Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
RayYork
LordVader

Drives: 2011 RS 2SS 99 BMW 328i 96 K1500
Sticking Brakes? Warping rotors?

Does anyone else's brakes stick after washing your car? If I wash my car then park if for the night, the next morning, my rear brakes are frozen. One quick release of the clutch and they pop loose. Anyone else experience this?

Also, but likely unrelated, I replaced my stock front Brembo's (rotors and pads) a while back and in short order (~5,000 miles) they were warped. The dealer replaced them with a warranty set and now that set is warped, also in about the same range of miles. My first set lasted ~60,000 miles without warping but now two sets in a row are failing very early on. Is there a break-in process that I missed? Any ideas?

RayYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Mobyd

Drives: 2010 White 2SS/RS,01 F150 SuperCrew
i dont know the answer but have a question..how do you notice that brakes are warped? do they make noises or you cant drive or somthing? i got stock brembo brakes and wonder how do i know if they are warped?
Old 10-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
Mobyd

Drives: 2010 White 2SS/RS,01 F150 SuperCrew
BREMBO CALLS CAMARO "SUPER SPORTS CAR" ON ITS WEBSITE !! feel good thing
http://www.brembo.com/en/car/origina...Camaro-SS.aspx

"This Super sports car is equipped with 4-piston aluminium composite calipers and 355 and 365 millimetre front and rear discs. The car's efficiency has been enhanced by the use of lighter weight aluminium calipers and the design of the brake discs that improves the cooling and crack resistance of the braking surface"
Old 10-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Yep, mine stick every single time I wash it and let it sit overnight. My V6 did the same thing, too. And it would even grind a little bit for the first 50 yards or so of travel. So I'd definitely say what you're experiencing is perfectly normal.

No clue about that warping thing, though. I'm curious what the other members have to say about that...
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
RayYork
LordVader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobyd View Post
i dont know the answer but have a question..how do you notice that brakes are warped? do they make noises or you cant drive or somthing? i got stock brembo brakes and wonder how do i know if they are warped?
I feel a wobble or shaking when breaking. I can tell it's the fronts because I feel it in the steering wheel

Old 10-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
RayYork
LordVader

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post
Yep, mine stick every single time I wash it and let it sit overnight. My V6 did the same thing, too. And it would even grind a little bit for the first 50 yards or so of travel. So I'd definitely say what you're experiencing is perfectly normal.

No clue about that warping thing, though. I'm curious what the other members have to say about that...
What a weird thing........

Old 10-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
Ishin

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT RS
My wife's car (300C) had the whole shaking thing going on, but it only happened when she braked. So damn annoying I bought performance rotors for her car because of how heavy it was and figured you get what you pay for.
Ishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
mat300z
Emerald Coast Camaro's

Drives: 2014 ZL1
My SS sticks every now and then. As soon as I put it in reverse you can hear the rear brakes pop. It seems like the parking brake sticks after it is released.
mat300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Mine stuck so badly once we had a hard time getting the car to move after a wash. You have to drive the car a little after you finish washing & drying & apply hte barkes several times to dry them out. The one time I had trouble I was exhausted & let hubby finish up my Camaro & he did not drive it after Grrrrrrrrrrrr!
Old 10-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #10
sloSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS LS3
It's rust on the rotors which forms after washing, normal.
Mine does it 100% of the time if I wash the car and don't drive it until the next day.
Brembo's have very high quality iron rotors which are subject to rust.
Brake rotors on typical non-performance oriented new cars use a metal that is less susceptible to rust.
Next time you wash and park, look at the brake rotors prior to driving the next morning. Just one or two stops in the morning and the brake pads remove rust from rotors.
sloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
backbaconrules

Drives: 2011 LT Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayYork View Post
I feel a wobble or shaking when breaking. I can tell it's the fronts because I feel it in the steering wheel
That is usually a sign that you have a warped rotor.
backbaconrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
I take mine for quick trip around the block after washing to clean the rotors before the rust sets in.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Mine sticks also. Our Camry had the same shaking in the steering wheel when braking and the rotors were a bit warped.We had them turned and new pads was all and they are fine. Freinds SS has same symptoms as well
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayYork View Post
Does anyone else's brakes stick after washing your car? If I wash my car then park if for the night, the next morning, my rear brakes are frozen. One quick release of the clutch and they pop loose. Anyone else experience this?

Also, but likely unrelated, I replaced my stock front Brembo's (rotors and pads) a while back and in short order (~5,000 miles) they were warped. The dealer replaced them with a warranty set and now that set is warped, also in about the same range of miles. My first set lasted ~60,000 miles without warping but now two sets in a row are failing very early on. Is there a break-in process that I missed? Any ideas?
is the Dealer using OEM parts?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote