Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #211
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
I can't wait to see/hear some video footage.
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #212
Supercharged2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS - Supercharged
well my 2010 SS is rated at 717hp, my point is everything is modify-able..... if they are comparing it against at $50k car, and plan on beating it hands down expect the price to be greater than $50k. all things considered, I'll take my SS, I got less money in it than the sticker on those cars regardless of the "true market" mark up the dealerships will gouge people with. don't get me wrong the car looks spectacular, can't wait to see one on the road, and then blow it's doors off. plus I (we) all have the first one back......
Supercharged2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #213
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
so in a couple of years when the z28 owners start doggin on those of us with the SS...do we (SS owners) get to start a super secret thread and have new avatars every week?
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #214
BigBlock427
ConceptZer0

Drives: 68 427 Camaro, 11 2SS/RS, 13 ZL1
even if this is the z28 test car. We still dont know when it will be produced. if it was going to come out in 2012 like some have said the test car would be further along. hence the extra body stuff... wing, lip ext ext. and im sure the z28 will be getting the new int that is rummored to come out in 2012... we havnt even got any new info about that yet.

do i think the z28 is coming out. yes

do i think it will be out in 2012. no

it would makes sense for them to be testing the vehical dynamics with "z28" upgrades. engine, susp, ext ext but we dont even know if the z28 will come out on the zeta platform and i hope it dosnt. i think they have enough sense to give us the z28 on the alpha platfrom and shave some wieght of camaro so we can see the true perfromance of these cars.

fallow the timeline of the first camaro concept to production this thing is still in the very early stages of production... and i got to admit it makes me very ichy!

im saying 2014. which mean i will be done with my payments on the ss and will be able to trade for a z28 at least what im hopping. let the ss have its glory for at least 4 year.
BigBlock427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #215
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
God those brakes are enormous!
YEESSS i thought i was the only one who noticed XD
that caliper takes up damn near HALF the rotor!
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #216
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock427 View Post
even if this is the z28 test car. We still dont know when it will be produced. if it was going to come out in 2012 like some have said the test car would be further along. hence the extra body stuff... wing, lip ext ext. and im sure the z28 will be getting the new int that is rummored to come out in 2012... we havnt even got any new info about that yet.

it would makes sense for them to be testing the vehical dynamics with "z28" upgrades. engine, susp, ext ext but we dont even know if the z28 will come out on the zeta platform and i hope it dosnt. i think they have enough sense to give us the z28 on the alpha platfrom and shave some wieght of camaro so we can see the true perfromance of these cars.

fallow the timeline of the first camaro concept to production this thing is still in the very early stages of production... and i got to admit it makes me very ichy!

im saying 2014. which mean i will be done with my payments on the ss and will be able to trade for a z28 at least what im hopping. let the ss have its glory for at least 4 year.
Well the previous spyshots of this car identified it as a 2012 ...
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #217
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock427 View Post

Oh i hear ya man, remember all those other performance cars GM spent all that money on building and testing while coming fresh out of a financial crisis just to say "ohhh ha-ha, sorry folks! we were just imagining! keep dreaming!"
Really? If these pics arent enough to finally convince ANYONE that the Z28 is in fact coming then someone is damn sure doing their job wrong somewhere LOL
Aside from that, what about the timeline of the first Camaro? If im not mistaken the same 302 and well pretty much all performance aspects of the Z/28 were the same from 67' til 69', which for those counting 67' was the first year so i gotta say if you wanna go that route we're actually behind right now LOL, and aside from the Z/28 the 350 was the same, the 396 was the same, the tranny, suspension, wheels, steering...hell what WAS different between any model besides the styling and dimensions??
And to finish, why wouldnt you wanna see it on the Zeta? I mean yeah the Alpha will most likely be better but still, why not have our fun now? If the Z28 will be on the Alpha either way why not have some fun with it now before hand in a supposed "inferior" platform?

Im sorry man, i just dont get anything you just said lol
Personally im getting tired of people's pessimistic attitudes when it comes to this stuff
These are the golden days all over again people! ENJOY IT! Just dont doubt it and doubt it until you've missed it altogether! :-)
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #218
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_Rider View Post
I now work for a supplier company and we had a Z28 in our garage but it had a different back end. The lights in the back were shaped differently. It had other slightly different exterior features. I have some pics on my iPhone. It could have been just a test mule or it could have been a full prototype I don't know.
do share
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #219
CAMARU

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/CGM/6M/Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_Rider View Post
When I used to work for GM at the tech center the term "mule" car refered to a pre-prototype vehicle used for early development. It was not a real prototype but a current model year car that was modified to perform whatever tests were needed. The mule cars always had a hodge-podge of different development parts on them so if this is a mule you cannot tell by looking at it what the prototype much less production car would look like. Using a current model year mule cut down on cost and development timing especially when there was only a limited number of full protypes available to work on.

