Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
Its definitely a software update (not necessarily hp gaims) or something very important was discovered and needed to be changed. Otherwise why force a owner to ship his car back from Texas? It wasn't a customs problem because that has been mentioned that new paperwork only needed to be sent and not have all the trouble that it had to go through
Old 03-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #16
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Boss View Post
Below is an unsolicited e-mail from my dealer's sales manager on my ZL1. While the dealer's comments sound good with a HP increase to match the mustang, I'm not optimistic this is true. The cars are already built and politically, they can't match the Vette's performance with a lower priced Camaro. Plus haven't seen this in the news yet. Let the analysis begin!!

"I'm sure you got the word that the ZL1's have been placed on an immediate and complete hold. Apparently Chevrolet made a decision and made it public on the news that the new mustang was coming out with 650 HP and they didn't want to introduce this SUPERCAR with less horsepower out of the gate than Ford...so, they are supposedly making a design change and bumping up the HP. That is all I heard from my boss. Our Chevrolet contact is in Disney World the next few days and I'll try to get a non-BS answer from him even if we have to torture him to confirm this..."
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..

I don't see GM needing to up the HP on the ZL1 that has been proven to be a SUPER CAR from the get-go!

Even got the Germans talking about the ZL1 performance at the RING

I don't care about the BLUE OVAL HP numbers or would have canceled ZL1........

Diehard GM owner and just can't wait to experience the SUPER PERMAGRIN that JOE (Dragoneye) has got to experience
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #17
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by toilets View Post
Its definitely a software update (not necessarily hp gaims) or something very important was discovered and needed to be changed. Otherwise why force a owner to ship his car back from Texas?
Shipping the ZL1 back from Texas had nothing to do with any specific QC issue that was found. The ZL1 was shipped back from Texas because it was never supposed to be shipped to the dealership in Texas when it was in the first place. The shipment of the ZL1 to Texas was an error that should not have occurred, and, therefore, the ZL1 was shipped back to the assembly plant. No retail ZL1 is supposed ship to dealerships until the initial ZL1 QC process is complete.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #18
noxqq

Drives: '19 ZR1 Shadow Gray & '16 Z06 LBR
In coversations that I have had and overheard, it seemed like the 580 hp statement was kind of "wink-wink" statement anyway.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #19
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
I don't think it would be that much of a big deal to change a few things to match Ford's HP#'s from a purely technical perspective, however, there are some processes these large corporations would need to follow to ensure quality and still meet the deadline for delivery (2012). And, most likely any changes would result in increased "costs", even if they were minimal as it would be considered re-work to the plan.

They most likely found a safety issue or something faulted and it needs to be resolved before they start distribution of the vehicle.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #20
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Wait, why didn't I get the memo? When did the ZL1 become considered a supercar by anyone not on C5? It's performance is impressive, that is evident, but let's be real, it's not a supercar.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #21
velociSSimo
... well, not yet.

Drives: 2012 Chevy Silverado ZL1
I think all the speculation on the hold is pretty funny actually. Some people have found very creative ideas for what the reasons may be. Good entertainment when only GM and a handful of others really know what the hold is for. Dealers don't know, friends of friends don't know, your uncle's cat's vet doesn't know, and only a very limited # of C5 members probably know. RDFI
Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #22
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
Wait, why didn't I get the memo? When did the ZL1 become considered a supercar by anyone not on C5? It's performance is impressive, that is evident, but let's be real, it's not a supercar.

To us it is, in fact it's a Super-Duper car which is even better than a Super car ...
Old 03-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #23
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
To us it is, in fact it's a Super-Duper car which is even better than a Super car ...
Thus the caveat, not on C5.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #24
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
Thus the caveat, not on C5.

Oyyy. It has performance in super car territory and it is to us.
If you don't agree, then you aren't "us"
But all your posts that I have seen in the short time I have been there already make that obvious.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #25
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
Oyyy. It has performance in super car territory and it is to us.
If you don't agree, then you aren't "us"
But all your posts that I have seen in the short time I have been there already make that obvious.
define US?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #26
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Well, this is a 5th Gen Camaro ZL1 site isn't it? The majority of us are here because we think a lot of the car.

When reviewing posting tendencies, there are some that are way far on the side of GM and they can do nothing wrong, then there are those that are negative all the time and some are actually in the middle.

A lot like politics. LOL.

I like to think that I have a reasonably open mind although I certainly have a GM bias. But some people here are posting only negative remarks to every thread.

It's quite a mix and often amusing.
Also, it's often very transparent.

Mostly it's all in fun.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #27
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
Well, this is a 5th Gen Camaro ZL1 site isn't it? The majority of us are here because we think a lot of the car.

When reviewing posting tendencies, there are some that are way far on the side of GM and they can do nothing wrong, then there are those that are negative all the time and some are actually in the middle.

A lot like politics. LOL.

I like to think that I have a reasonably open mind although I certainly have a GM bias. But some people here are posting only negative remarks to every thread.

It's quite a mix and often amusing.
Also, it's often very transparent.

Mostly it's all in fun.

great answer and yep, I agree with you.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #28
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Reply back to the dealer.... double or nothing you have no clue what you're talking about.

Free ZL1 to me if you're full of shit, or I'll pay double the MSRP price if you speak the truth.

Closed Thread