Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-27-2012, 02:39 AM   #1
Pgoldston

Drives: 1999 camaro
ZL1 dealer help??

Hello everyone I am Patrick and new to the site. Ill be upfront Im predominantly a Ford guy (just the way I was raised) I have 3 mustangs (2 Turbo, 1 blown). My wife on the other hand is a camaro girl, she owns a 99 camaro. As well we are both in the military and both recently returned from Iraq(me) and Afghanistan (her). We have talked about getting a new car for sometime for her and of course I was trying to talk to her into a mustang. She was not having any of it at all. She did ask me to help her get a new camaro and we were looking over the site and she saw the ZL1 and instantly fell in love with it. I explained to her all about it and the pricing and everything else. She is coming up on making e-8 so she said she is fine with the bill. I was like AWESOME!!!!! Honestly I love all fast cars no matter the make or model I just know more about fords and comfortable with them. As I studied the zl1 more and more I was pretty impressed with all the numbers and price on it. Although I can understand why chevy let this thing weigh in over 2 tons!Anyways this leads me to the real reason of the post. I have run into some issues with dealerships. This maybe alittle long apologize for it especially in my first post but I will try to cut it short.

I put out a search for a ZL1 locally and all up and down the east coast and found out about that they have to be ordered and figured that it would be a fight with the salesman about mark up. I came across Andrew at Herlong that explained to me that his dealership sells their vehicles at invoice only with out questions. While skeptical at first I was like I will try. I asked him about ordering a ZL1, he said he would get on it. Mind you Im in NC he is in South Carolina. He calls me back saying his dealership has 0 allocations and can not place the order. I thank him for his time and effort and save his number. At the same time I placed a call to my local dealer in Goldsboro. They informed me they could order a ZL1, never mentioned allocations at all, but just said it would be a order and wait 6-8 weeks to be built and he quoted me a price at msrp. While the price was good, I figured if one dealer was willing to sell at invoice which I believe for base is 51931 surely theres another.

This is where things start to bother me. I contacted a dealer in Kannapolis NC and asked them if they could order one. The internet sales person told me yes and I asked them for a quote. I received the quote again for MSRP, no reason for me to drive 3 hours one way for a price I can get locally. So I asked the dealer if they could beat that price as I can get that locally. Internet sales person says let me talk with me GM and says yes we can beat it. I ask can I get a quote before hand sent to my email, before I drive the 3 hours for nothing. Internet saleswoman says sure. 10 minutes later I get the quote, I notice it looks like they just hacked the 900 dollar destination fee off. I call back and ask if this quote is good and was told yes it is. I save both emails and tell them Im on my way to order. Mind you I already have financing locked down everything is good to go. I drive the 3 hours excited to get my name on a ..... my wifes name on a zl1. Show up and start talking to the sales man. He pulls up the info and trys to do the sales man dance with me. I say I already have a quote of 54995 (optional sunroof included in price) . I pull the email and show them. Next thing I know I get another sale person in there talking to me like I dont know the difference between a radio knob and a lug nut.He explained to me that the price I was quoting did not include the Dest Charge. I explain that his dealership quoted me a price and I expect them to honor it. He tells me to stand by and prints out the emails, at first he shows me the first email at msrp price that included the dest charge and tells me Im mistaken, thats when I pull up my email and show him to get the newest email sent at X:XX time and it shows that the dest fee was marked down to 0. He waves the GM in and the GM begins to tell me that theres nothing I can do they will not honor it. Goes on to say even if they took it at 900 off they have to submit it and GM prolly wouldnt accept it and kick it back. I asked how many allocations do they have, and the GM told me they just submit and wait and see. From my understanding dealerships only had so many allocations and they should have known.

Is there something that I am missing with the dealerships? After going back and forth with the guys there we left for the 3 hours drive home. Determined not to fail I called every dealership between Charolette, Raleigh, Fayetteville and they all told me they had already sold or had 0 allocations. I called my local dealer and asked if they could order it and they ensured me they could, I asked if they have allocations and was told it was a submit and wait for GM to build. Im still skeptical about it but heading down tomorrow to try get my wife this ZL1.

The real question is what is the deal with this. Is there something I did wrong? What is the correct way to get a ZL1 and shouldnt the dealers know how to do this? Sorry I know this is some what a rant from frustrations but I would rather he a no we cant than a maybe!
When do the 2013 allocations come out?

