Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
Warlace

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
AAC Rear Lighted Bowtie Question

So I ordered a AAC Rear Lighted Bowtie through Southwestspeed, seeing other posts about them and people complimenting on them. While more of my negative energy is directed to AAC right now since Southwestspeed is saying its an all AAC item, I am curious if this is the normal end products from AAC.

I ordered a Red LED Bowtie, with dual intensity circuit, after about 1 1/2 weeks, Southwestspeed notified me that AAC has run low on some parts and it will be delayed. Cool, communication I like that.

Well yesterday evening I received the product on a surprise whim. I quickly opened the box. First, the items in the box were not wrapped or anything. 2 T-taps were floating around the box, the bowtie was upside in its slot. I pulled them out looking for the Dual Intensity Circuit, what do you know, no Circuit. So I pull the foam out, to find a folded up piece of paper, that looked like it was copied off a 1992 Xerox machine. The pictures were dark as night and the letters were blurry. But I did read one part near the bottom that said, "if installing the dual intensity circuit please follow the directions". Well the only other things in the box was a tiny ziplock bac, assume for the T-taps, and a GM Genuine ripped bag, assume for the bowtie. That..is..all.

Question is, is this typical AAC products? Southwestspeed says AAC is horrible with instructions but if you call they can help over the phone. Um how about you just buy a printer in the past 10 years and make it look easier to read and mail, what I assume is 2 instructions? and the packing I have no idea but it didn't look proper. Just like PFYC, which so far is a great company that I have bought products from.

I am hesitant to purchase items from what may not look geniune. I have ordered a Lighted Cupholder from SJM Autoprod, and so far the email chains are nice, although I'm still waiting on something/status after making the payment on Saturday. But this one item from AAC so far seems like it will not be repeated. I could be jumping the gun, but I would assume instructions, packing, and contents would be something that is hard looked at by the QA office, especially for $140.

Sorry for the Rant, I don't normal talk much, but this just really annoyed me, I believe customer service shows the true colors of a company, and again so far Southwestspeed has been great, with a shout out to Christa who I have been emailing back and forth. Just annoyed by AAC.
Warlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
I agree their Bowtie packaging leaves a lot to be desired. If the product is not broke then it is still a good day. They have some really nice packaging for some of their other products. My side markers came in a nice glossy colored box, with their logo etc, and the markers were packed in a special cut foam block that fit the lights perfectly and very easy to read installation instructions on a very easy to read paper, and a nice glossy postcard thing inside. It was packaged up like a iPhone! Top Notch. Too bad you can't say the same about the bowtie though. My bowtie was not perfect the plexi glass was a little uneven but I fixed it up easy enough. I bought their Back up lights too, that packaging for those, is on the same level as the side markers excelent. They are working on their packaging as the go along, from what I understand, the have not been around for a long time to have all this worked out yet, so they work on it as they can. They really are nice guys, and gals and their customer service is great, despite the few negative post's they have a lot of happy customers too. They just passed 40,000 likes on FB, so they are doing something right for a small company that's great. Ivan and Christa and Southwest Speed are great as well, I have purchased from them on multiple occasions as well. In fact I just received my AAC ABL colored foot well lighting and LED conversion kit and the cool white license plate LED's.

EDIT: I was mistaken about their new packaging it looks NICE! They did get to making some better packaging for it. That's just how my side markers arrived. Very nice!

Last edited by SummoneR; 03-15-2012 at 05:20 PM.
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
Warlace

Well, lets hope today I can get some solid information. I try not to be too much of a stickler.

Call me old school, but I always prefer to go to a store and SEE the product I am about to purchase, but unfortunatly in todays society, its all about buying crap online and then figuring out how to fix it instead of going back to the store and do it. I'd love to have a PFYC store in Las Vegas or something to that likes. Im wondering if I can just drive somewhere local and pick up the Dual Circuit and have my E&E buddy install it for me.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
matthook

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 1LT RS
I've heard a lot of negative feedback on AAC with complaint threads on here. But i am still tempted to buy some lighting mods from them because they all look so damn cool

Team LFX Thread Link: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187109
Team LFX Group: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=306
matthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Warlace

Well, yes that is one thing I am upset about. I can post a picture of the instructions tonight when I get home. The pictures are nothing but darkness and the 1992 was a joke about how poor the quality of copies were back then.

I would expect instructions to be clear and understandable not blurry and the 1 sheet I recieved said if I want to install the Dual Intensity Circuit to follow the instructions. But there is no instructions. And no Dual Intensity Circuit. And on Southwestspeed it states that it comes with the DIC.

"THIS ITEM SHIPS FREE! Includes everything you need! OEM Chevy Badge, Clear Acrylic Insert and ORACLE LEDs, all assembled and ready to install! Installation Instructions: 1) Remove Old Badge (detailed in included instructions) 2) Route Wires Through Factory Hole in the Trunklid - (2011 model does not have the factory hole pre-drilled) 3) Remove Self-Adhesive backing and stick to Trunklid 4) Connect Wires to Parking Lights as per Instructions *Dual Intensity Circuit Enables the Badge to operate as BOTH a Running light AND a Brake Light! (Dual Intensity Circuit is included in purchase) NOTE: This item is built-to-order which means there is a processing time of up to 7 days to have your item built and shipped."

Again, IMO who ever inspected the product before sending it out could of made sure it was properly done.

