Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
V6 Coupe Comparo Accord vs Camaro

Based on what's known about the Accord 271HP V6 coupe and the 304HP Camaro - Which is faster: 0-60 and 1/4 and who gets better fuel mileage?? And how does MSRP compare?

I'm just trying to size up where the V6 Camaro will slot with car's it competes against
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Beau Tie

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2007 Camry
Send a message via AIM to Beau Tie
They don't compare.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
accross the board the camaro is better equiped and the honda starts at 28k, and goes up to 31k if you want navigation. the honda will get worse gas mileage and only does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds which is awfull
Old 10-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
I'm coming from a 2004 V6 6MT Accord Coupe to a Camaro (INFERNO ORANGE, BABY). It depends on what you want - I have 70k miles and no problems at all, and I've loved the car - but I'm just so bored of it.

Quote:
and only does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds which is awfull
I'm assuming he means the 6MT which actually does it in less than 6 seconds - C&D's number was 5.6 which is faster than the Camaro V6. Even mine does it in 5.9, according to them. I think real world mileage on the Accord will be better - I get 31 highway/24 - 26 mixed when it's rated at like 29/23 and that's consistent; the new one apparently says 25 mpg highway but I think it would be more closer to 27 highway/22 mixed?

Handling wise - TOO MUCH TORQUE STEER WITH ALL THAT POWER GOING THROUGH THE FRONT WHEELS. It has decently good handling (poise, body roll). I honestly don't think this is a whole lot more improved on the new Accord Coupe. The weight distribution is also a dismal 62/38 i think.

I was always an import guy (reliability, practical, good mileage). But I have to say, they are too conservatively styled cars to look at and drive and be happy with for like 8 years. The specs on the Camaro impressed me so much that I might say even say "screw it" to gas mileage and get the V8.

Depending on what you want out of the car:

Camaro > Accord Coupe
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
I'm coming from a 2004 V6 6MT Accord Coupe to a Camaro (INFERNO ORANGE, BABY). It depends on what you want - I have 70k miles and no problems at all, and I've loved the car - but I'm just so bored of it.

I'm assuming he means the 6MT which actually does it in less than 6 seconds - C&D's number was 5.6 which is faster than the Camaro V6. Even mine does it in 5.9, according to them. I think real world mileage on the Accord will be better - I get 31 highway/24 - 26 mixed when it's rated at like 29/23 and that's consistent; the new one apparently says 25 mpg highway but I think it would be more closer to 27 highway/22 mixed?

Handling wise - TOO MUCH TORQUE STEER WITH ALL THAT POWER GOING THROUGH THE FRONT WHEELS. It has decently good handling (poise, body roll). I honestly don't think this is a whole lot more improved on the new Accord Coupe. The weight distribution is also a dismal 62/38 i think.

I was always an import guy (reliability, practical, good mileage). But I have to say, they are too conservatively styled cars to look at and drive and be happy with for like 8 years. The specs on the Camaro impressed me so much that I might say even say "screw it" to gas mileage and get the V8.

Depending on what you want out of the car:

Camaro > Accord Coupe

that time i read was on edmonds
Old 10-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Tie View Post
They don't compare.

+1
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
Based on what's known about the Accord 271HP V6 coupe and the 304HP Camaro - Which is faster: 0-60 and 1/4 and who gets better fuel mileage?? And how does MSRP compare?

I'm just trying to size up where the V6 Camaro will slot with car's it competes against
Generally speaking (there are several notable exceptions), front wheel drive performance is an oxymoron.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
If you can't slide the arse end out what fun is it to have?

I have a V6 2006 Accord. While is is solid car it has gotten very boring. And everybody and their brother seems to have an Accord Coupe now. I am not getting the V6 but going V8 Rally Yellow. Won't see many of these around in my neck of the woods.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
We have known track times of the 2008 Accord v6 getting low-mid 14's in the 1/4 mile. From what I've seen the Camaro will be right in that ball park. EPA estimates on the 2008 Accord v6 auto are 19 city / 29 highway which is slightly better then the numbers I've seen for the Camaro. As for price, the Base Accord v6 comes in at about $26.5k which is about $4k more then the Camaro. And even though Domestic companies have been getting better at it lately, I'd still give the build quality and reliability score to the Accord.

I don't think these cars will be direct competitors, since the Accord is basically a family sedan and the Camaro is a sport coupe. However that doesn't mean they won't meet on the road

PS. Wow, I just noticed there's a quite a few accord owners on here getting the new Camaro or thinking of getting it.

Last edited by chappy48; 10-27-2008 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Observation
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy48 View Post
We have known track times of the 2008 Accord v6 getting low-mid 14's in the 1/4 mile. From what I've seen the Camaro will be right in that ball park. EPA estimates on the 2008 Accord v6 auto are 19 city / 29 highway which is slightly better then the numbers I've seen for the Camaro. As for price, the Base Accord v6 comes in at about $26.5k which is about $4k more then the Camaro. And even though Domestic companies have been getting better at it lately, I'd still give the build quality and reliability score to the Accord.

I don't think these cars will be direct competitors, since the Accord is basically a family sedan and the Camaro is a sport coupe. However that doesn't mean they won't meet on the road

PS. Wow, I just noticed there's a quite a few accord owners on here getting the new Camaro or thinking of getting it.
reliability is an unknown for any new car, but the Camaro is being build at one of the best facilities in the world for initial quality, let alone North America. If you meant materials and design, then things become more subjective.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:

OK: Why are you trying to compare the Camaro LT to the Honda Accord. Coup vs 4 door. Sport car vs sedan. quality vs well over the top. Guy w/ girl friend or new married couple vs family guy that needs 4 doors.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #12
jimbo57

Drives: 2010 SS, '06 EQUINOX, 72 MONTE
the honda looks like every other car on the road...no offense
jimbo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #13
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
I started this thread as a co-worker and I have been going back and forth. He just bought a new 2009 V6 Accord EX-L w/leather and Nav for just at $29K (they are discounting the Accord here in St Louis) and he looked at my order for a 2LT/RS w MX0 for just over $30 then started in on me.

His point was why was I buying another "rear drive" sports coupe when I already have a Corvette. He makes a good point since the Camaro will be my daily driver. But that got me to think about FWD vs RWD in bad weather, then that got me thinking about what the "real world performance" difference is out on public streets (not a race track). And his logic starts making sense.

Oh well that's why we ask questions - to learn.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:04 PM   #14
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Quote:
I started this thread as a co-worker and I have been going back and forth. He just bought a new 2009 V6 Accord EX-L w/leather and Nav for just at $29K (they are discounting the Accord here in St Louis) and he looked at my order for a 2LT/RS w MX0 for just over $30 then started in on me.

His point was why was I buying another "rear drive" sports coupe when I already have a Corvette. He makes a good point since the Camaro will be my daily driver. But that got me to think about FWD vs RWD in bad weather, then that got me thinking about what the "real world performance" difference is out on public streets (not a race track). And his logic starts making sense.

Oh well that's why we ask questions - to learn.
Tell your Co-Worker to shut up. If we all drove Accords this world would blow. RWD pushes you, FWD pulls you. In bad weather adjust accordingly. And I want pics of your Corvette or you're lying. No Corvette owner would even entertain a question like that from an "Accord" owner....please!
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote