Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
dcfan22

Drives: '11 2LT RS 'vert Camaro
Pulled Over - No front plate!

I have only had my Vert for 2 weeks now.... So I live in Iowa where it is required to have a license plate on the back and front of the vehicle. I didn't have the dealer install the front one due to the fact I didn't want holes in my fender. Not sure what I am going to do yet.

Today I was driving behind a car that was driving behind a State Trooper. The trooper pulled over in front of us. As we passed he pulled out behind me and flashed the cherries. I slowed down and he pulled up next to meet and pointed at me to pull over. I did and he proceeded to pull over the car in front of me.

So the trooper is in front of me which never happens - he goes to car in front first and after 5 minutes he comes back to talk to me. As he walks towards my car I see him looking at the front and right away I knew what the problem was.

Here is the cool thing that you have been waiting for - - - As he approached my window the first thing he said was " Nice Car!" I need to see your license and insurance - - - Very long story short - he came back and told me he pulled me over because I didn't have a front plate mounted and that he understood why, but I needed to get one on or face being pulled over a lot. He said Iowa enforces the front plate law and I should expect to get pulled over until I get it fixed.

He smiled and said "Drive her safe."

Nice Car - - Why yes, yes it is!!!

Matt
Old 04-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed #1879
Same story here in Nebraska. Strange thing is, if you have a classic car, you can put a real Nebraska antique plate from the year of your car on said classic car....but you only need to run one plate on the rear! Typical stupidity of this state. However, a lawmaker in Lincoln put forth a bill to abolish the front plate law. Of course, this would save the state money in this economy, so a good idea, right? NOPE! The State Patrol came out against the bill. Don't ya just love the government?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
Black Betty

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS2
I got pulled over here in Texas for the same thing, the day after I out my real plates on. Same story he ran my id, talked about the car and let me go.
Black Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
Green 11 SS
On Some Interstate

Drives: 2011 Synergy 2SS
I got the same thing here in texas too, next day i cut my plate, bent it a little here and there and mounted it on the lower grill. the dealer had already put the black license plate mount on my car so i removed it, put a little fiber glass, painted it and then put two small screws into the black grill inbetween where it originally was and the lower part of the bumper
Green 11 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Matt, thanks for sharing. Great story!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
whidobie

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS RS
Get the hideaway plate holder. It is installed under the bumper and you can get it manually or electronically. Slides under and out of site and no front drilling. The electronic works with a remote. Works well but remember you still have to watch how you drive into drive ways etc.
whidobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
dcfan22

Drives: '11 2LT RS 'vert Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by whidobie View Post
Get the hideaway plate holder. It is installed under the bumper and you can get it manually or electronically. Slides under and out of site and no front drilling. The electronic works with a remote. Works well but remember you still have to watch how you drive into drive ways etc.
Do you have one? Easy to install? Pics please. Thanks

Matt
Old 04-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
Same story here on our way back to Texas from the Fest !! The Trooper was nice enough to give us a photo !! FYI, I am the Big Guy on the Right with the Car in Front !!
Attached Images

Camaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
bowtye

Drives: 2011 iom ss/rs convertable
hahahahhhaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro21 View Post
Same story here on our way back to Texas from the Fest !! The Trooper was nice enough to give us a photo !! FYI, I am the Big Guy on the Right with the Car in Front !!
NICE!
bowtye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
whidobie

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS RS
Go online for swift motorsports. They have pictures on their site and utube. I had my dealer install and they didn't charge me. (i guess they got enough $$ from me) I don't have the time to do it myself.
whidobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
n2oSS

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
I just put mine behind the windsheild, according to what i was told is plate just has to be visible from the front of the car.
Appearance Mods:
AAC Concept Sidemarkers, P13W Plasma LED Bulbs, Iforged Classics 20".
Next Mods:
Cam and Fuel System.
n2oSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
STL20102SS

Drives: SW 2010 2SS/RS
Here is a link to the original post on retractable mounts. I installed mine and it only took a couple of hours.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=front+plate

http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...oducts_id=3922
2010 Summit White 2SS/RS M6: Injen longtube cold air intake, Borla S-Type cat-back exhaust, Tint, White painted rear diffuser, Red powder-coated Brembo calipers, New Era Performance ported throttle body, BMR 1" lowering springs, Hotchkis Chassis Max Strut Tower Brace, Red hash stripes, Vossen Matte Graphite/Machined CV5's
STL20102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #13
Chiefs Fan

Drives: 11 Vert, 2SS/RS, M6, Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro21 View Post
Great story and nice rig
Chiefs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #14
Jabs

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS Stage 2
Haha this happened to my brother on his corvette The Cop told him I wouldn't do it either if I had a vette and let him go

Jabs is offline   Reply With Quote