Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #15
Pappa Joe

Drives: Charger/TL1000R/Cobalt/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
March 1, 2012. We had only one snow event this year and it was in October. So of course I was getting itchy because the whole winter I could have been driving my 4th gen Camaro or my C5 Z06 but I sold them to buy the ZL1.

Now, I am in the mood of not minding the wait. It feels like January here!

You have more snow than we got in Toronto all year! I'm being serious too lolz!
Pappa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:35 AM   #16
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Why I DO mind waiting...

The consensus is that the major publications seem to agree that the ZL1 is well engineered & delivers the goods, so what's the holdup? Chevy is confident enough to allow them to be tested to their limits with no holds barred, but WE as consumers have to wait for some kind of planetary alignment. I have many good reasons not to park my cars outside of a climate controlled garage, yet GM is OK with leaving them unprotected in a lot with temperatures that CAN damage their GOODYEAR rubber. Don't tell me that it's OK; why do you think there's a WARNING to the contrary in print? Even if the ZL1s leave the factory in pristine condition both mechanically & cosmetically... delivering them intact is another ballgame. Then there's the dealers you have to "negotiate" with. They know the car is a HOT ticket item & the sky's the limit when you are limited to allocations. You can bet that 2013/14 cars will have their base price marked up for other than subtle improvements.

I can just imagine the Marketing newsletters being circulated amongst Chevy dealers right now. You know... the "confidential" ones that YOU as a "buyer" don't see. They deal with playing the car up & allowing emotions to run rampant on enthusiast websites. It's a Pavlovian conditioning kind of thing to induce feeding frenzy.

Committing to the purchase of a ZL1 at $5K over MSRP with a non-refundable $2.5K deposit down was a real Leap of Faith for yours truly! The last GM car that I purchased was a brand new, dealer customised, $17K '83 Z-28 loaded to the gills with a teak wood dash, manual tranny & L-69 HO engine. It had to be the worst POS since that COSWORTH Vega I got stuck with in '74. I've bought a sh*tload of GM vehicles over the years, but that was the final straw & I threw in the towel. It was obvious to me that GM was resting on their laurels & didn't give a sh*t about establishing buyer confidence. GM bought back my '83 Z-28 after going a few rounds with me over the few months of ownership. Here I was making monthly payments on a car I couldn't even drive as it sat in the service department with no way to fix it. It had to be insured, obviously. It wasn't until 1.5 years later that GM came up with a retrofit fuel supply system that passed EPA certification to correct the "issue" with the Z-28 & SS Monte Carlos. The "issue" dealt with the car dying & leaving you stranded in the inner city & highway with NO warning, whatsoever. Irwin Ross was the Zone Manager at that time for anyone at Chevy going on a fact finding mission. I swore that GM had gotten the last of my business as I decided to move on to German & Japanese street machines that rarely if ever had a significant problem. With Z-28s, Trans-Ams, Corvettes... I got to know ALL the mechanics on a 1st name basis. Draw your own conclusions.

Hoopla is fun for a while & stimulates interest in the public sector. Technology is shared amongst a variety of models & if a buyer doesn't opt for a ZL1, they'll take a closer look at other Chevy offerings. Is the car bullet-proof? Does it live up to the hype? I'd like to TEST those theories in the here & now. Time is a precious resource & it's being squandered. I'm tired of hearing that it will be worth the wait.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #17
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Well, maybe the CTF was a result of some of the problems that you saw. The quality of US cars was certainly suspect in that era and many of us believe the root cause of the auto company demise in the US.

BUT, they have worked extremely hard to make sure that type of scenario isn't repeated. So they now have many processes that will ensure that a car is good quality right from the first model year.

This is part of that process. To make sure that GM doesn't lose customers again. Look how hard it has been to try and get you back! I am sure they don't want to lose you again.

So, I would be happy that they care enough about the details now to make sure the quality is acceptable. It is costing them money to have them sit there. That is the investment they are making. An investment in both actual dollars and consumer frustration. That means to me that they are very serious about making sure it's right.

Hang in there, it will in fact be worth the wait.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #18
Z4MB

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #272, 00 GTP, 00 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post

Hang in there, it will in fact be worth the wait.
2012 ZL1 #272 is a BLAST!

Victory Red, Manual, Polished Wheels, Exposed CF, Suede Package, Sunroof
Z4MB is offline   Reply With Quote