Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
frank99ta

Drives: Trans Am
Cancelled my order.. Disappointed

I'm a die hard chevy guy, and I've had more f-bodies than I can count. I pre ordered back on the very first day and I have been anxiously waiting for the car. I finally got to check one out and take it for a quick drive last Friday. All I can say, is that I'm disappointed with the car. I've had 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen. camaros and the 5th gen has nothing in common with any of the previous ones. The only thing they have in common is the name. Understand that my daily driver is a c6 so maybe I had a high expectation. Overall, the exterior was very nice. The paint, structure and gaps looked very good. The trunk opening is a joke. The trunk itself is big, but its not gonna do you any good if you can't get anything it. So, I open the car and sit in the seat. I've read a lot about how comfortable the seats are, and I would say that they are not that comfortable. They are OK. The seats in my vette were a lot more comfortable. The dash was a lot of hard cheap plastic. I'm use to driving these cars and I really didn't expect a leather wrapped dash but it just looks cheap along with the climate controls. The power door lock is in the center of the dash, and the trunk release is on the bottom of the driver's door panel? Who thought of that? The idea of not being able to replace the radio because its incorporated in the dash is a problem as well. I just didn't like the layout of the gauges either. The car just didn't feel right to me, and for $34,180, I thought the car was overpriced and not worth the money. The final part that did it for me was the visibility out the front windshield. The front windshield is very short and it was difficult to see out of. I had to put the seat all the way up to where I felt comfortable and my head was almost touching the roof. It just sits very low. From a power stand point, the car felt fast, but I really didn't get a chance to get on it. With the ls3, I'm sure its gonna fly. The powertrain is the saving grace of this car. Sorry guys, but I was just disappointed with the final product. Compared to the corvette, there isn't a comparison. For those on the fence about buying a corvette, I would say, definitely buy the vette. There is a lot more car for the money in the vette.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
426 hp for 31k overpriced?????

have fun with the vette
Old 05-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
Wow Good review at least your honest. I agree with you friend hence my new avatar. That seems to be the problem with the defenders of the Camaro 426HP seems to be your answer for everything but the reality is alot of people look at the whole package and then decide if they can live with it not just the HP
Old 05-02-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
You could have had the entire dash customized with the finest leather available and done a bunch of mods for the 15K difference to a base Z06. I agree the Vette is nice but its not a fair comparison. What car manufactured today for 35K can you compare to a Vette. I cant think of a single one. GM has done good things for a Vette and good things for a Camaro. Oh maybe go check out a ZR1 and see how your current Vette compares to that. Not a fair comparison is it? Thanks for the opinion though. If we all agreed it would not be any fun.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
Old 05-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
bob2the2nd

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
um... this car was not meant to compare to a vette, it is not a vette, GM doesnt want it to be a vette, and they dont want to take away sales from the vette. the two cars arent event even remotely in the same price range unless you get a 2ss/rs with a ton of options.

All of that said, of course the seats are more comfortable in your vette, but the seats arent uncomfortable by any stretch. I sat in one on friday and i was blown away by how comfortable it was and it had cloth seats.

as has been said before the controls are polarizing some people love them some people hate them, personally i can see going back and forth for as long as I have the car. right now i LOVE the look of them, but 3 months ago i didnt. its a personal preference all the way. though when everything is lit up WOW, thats what sells the interior to me. I will almost never do night driving with the car but holy crap i will make excuses to the first several months i have my car.

all of that said obviously you have your own opinion but you still need to remember that this car is NOT a vette and was not designed to compete with one. GM doesnt want that to happen.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
ArcAngel

he has a C6 not ZO6. besides for what they are selling vettes at now its almost the same price so you have to consider
Old 05-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Arc are you stirring the pot again....lol What up man? You watch the race tonight?
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
Old 05-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank99ta View Post
I'm a die hard chevy guy, and I've had more f-bodies than I can count. I pre ordered back on the very first day and I have been anxiously waiting for the car. I finally got to check one out and take it for a quick drive last Friday. All I can say, is that I'm disappointed with the car. I've had 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen. camaros and the 5th gen has nothing in common with any of the previous ones. The only thing they have in common is the name. Understand that my daily driver is a c6 so maybe I had a high expectation. Overall, the exterior was very nice. The paint, structure and gaps looked very good. The trunk opening is a joke. The trunk itself is big, but its not gonna do you any good if you can't get anything it. So, I open the car and sit in the seat. I've read a lot about how comfortable the seats are, and I would say that they are not that comfortable. They are OK. The seats in my vette were a lot more comfortable. The dash was a lot of hard cheap plastic. I'm use to driving these cars and I really didn't expect a leather wrapped dash but it just looks cheap along with the climate controls. The power door lock is in the center of the dash, and the trunk release is on the bottom of the driver's door panel? Who thought of that? The idea of not being able to replace the radio because its incorporated in the dash is a problem as well. I just didn't like the layout of the gauges either. The car just didn't feel right to me, and for $34,180, I thought the car was overpriced and not worth the money. The final part that did it for me was the visibility out the front windshield. The front windshield is very short and it was difficult to see out of. I had to put the seat all the way up to where I felt comfortable and my head was almost touching the roof. It just sits very low. From a power stand point, the car felt fast, but I really didn't get a chance to get on it. With the ls3, I'm sure its gonna fly. The powertrain is the saving grace of this car. Sorry guys, but I was just disappointed with the final product. Compared to the corvette, there isn't a comparison. For those on the fence about buying a corvette, I would say, definitely buy the vette. There is a lot more car for the money in the vette.
I have to disagree with comparing it to a car starting $15K more. I think the interior is comparable to other cars in this price range. For $2,000-$4,000.00 I can make this car look way better than cars costing twice what this car cost.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #9
ArcAngel

the interior is in no way comparable to the interior of cars in that price range, especially if you leave the category of car out of the equation
Old 05-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingincamaro View Post
426 hp for 31k overpriced?????

have fun with the vette
yeah, hes right...430hp for 46k is better. havent you heard?!
Old 05-02-2009, 10:53 PM   #11
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
Wow Good review at least your honest. I agree with you friend hence my new avatar. That seems to be the problem with the defenders of the Camaro 426HP seems to be your answer for everything but the reality is alot of people look at the whole package and then decide if they can live with it not just the HP
Here we go again

Go over to the Mustang forum and spew that crap. Maybe we do not defend, maybe we just like it better than the Mustang. Their is more opinions other than yours! I personally hate all that fake brushed metal crap and the ugly square dash with those two stupid overhangs on both sides. The dash doesn't even wrap around the doors to look like a cockpit.........Mustang's interior is better my A$$
Old 05-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #12
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
the interior is in no way comparable to the interior of cars in that price range, especially if you leave the category of car out of the equation
I disagree...sorry. To each his own.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
Here we go again

Go over to the Mustang forum and spew that crap. Maybe we do not defend, maybe we just like it better than the Mustang. Their is more opinions other than yours! I personally hate all that fake brushed metal crap and the ugly square dash with those two stupid overhangs on both sides. The dash doesn't even wrap around the doors to look like a cockpit.........Mustang's interior is better my A$$
haha
+4
Old 05-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #14
ArcAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
Here we go again

I wasnt talking about the Mustang you said that for the PRICE the interior is comparable. For a Car at 35,OOO the interior is lacking. Shit you can get an AUDI A4 with an interior that kills the Camaro. Now we are talking interior right, because that was the guys hang up. thats why I made the comment about HP. the problem with you guys is you respond with an answer that had nothing to do with the guys dislikes. He says interior was poor for him and trunk was small. All you guys can say is HP HP HP!!! My point is some people buy cars for more than just HP