And the link you provided to instructions is what I recieved but blurry and dark. Not clear and colorful. Also again if you look it states to see instructions to install the DIC, again where are those instructions? My product description states that I get a DIC, I am assume that I did not get the instructions because I did not get the DIC?

This all could be some miscommunication between Southwestspeed and AAC. And again, I am a stickler when it comes to online purchases because I can not visual see what I am getting, I am just hoping for what it says.

P.S. my packaging did not look anything like that and I didnt get that snazzy looking card with the Camaro either :-(
Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Warlace

Um, read the description from the website again, I did post it in the previous post.

http://www.southwestspeed.net/index....ts/product/225

Product Overview:
THIS ITEM SHIPS FREE! Includes everything you need! OEM Chevy Badge, Clear Acrylic Insert and ORACLE LEDs, all assembled and ready to install! Installation Instructions: 1) Remove Old Badge (detailed in included instructions) 2) Route Wires Through Factory Hole in the Trunklid - (2011 model does not have the factory hole pre-drilled) 3) Remove Self-Adhesive backing and stick to Trunklid 4) Connect Wires to Parking Lights as per Instructions *Dual Intensity Circuit Enables the Badge to operate as BOTH a Running light AND a Brake Light! (Dual Intensity Circuit is included in purchase) NOTE: This item is built-to-order which means there is a processing time of up to 7 days to have your item built and shipped.

Again, this is from Southwestspeed that I ordered from and Christa says it should of been in the box and she would be contacting you guys to figure it out.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlace View Post
Well, lets hope today I can get some solid information. I try not to be too much of a stickler.

Call me old school, but I always prefer to go to a store and SEE the product I am about to purchase, but unfortunatly in todays society, its all about buying crap online and then figuring out how to fix it instead of going back to the store and do it. I'd love to have a PFYC store in Las Vegas or something to that likes. Im wondering if I can just drive somewhere local and pick up the Dual Circuit and have my E&E buddy install it for me.
Yeah I use to be that way, now I buy almost everything online

Summit Racing is just over the hill from me but it's more for older hot rods,same with Tognotti's.

Yeah AAC is good people like I said they will work with you. You shouldn't be disappointed, just give them a chance before you go off like a lot of other people do.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthook View Post
I've heard a lot of negative feedback on AAC with complaint threads on here. But i am still tempted to buy some lighting mods from them because they all look so damn cool
Don't be fooled by the few post's here that are negative, look for all the good ones too. TONS of those as well. They have a lot of satisfied customers me included. I love their stuff! Saves me from having to do the trial and error of making my own. Plus as I've said before they are all nice and helpful people working there.

Last edited by SummoneR; 03-15-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
SummoneR
Paul

EDIT:

Sounds like you got it figured out with Christa.

Last edited by SummoneR; 03-15-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Warlace

Here is a picture of the box, sent from my wife. Still waiting on the instructions.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Warlace,

Thank you for posting your thoughts on your experience as we work diligently to make sure our customers are happy.

These are the threads that make us better every day.

Like SummonR mentioned, looks like Christa got ya handled and I appreciate your last sentence in your first post. Thank you.

In case you end up getting something that looks less than stellar again when it comes to instructions, Christa is emailing you a copy of what they SHOULD look like and I'll post up instructions here as well.

Hope this can help remedy the situation a little for ya.

If you need anything don't hesitate to give any of us at Southwest Speed a call. We're actually here to help!!

Sincerely,
Ivan Price

Bowtie Installation Instructions:

Remove the Existing Emblem:

- Heat the area with a hairdryer until the emblem and decklid are hot to the touch.
- Using fishing line start moving with a flossing action from tip to tip.
- Remove residue with WD-40, Goo-Gone, or a Rubber Wheel.
- Wipe the now clean area with alcohol to remove residue and prepare the surface.
1) Install the LED Emblem:
- Route the power wire through the existing deck lid hole and feed excess through.
- Remove the adhesive backing and line the bowtie up using the holes for reference.
- Press the wing to the trunk lid surface for 10-15 seconds to insure a proper bond.
2) Wire the LED Emblem to your Vehicle:
- Remove the inner trunk lid liner, there are 10 clips holding it in place.
- Remove the tail light cavity cover (3 Clips).
- Now route the wire through the trunk lid and into the tail light cavity.
- Unplug the taillight and take note of the wiring going into the Taillight Plug.

BROWN/WHITE…… = Parking Light
BLACK (SOLID)…… = Shared Ground
GREEN/WHITE…… = Brake Light

- If you Plan to install the Dual Intensity Circuit Please refer to the instructions in
order to connect the unit to function as both Brake Light and Parking Light.
- Turn On your Vehicles Headlights and Check to be sure the unit Illuminates.
- Reinstall Your Panels Using the Factory Clips and Plug the Taillight Back In.
- For any Technical Assistance Please Call AAC at 1(800)407-5776
Attached Images

Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
SummoneR
Paul

Old 10-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
mygen5

Drives: 2011 ss/rs
Amazed at how many of you are paying Oracle and AAC for the fancy packaging when you could have a good acrylic shop cut you a bowtie out and then add a recessed slot to lay A STRIP OF RGB lights into the recess and reattach your current Bowtie. attach your wires to the RGBA STRIP AND RUN THEM TO YOUR LIGHT MODULE.if you install a night owl system this would be a piece of cake. your paying them to but a whole new bowtie when you should be able to just buy the Acrylic piece. RIP OFF why buy something you already have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck
mygen5 is offline   Reply With Quote