Patrick
Pgoldston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Welcome to the site! First of all, I'd like to sincerely thank your wife and you for serving our country and welcome back. You're not alone in getting the runaround from uninformed or ignorant dealers on the ZL1. An MSRP deal is very good if you can find one, and you should beable to. You're not doing anything wrong at all. There are others who've experienced the same problems. Hopefully, someone will chime in and let you know of a dealer who has a remaining unfilled allocation that will deal with you in a professional manner before driving to make a deposit. You might be able to handle this over the phone.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
Vulpine
'the Outcast'

Drives: N/A
I would say wait for the 2013 orders seeing we are so close to the roll over. O, and find a new dealer that you can deal with like perhaps one of the dealers here on the forum.
Vulpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
Pgoldston

Thanks guys. If there is a dealer here that has one I would love to buy on. Distance isnt really a issue. Anything on the east of the mississippi, or in Texas I will take. I would love to be able to work with someone on this, just please know what is going on and be able to answer my questions.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
RobMorgan

Drives: 12 ZL1,ZR1, 57, 60, 67 vette Harley
If a dealer does not know if they have an allocation, run. They either don't and are telling you stories or they are ignorant, so you want to avoid them anyway. Some dealerships know what is going on and those are the ones you want to deal with.
ZL1 SIM, MN6, ECF #541
RobMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
If the dealer tells you they don't know if they have an allocation or says they don't move on. It will be tough but not impossible. Hang in there and welcome to the site.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
Miami_Vice454

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS IOM
Contact
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet she is the best
Old 02-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
Pgoldston

Which rogers Chevy?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
SS main

Drives: 2006 summit white Tbss
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Woodhaven, Mi ..only 20 min from Detroit Metro Airport!
734-479-7117 ... BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet.com
Available Camaro Inventory///Body Color XM Antenna
My Summit White SS///My Pace Car
SS main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMorgan View Post
If a dealer does not know if they have an allocation, run. They either don't and are telling you stories or they are ignorant, so you want to avoid them anyway. Some dealerships know what is going on and those are the ones you want to deal with.
+1, They may also be trying to push you up to a 2013 without you knowing. Try to work past the salesman and talk to the sales manager. Most times the salesperson doesn't know if they have allocations.

You can also try http://www.edmunds.com
and this is: Becky I can tell you she doesn't have anymore allocations BUT, she goes out of her way for her customer and has been known to find what people are looking for. Becky is a grade A person, she answered all sorts of questions for me when I first started looking for the ZL1.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
rrubio

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2012 Audi Q7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgoldston View Post
Thanks guys. If there is a dealer here that has one I would love to buy on. Distance isnt really a issue. Anything on the east of the mississippi, or in Texas I will take. I would love to be able to work with someone on this, just please know what is going on and be able to answer my questions.
keep in mind that if you call a dealership and they have an order for themselves, as long as the status of the car is 3000 and under, they will be able to change it to your specifications. good luck
rrubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
Pgoldston

All I can say is WOW guys!! I have already had 2 guys shoot me some good information and it looks like I may have located a allocation. I just want to say thanks to everyone here for the help and the knowledge with this situation. Only been on the site a day and it seems like there are alot of good people and a great site. As this moves forward I will keep everyone updated on this.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
the godfather

Drives: Camaro ZL1 orange
Hello,

Call Paddock Chevrolet in Buffalo,New York. Phone (716) 876-0945. The new car manager is named Bill and he is versed in the ZL1. They have an allocation available at msrp. Also,they havetwo unsold orders, one black M6 with leather and one red automatic. I believethey are both at the 3000 event code. If you like those colors you"d be sure to get a 2012 which will be more valuablein thefuture because of the low production run. Let me know how you make out. Good luck!
the godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgoldston View Post
All I can say is WOW guys!! I have already had 2 guys shoot me some good information and it looks like I may have located a allocation. I just want to say thanks to everyone here for the help and the knowledge with this situation. Only been on the site a day and it seems like there are alot of good people and a great site. As this moves forward I will keep everyone updated on this.
If you run into any problems with getting a 2012 model, then contact BeckyD at Rodgers for a 2013 model. Very few people are as nice and as knowledgable as Becky. She can have it shipped to the dealer closest to your home. Production on 2013 ZL1 models start Mid June 2012. Good Luck and thanks for everything that you and your wife do for all of us. And if you want to meet a few thousand crazy Camaro folks, then plan to attend Camaro Fest 3 in Indianapolis in August.