treat them correctly.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #18
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I would imagine they took into consideration just how particular you are with your car, and decided that no matter how hard they tried to avoid spilling anything or accidently getting a few drops on your car, they would just rather allow you to change it yourself rather than risk you blowing your top if you found one tiny droplet of fluid that they missed.

by allowing you to change it yourself, they're allowing you to do it to your own satisfaction.
Yep!
Old 05-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #19
OC ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 AGM
I can totally understand what the OP is saying. I had my brake reservoir changed at my local Chevrolet dealer and waited for almost a year before I took it in because I didn't want to chance a "mistake".

I was fortunate that after I expressed my concern, the dealer was great about it and explained that they had a great technician who's father owns a ZL1. I was able to meet hi and felt better about the repair and took the leap of faith and had the car repaired. All good.

I think that the OP had every right to feel the way he did. The dealer over-reacted and shouldn't had told him to just take the parts and do it himself. There's room to try and take care of a concerned customer without letting him go.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #20
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1

Brake fluid leak

My GM dealer installing new reservoir kit, They let me watch all the work, even just simple oil changes, They do use the pump machine. After a track day season I have them do my brake flush, diff fluid change and oil. Love that I can watch it makes me feel better.

With new reservoir have not seen any more brake fluid leaking, The reservoir and cap kit solves the problem.
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:29 PM   #21
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
I had to have the reservoir replaced on my SS for leakage around the cap, per the TSB. No leaks a year later.

As a former dealership AND independent Service Manager myself, I'm going to tell you that you're looking at it the wrong way. As with the OP, I am ultra-anal about anyone (other than myself) even touching my car for that reason. I also considered installing the reservoir myself (I keep my ASE Master Certification current even though I haven't wrenched professionally since 2001), but the dealer assured me that they had a high-level tech that "gets it". Even in spite of my requests (car never leaves the lot, don't wash it, be super-careful, etc.), they took it in with a smile. They delivered superb results, honored all of my requests, and have earned a lifetime customer. They were NOT my selling dealer. That place treated me with the same attitude as you've shown here.

Guess what? I've referred my 5th-Gen buddies to this dealer and service adviser for their needs as well. Guess where they'll buy their next Chevy?

Don't be so quick to give up on picky customers. They can become the most loyal customers if you treat them correctly.

Well said
Old 05-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #22
Tyler H
XLR8TNG

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I would imagine they took into consideration just how particular you are with your car, and decided that no matter how hard they tried to avoid spilling anything or accidently getting a few drops on your car, they would just rather allow you to change it yourself rather than risk you blowing your top if you found one tiny droplet of fluid that they missed.

by allowing you to change it yourself, they're allowing you to do it to your own satisfaction.
Agreed!
Tyler H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #23
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum View Post
As a Service Manager of an independent repair shop I probably would've told you to take the business elsewhere, too. I run a top tier shop and don't need reminded about how important a car is to someone, as we treat all cars the same. I wouldn't want my shop "married" to your vehicle over a simple reservoir change because I know when you get home you're pulling out the magnifying glass. Not just on the reservoir, but your wheels, seats, carpets, steering wheel, etc... Anything you think we might have accessed or touched.

I respect that you love your car and I respect that you want it back perfect. But I would certainly rather another shop help you out, personally.

that is deffinalty a top tier attitude. I do top tier work but I just don't want you to inspect my work ha ha.

In the long run it is better to work on cars like this yourself IMO. there not scared to do the work they are scared they will do it sloppier than you would like which in the case of bake work with fluid and bleeding jobs is proabably true. they make more money doing normal sort of sloppy work that meticulous work.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #24
Jetcop20
Jetcop20

Drives: '13 ZL1 A6
wow

Just got back from a 4000 mi trip to the Florida KEYS and the brake res was a often checked item. No sign of ANY leak Must be a ( car to car ) problem
Jetcop20 is offline   Reply With Quote