Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 03:46 AM   #1
diV6

Drives: 94 camaro z28
Camaro in Motortrend's 2009 driver's car competition.

http://www.motortrend.com/av/feature...lap/index.html

Only partial vid clips now. Full results on the 19th. The driver appeared to like the gt500 better. However, the ss did get a better lap time than the bmw 1 series. Also, a vid of the cts-v.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:00 AM   #2
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Notice how they ask him.."You just drove the Gt500, how did this perform against it?? .. Then he lambasts the Camaro and says "The Mustang is better" and so forth.. He is comparing it to the GT500 yet he doesn't say GT500 a single time, only Mustang.. Motortrend never wants to compare the Camaro SS with its true competitor, the Mustang GT because they know the Camaro will always win in all areas without the track pack.. Then if you add the track pack, the Mustang is slow in comparison but these drivers would still say it feels better.. Ahh well, I say who cares what these rags think anyways.

It is the equivalent of this guy getting out of an aston martin and then test driving the ZR1 and saying that he would rather drive that all day long around a track because it just feels better..lol..
Old 08-17-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
diV6

Drives: 94 camaro z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Notice how they ask him.."You just drove the Gt500, how did this perform against it?? .. Then he lambasts the Camaro and says "The Mustang is better" and so forth.. He is comparing it to the GT500 yet he doesn't say GT500 a single time, only Mustang.. Motortrend never wants to compare the Camaro SS with its true competitor, the Mustang GT because they know the Camaro will always win in all areas without the track pack.. Then if you add the track pack, the Mustang is slow in comparison but these drivers would still say it feels better.. Ahh well, I say who cares what these rags think anyways.

It is the equivalent of this guy getting out of an aston martin and then test driving the ZR1 and saying that he would rather drive that all day long around a track because it just feels better..lol..
The guy who asked the question, making it clear that the mustang was a gt500 was a motortrend guy. The driver was a person they hired for this story. Motortrend said the camaro was the best out of the gt, rt, and ss. They even had a drag race where the ss almost kept up with the gt500, and they admitted it wasnt a fair race for the ss. Motortrend is one of the most pro camaro magazine out there. The driver they hired didnt make his comparison clear though is the problem.

They also tested the gt i think, so it will be interesting to see the lap time and compare.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by diV6 View Post
The guy who asked the question, making it clear that the mustang was a gt500 was a motortrend guy. The driver was a person they hired for this story. Motortrend said the camaro was the best out of the gt, rt, and ss. They even had a drag race where the ss almost kept up with the gt500, and they admitted it wasnt a fair race for the ss. Motortrend is one of the most pro camaro magazine out there. The driver they hired didnt make his comparison clear though is the problem.

They also tested the gt i think, so it will be interesting to see the lap time and compare.
QFT.

of all of the major auto rags....Automobile, Motor Trend, Car and Driver, and Road and Track......MT is easily the most Camaro-friendly. If you don't like what MT has to say about the Camaro vs Mustang saga it wont get any better.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Ahh well, I say who cares what these rags think anyways.

I tend to equate these magazines to movie critics. I hardly ever agree with what they have to say. They're simply making a story to justify their existence.

There's a reason I don't buy any of them. I mean, I'll read what they have to say online, but I'd rather spend $20 on toilet paper.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
qdz21

Drives: Black 02 Z28 Vert Sold
the September edition of Automobile Magazine has a pretty interesting write comparing the SS to the Stang GT with track pack running hot laps on a road course. you can probably find it on their site or somewhere online. personally I bought the magazine too keep to let all my buddies that say the mustang is better on road courses read the facts for themselves. Great Comparison and Write Up!!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
DeathChill

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Just curious what the results actually were for the road course. Post 'em?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChill View Post
Just curious what the results actually were for the road course. Post 'em?
I don't recall the times in that article, but I'm pretty certain the Camaro beat the GT by around .7 of a second.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #9
Croatcamaro2010

Drives: '10 Camaro RS 1LT
i wonder what my lil 6 banger will do against a gt, new ones i think will smoke me, but the older gt's i think i can take
Old 08-18-2009, 01:15 AM   #10
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
I think the driver gave the car an accurate assessment. We've been hearing that the Camaro SS pushes and its setup may be on the conservative side since the first road tests. Performance cars are rarely perfect in their first year and if you think back to improvements made on the 2006 Z06, 1997 C5 and early F-bodies this shouldn't be surprising. The Camaro while technically being a Zeta its suspension geometry and setup have some substantial changes from the G8, Commodore and the Holdens. So in many ways it's new and will need to further be refined. Just like the driver I see lots of potential.

The 2010 Mustang GT and GT500 have been improved quite a bit since the nearly the same 2005/06 MY. It was hard to tell back then because there wasn't any real competition but they have refined their solid axle set up to new highs and it shows from the results.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
Old 08-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #11
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
I think the driver gave the car an accurate assessment. We've been hearing that the Camaro SS pushes and its setup may be on the conservative side since the first road tests. Performance cars are rarely perfect in their first year and if you think back to improvements made on the 2006 Z06, 1997 C5 and early F-bodies this shouldn't be surprising. The Camaro while technically being a Zeta its suspension geometry and setup have some substantial changes from the G8, Commodore and the Holdens. So in many ways it's new and will need to further be refined. Just like the driver I see lots of potential.

The 2010 Mustang GT and GT500 have been improved quite a bit since the nearly the same 2005/06 MY. It was hard to tell back then because there wasn't any real competition but they have refined their solid axle set up to new highs and it shows from the results.
This
Old 08-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
qdz21

Drives: Black 02 Z28 Vert Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
I don't recall the times in that article, but I'm pretty certain the Camaro beat the GT by around .7 of a second.
garagelogic is correct. the camaro had the fastest lap of 1:40.0 compared to the mustangs 1:40.07 which we all know isn't anytype of lead, but my point is the camaro beat the mustang in it's own race. I'm not trying to start any major arguments, just tired of hearing the camaro would not hang with the mustang/track pack on a windy road. The article goes into great detail.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #13
Kurt_OH

Drives: BMW, Hyundai
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdz21 View Post
garagelogic is correct. the camaro had the fastest lap of 1:40.0 compared to the mustangs 1:40.07 which we all know isn't anytype of lead, but my point is the camaro beat the mustang in it's own race. I'm not trying to start any major arguments, just tired of hearing the camaro would not hang with the mustang/track pack on a windy road. The article goes into great detail.
When I see that 0.7 sec, I think: "Camaro has VASTLY inferior handling, and enough power to overcome that deficit".

Too bad. They made the rear end handle great, but left the front a mess. I wonder how hard it'll be to balance it out and get that front end gripping? Will we have to have a super-hard ride to do it? Or will just lowering an inch or two, along with slightly stiffer springs and a fat sway bar, do the trick?
Old 08-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #14
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdz21 View Post
The guy above got it right. Reasonably similar cars in the same segment and the difference on the racetrack is less than a second despite more than a 100hp advantage for the Camaro? The difference in mid range torque should have the Camaro absolutely running off and hiding from the Mustang. Reality? Camaro is running away on the straights and the Mustang is absolutely up the Chevy's backside in every corner. The Camaro SS should have an easy two or three second lead on the Mustang at least, and it just doesn't.

Yeah, this comparo proves it, handling is not on the same level between these two.

Closed Thread