Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
Fluidampr vs Powerbond UD Ballancer

First, when you shop for a Powerbond pulley, you're sent to slponline's site. Is Powerbond owned by SLP?

I like the theory behind Fluidampr's harmonic balancer, but it cost +$100 more than Powerbond's UDP. Would the casual weekend racer with no immediate plans for a cam need something like Fluidampr's offering?

rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '88 IROC vert
Been wondering the same...

DroptopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
detroitspeed

Drives: 1969, 70, 2010, and 2012 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post
First, when you shop for a Powerbond pulley, you're sent to slponline's site. Is Powerbond owned by SLP?

I like the theory behind Fluidampr's harmonic balancer, but it cost +$100 more than Powerbond's UDP. Would the casual weekend racer with no immediate plans for a cam need something like Fluidampr's offering?
Fluidampr is the best protection you can buy for your engine whether it's a daily driver or a track car. A viscous damper is far superior to any rubber damper especially if you start making performance improvements to your engine. It will free up horsepower and increase the longevity of your rotating assembly and valvetrain be reducing harmful torsional vibrations from your engine. It is worth the extra cost in the long run to protect your engine.
detroitspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:37 PM   #4
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitspeed View Post
Fluidampr is the best protection you can buy for your engine whether it's a daily driver or a track car. A viscous damper is far superior to any rubber damper especially if you start making performance improvements to your engine. It will free up horsepower and increase the longevity of your rotating assembly and valvetrain be reducing harmful torsional vibrations from your engine. It is worth the extra cost in the long run to protect your engine.
How would you say it compares to ATI?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:38 AM   #5
rich3fan
What's this button do?

ATI?

Hmmm... more investigation needed.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
detroitspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
How would you say it compares to ATI?
ATI is a rubber damper however it has multiple rubber rings to help control different orders of vibration. The OEM damper has one rubber ring to help control the worst order of harmonics for the entire RPM range. A Fluidampr is frequency insensitive because of the inertia ring shearing through the viscous fluid, meaning it will control all orders of vibration for the entire RPM range.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitspeed View Post
ATI is a rubber damper however it has multiple rubber rings to help control different orders of vibration. The OEM damper has one rubber ring to help control the worst order of harmonics for the entire RPM range. A Fluidampr is frequency insensitive because of the inertia ring shearing through the viscous fluid, meaning it will control all orders of vibration for the entire RPM range.
Quality wise they are equivalent? Just curious because I feel like ATI has a pretty large following as well. Also I believe ATI offers one in aluminum where as fluidampr is steel...but ATI only has a 12% under drive as well so while it may be splitting hairs I am just curious which would be best.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #8
Ryne @ CMS

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 06 C6 Z06, 15 Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Quality wise they are equivalent? Just curious because I feel like ATI has a pretty large following as well. Also I believe ATI offers one in aluminum where as fluidampr is steel...but ATI only has a 12% under drive as well so while it may be splitting hairs I am just curious which would be best.
I guess because i have more experience with ATI products that i tend to lean towards ati over a fluidamper, that being said i have used a few fluidampers on 2010+ camaro and other lsx engines with success... To note the powerbond damper does little for harmonic damping, and in some higher hp applications have seen the timing break and/or it rattle the cam sprocket bolts out the the cam...
Ryne @ CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #9
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS View Post
I guess because i have more experience with ATI products that i tend to lean towards ati over a fluidamper, that being said i have used a few fluidampers on 2010+ camaro and other lsx engines with success... To note the powerbond damper does little for harmonic damping, and in some higher hp applications have seen the timing break and/or it rattle the cam sprocket bolts out the the cam...
Can you touch on the weight in material vs underdamping for best performance improvement?
Old 06-13-2014, 12:17 AM   #10
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Saw this thread and search online and scored a new Fluidampr 760121 got $239 to my door. Buyer bought for a GM Crate LS3 but has Corvette accessories so it would not fit and couldnt return it as it was over 30 days
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #11
detroitspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
Saw this thread and search online and scored a new Fluidampr 760121 got $239 to my door. Buyer bought for a GM Crate LS3 but has Corvette accessories so it would not fit and couldnt return it as it was over 30 days
ATI is a bigger company as they can do more advertising however Fluidampr only designs and builds viscous dampers for the OEM and aftermarket so they are 100% focused on damper technology. ATI has a good product however they also offer a lot of other products. The Fluidampr housing is steel however the pulley is aluminum to help with some of the rotating mass. Dampers are heavy for a reason otherwise they won't be able to control torsional vibration. Fluidampr is the best damper investment you can make for your engine.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:35 PM   #12
rich3fan
What's this button do?

I've been told that Fluidampr and ATI ballancers will need to be rebuilt at some point in their lifetime, and I assume when this occurs is dependent on the application. I'm wondering what component or components wear out or degrade that necessitates this?

Old 06-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #13
detroitspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post
I've been told that Fluidampr and ATI ballancers will need to be rebuilt at some point in their lifetime, and I assume when this occurs is dependent on the application. I'm wondering what component or components wear out or degrade that necessitates this?
ATI dampers need to be rebuilt eventually because of the rubber O-rings. They will deteriorate over time as well as how hard they are worked depending on the application. The rubber will crack and dry rot just like an old tire eventually.

Fluidampr has no rubber component and the viscous fluid will not deteriorate or weaken over time or use for as long as you have your engine. Therefore there is no reason to rebuild them.