Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
lyjo

Drives: 2SS - RS - M6
Clutch sticks on the Floor

2010 (apr 7 build) - I've had the clutch stick on the floor several times now on hard launches.. usually 2nd gear.. now on First.. cant learn to love that burnt clutch smell..

Does anyone know if the dealer will fix and what will they do to fix?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
robsls3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro 1SS
Yep get it to them fast. Just hope it does it when they get it. Mine stuck 4 times but not when the dealer had it. So they didnt fix anything. I said screw it and repalced the whole darn thing on my own.

I know people that had all replaced under warranty and still have the issue.
robsls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Its a known problem. You should take it in and get the problem on record. They may not do anything since they probably won't be able to reproduce the problem, but the next time you bring it in (for the same issue) they should start replacing parts.

How many miles on the car? You might ask them to flush and refill with new fluid if its dirty.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
THIS IS A KNOWN ISSUE.
Please do a search and you will find a lot on this. It's tough because it never happens when you bring it to the dealer, so they can't do shit. They usually just pull a TSB about how you misused the launch control feature.

Early build 2011 Mustang GTs had the exact same issue and Ford did a recall. The problem is basically a centrifugal force issue. The high RPMs will, in some circumstances, prevent the clutch from disengaging fast enough which causes the a clutch slippage, and the stink. Why Ford can find and fix the issue and GM plays dumb is beyond me.

Happend to me once, never again (although I have taken it easy since).

Here is Ford's response to the issue:
"Some 2011 Mustangs built on or before 4/25/2010 with a manual transmission and low mileage, typically 10,000 miles or less (16, 093 Km), may exhibit a clutch pedal Stayout condition at very high RPM. This condition will generate a concern of the clutch pedal remaining on the floor during high RPM shifts. When engine RPM drops, clutch pedal operation returns to normal, but the re-engagement may be abrupt." http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2010/0...11-mustang-gt/

...Sound familiar? Maybe Ford can do a recall on my Camaro.

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Scrapppy666

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLarry View Post
THIS IS A KNOWN ISSUE.

Here is Ford's response to the issue:
"Some 2011 Mustangs built on or before 4/25/2010 with a manual transmission and low mileage, typically 10,000 miles or less (16, 093 Km), may exhibit a clutch pedal Stayout condition at very high RPM. This condition will generate a concern of the clutch pedal remaining on the floor during high RPM shifts. When engine RPM drops, clutch pedal operation returns to normal, but the re-engagement may be abrupt." http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2010/0...11-mustang-gt/

...Sound familiar? Maybe Ford can do a recall on my Camaro.

Now I'm sure someone at GM is aware of this... why wouldn't they follow suit and do something about it like Ford has? It's times like this when I question my loyalty to GM.

Pittsburgh Automotive Photography
Black on Black 2SS/RS w/ white stripes Dynomax 3" Bullet Catback, CAI Cold Air Intake
Scrapppy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
Had it happen to me twice, once on the street once on the strip between 1st and 2nd, I'm blown so I'm not worried about warranty replacement, 'cause that is gone. What I have done is make sure at the strip, I don't use launch control or traction control. Also weekly, as was suggested by a 'vette guy, I pull the fluids from the brake reservoir (I use a turkey baster or siphon out with clean tube) and refill. I think you'll be surprised in the color difference and "stuff" in there.
K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
GSUNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
Skyblu

Drives: 2010 Aqua blue 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyjo View Post
2010 (apr 7 build) - I've had the clutch stick on the floor several times now on hard launches.. usually 2nd gear.. now on First.. cant learn to love that burnt clutch smell..

Does anyone know if the dealer will fix and what will they do to fix?
Iv'e had it too but they won't fix it unless they can "duplicate" the issue so Iv'e been told, I told them it's a random thing and I showed them several hundred posts from here on Camaro5 where others had it happen too they said oh well. I hope GM reecognizes they should have put a comp clutch in from the get go.
Skyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSUNCSU View Post
Had it happen to me twice, once on the street once on the strip between 1st and 2nd, I'm blown so I'm not worried about warranty replacement, 'cause that is gone. What I have done is make sure at the strip, I don't use launch control or traction control. Also weekly, as was suggested by a 'vette guy, I pull the fluids from the brake reservoir (I use a turkey baster or siphon out with clean tube) and refill. I think you'll be surprised in the color difference and "stuff" in there.
does changing the fluid in the reservoir help anything or does the whole system just need flushed? im at 33k is this something i should be considering?
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Before taking it into the dealer, try releasing the clutch a little faster. The TSB out for this concludes that it is "driver error" so if you take it in, all the dealer is going to do is write down that you "abused" your clutch by releasing it too slowly. If it happens for sure when you release as quickly as possible, then find a back road and take your service technician for a ride! (followed by horrible clutch smell)
Old 03-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
Before taking it into the dealer, try releasing the clutch a little faster. The TSB out for this concludes that it is "driver error" so if you take it in, all the dealer is going to do is write down that you "abused" your clutch by releasing it too slowly. If it happens for sure when you release as quickly as possible, then find a back road and take your service technician for a ride! (followed by horrible clutch smell)
Not the case if it's happening on a regular basis...they replaced my when it stuck down and i just let it stick since they denied a problem being present. Having the car on the back of a tow truck got their attention really fast...

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
FastEddie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IOM LS3 2SS/RS Camaro
I too have experienced this "clutch insubordination". Occasionally on launch. Sometimes in 2nd while attempting a "creative" 90 degree turn. It ALWAYS sucks. It literally stinks up the whole cockpit. It makes you wonder "Did I hurt her?- like how many of these do I get before I foul outta the game?" I haven't raced anyone for cash (on a designated track or closed course/private street/country where that's cool. etc of course) for this very reason. What reason was that again? Oh yeah, the cash... Right. Like I was saying if I get smoked because my clutch pedal Does a Punxsutawney Phil on me I'm just SOL. Nothing I can do but hang my foot there waiting like the anchor runner on a slow relay team Love my car. But she should NEVER tell me "no" when I say "go"!
FastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #12
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
GM Reps monitor this site. Someone says its a known issue so it seems like GM needs to step up to the (clutch)plate. The last thing they need are unhappy camaro owners if they want to maintain a good rep.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #13
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I took mine in. A GM rep told Me I'm a moron and that I'm doing it wrong.

Just upgrade to the ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch setup!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #14
Tigg
Irreverent Schmoe

Drives: Black 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblu View Post
Iv'e had it too but they won't fix it unless they can "duplicate" the issue so Iv'e been told, I told them it's a random thing and I showed them several hundred posts from here on Camaro5 where others had it happen too they said oh well. I hope GM reecognizes they should have put a comp clutch in from the get go.
Take the car to the dealer...In the parking lot run the engine rpm's up like you are going to do a hole shot. while revving with the clutch is in then let the clutch out slowly as if you are trying to keep the tires from breaking loose..It will stay down...I can get mine to do it every time...It stinks pretty bad though..