I now work for a supplier company and we had a Z28 in our garage but it had a different back end. The lights in the back were shaped differently. It had other slightly different exterior features. I have some pics on my iPhone. It could have been just a test mule or it could have been a full prototype I don't know.
I agree with you. There could be a ZR1 engine with a dry sump or just a supercharged LS3. The pictures look like a generic 2ss with different brakes and four tailpipes. I think the finished version will look a lot different and kind of like the difference between the C6 and Z06. I exspect to see wider fenders front and back with wider tires of course. It will be supercharged and have some suspention upgrades for the added HP. Mabe even some carbon fiber components or body parts. All the speculation is making me dizzy. I am so happy with the 2SS I have now that I have no erge to buy a new Z28. Let me know when it's ready.
CAMARU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #220
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
God those brakes are enormous!
Would have liked cross drilled rotors honestly but that is me being greedy.

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
Current Car: 2010 Kona Blue Shelby GT500 M6
Previous Car:
2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Two Back: 2007 Black Shelby GT500 M6
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #221
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSwon View Post
Nice, that's a 2011 with the performance pack. That means no shaker 1000 and it weighs 3750lbs with 550hp.

Lets see, the N/A Camaro SS weighs 3860lbs, add a blower and supporting goodies you're looking at LEAST 4000lbs. It better have more than 556hp if it wants to play with the new 500. That's assuming it comes out next year, because if it doesn't who knows how much power the GT500 will have the year after.
You are discounting any weight savings they implement. You can easily save 50+lbs by eliminating the SS's exhaust cans. I'm sure there are other easy weight savings like that which could negate any weight gains from the blower.

Also the 2011 GT500 weights 3820.

Link: http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2011_GT500_Specs.pdf

So now it is 3820 vs. 3860 + Z 28 mods which could be 200lbs or it could be 100lbs or less if they use more aluminum or some carbon fiber/light weight wheels. I don't know what they will do but the point is the delta will likely not be as big as you think.

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
Current Car: 2010 Kona Blue Shelby GT500 M6
Previous Car:
2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Two Back: 2007 Black Shelby GT500 M6
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #222
CAMARU

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/CGM/6M/Black stripes
Wait, this just in. I heard from a reliable source that the new power plant will contain dilithium crystals and will be able to reach warp drive. It will also have freakin lasers to take out any Mustang Ford can make. I think GM is given her all she's got on this one.
CAMARU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #223
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
What is it with the Checker board on the side skirt. I can't help but wonder if there are some changes to the snort for the z. Any one confirm this? Thank God I waited. I'm buying this freakin car.

I feel like Dirk Diggler in a shoe store.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #224
BigBlock427
ConceptZer0

Drives: 68 427 Camaro, 11 2SS/RS, 13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Oh i hear ya man, remember all those other performance cars GM spent all that money on building and testing while coming fresh out of a financial crisis just to say "ohhh ha-ha, sorry folks! we were just imagining! keep dreaming!"
Really? If these pics arent enough to finally convince ANYONE that the Z28 is in fact coming then someone is damn sure doing their job wrong somewhere LOL
Aside from that, what about the timeline of the first Camaro? If im not mistaken the same 302 and well pretty much all performance aspects of the Z/28 were the same from 67' til 69', which for those counting 67' was the first year so i gotta say if you wanna go that route we're actually behind right now LOL, and aside from the Z/28 the 350 was the same, the 396 was the same, the tranny, suspension, wheels, steering...hell what WAS different between any model besides the styling and dimensions??
And to finish, why wouldnt you wanna see it on the Zeta? I mean yeah the Alpha will most likely be better but still, why not have our fun now? If the Z28 will be on the Alpha either way why not have some fun with it now before hand in a supposed "inferior" platform?

Im sorry man, i just dont get anything you just said lol
Personally im getting tired of people's pessimistic attitudes when it comes to this stuff
These are the golden days all over again people! ENJOY IT! Just dont doubt it and doubt it until you've missed it altogether! :-)

ohh no you got me all wrong! im saying im sure it will come out. i dont think that is even a question anymore... just when ? that what i was trying to break down. im not sure when the z28 will be coming out.

and I rather see it come out on the alpha platform for a few reasons. the most important reason is so the z28 isn't rushed (not saying if it did come out on the current platform that it would be ). the zeta platform is a great design however we have learned allot about what is and what is not working with the design. SO, with that said i think chevy could use all they have learned from the zeta platform and make something just amazing with the new alpha. say that we are all right with what we think the power levels would be. then they blow are minds by dropping like 300lbs out of the car... that would be one serious machine, its not like chevy dosnt know how to make a light car and utilize different materials to make that happen. corvettes carbon package show that they are very good at making existing cars lighter.

and when i said the 1st camaro i was talking about the 5th gen concept development. i agree with you with the whole 1st gen thing considering i own one haha so i more then agree.

imo i just think the z28 will come out on the new platform. i hope it does just because of what i said above. now if they did make it in 2012 or even sooner then yea i agree with you! lets get it ahahah im not against it coming out at all i stay up dreaming of what it will look like how it will drive just like everyone. i was just throwing my hat in the what if ring.

and i dont think the z28 will be the only special camaro... I would love to see a copo with the pumped up ls7 and the handling and breaks form the z28. and if they made a yenko i would prob sell my children to get one. haha

haha so dont be mad at me...haha jk

Last edited by BigBlock427; 08-03-2010 at 10:50 PM.
BigBlock427 is offline   Reply With Quote