Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
Specialized technicians for ZL1?

Will dealers have specialized technicians on the ZL1 or will regular mechanics try to fix it? For example, I'm going through some issues with the Jeep and the dealer can't figure out what's wrong with the Hydraulic suspension(first year they offered it). I hope that won't happen with the ZL1!
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
steveo9043

Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS Coupe
I doubt there will be a specialized technicians. Imagine only 2-3 dealers having this special technician on staff in a state. They can't have a ZL1 specialized tech at every dealership.

If I were someone getting a ZL1 I would most likely take it to a Cadillac dealer to have work done if anything is needed. If I remember correct the CTS-V has the magnetic suspension and that seems like the hardest thing to work on.
steveo9043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Coolidge

Drives: Dodge 4x4 Hemi
Wow great question. My 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 with 28k miles is sitting in the dealers shop as I type this...with its cylinder heads removed due to mushroomed valve stems and I'm increasingly concerned whether these dealer techs will get it all put back together correctly. I can't imagine them working on something like a ZL1.
Coolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
ZL1 really doesn't have much that's exotic. It's not like an LT-5 motor or something. It would seem to me the most complicated systems are mostly controlled by electronics, which I believe could be manipulated, to a certain degree, remotely, by GM, if necessary. Mechanically - the MRC III and EPS are probably the only systems that are truly something revolutionary and mechanically - probably relatively simple to diagnose and repair. LSA requires no special maintenance, nor to most of the other systems; I don't consider fluid changes (i.e. differential or tranny fluid changes after "X"-hours of track use) as special.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
dirishboy
as in Irish European

Drives: 2012 ZL1
What happens with Corvette ZR1s today?
If the dealership technicians need special training for it then they should be also qualified to work on the ZL1 Camaro.

Good question. Looking forward to an informed answer
Old 03-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Are you talking about quadra lift suspension on your jeep? Is it a new body style?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
gml1998

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
A "Good" Technician should be able figure out and repair most problems.
I worked as a Service Consultant/Manager for 20 years in a Chevy store.We always tended to use a Technicians strengths if possible.There were always a few Techs that could handle anything you gave them.
The shop I worked in was a union shop ,there were only a few things that could get a Tech fired on the spot.Theft of any type,fighting of any type, and refusal to do a repair of any type.
If you find a good Tech ,ask for him/her to do repairs .Buying them lunch once in awhile doesn't hurt. lol
gml1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gml1998 View Post
A "Good" Technician should be able figure out and repair most problems.
I worked as a Service Consultant/Manager for 20 years in a Chevy store.We always tended to use a Technicians strengths if possible.There were always a few Techs that could handle anything you gave them.
The shop I worked in was a union shop ,there were only a few things that could get a Tech fired on the spot.Theft of any type,fighting of any type, and refusal to do a repair of any type.
If you find a good Tech ,ask for him/her to do repairs .Buying them lunch once in awhile doesn't hurt. lol

it is very important to establish a good relationship with a service advisor and techician, and exercise a lot of patience. Whenever I bring a car in for trouble-shooting/repairs, I always call ahead to make sure my service advisor is around and he in turn knows very well to assign only the most qualified and competent mechanic to handle the car...it may take a day or two to free up the technician but it is worth it in the end.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
The biggest problem I have is trying to keep from having damage done to my car while it's in the shop. I can't understand why people don't respect other people's things anymore.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Joebot8484
ZL1 # 1307

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2008 Hummzilla H3
My dealer has a ZR1 certified technician the would repair my car if needed.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
The ZR1 analogy is very good. I'll ask the dealer.
Regarding the Jeep, I was talking about the Quadralift. I'm not too worried - it's a lease. The car still runs but it won't lift on level 2 and 3
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
Uneducated Guess
'12 ZL1 #742

Drives: his wife crazy
The technician(s) do have to be certified to work on the ZL1 and they are the only ones that can work on the car.
Uneducated Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
Z Boss
Camaro Addiction

Drives: 68SS81Z2887IROC97Z28SS,12ZL1,22ZLE
That is correct. My dealer has a "ZL1 tech" that was specifically trained to work on these cars. I have met this gentleman and I am greatful they selected this guy for the ZL1. He is a car guy, appreciates these high tech cars and can't wait to see the first one. We exchanged phone numbers just in case the car arrives without my knowledge. I aslo asked him specific questions about dealer installed option YM8 - IDENTIFICATION - LPO PERSONALIZATION OPTION. He said he didn't know what that was nor would he let me see his ZL1 tech training materials. He wants to keep them pristine. He may need a refresher course before the cars actually arrive!!
2012 Camaro ZL1 VIN #0004
ZL1, Ashen Grey, Black Leather, 6 speed, suede, exposed carbon fiber weave, gray stripe
Current Status: Cruisin' !!
3800 Produced: 1/27/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer: 4/27/2012
Z Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post

it is very important to establish a good relationship with a service advisor and techician, and exercise a lot of patience. Whenever I bring a car in for trouble-shooting/repairs, I always call ahead to make sure my service advisor is around and he in turn knows very well to assign only the most qualified and competent mechanic to handle the car...it may take a day or two to free up the technician but it is worth it in the end.

DUDE!!! What's up with with your avatar!!! that is too funny...BUT...is that for real??? LMAO

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote