Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-24-2009, 07:01 AM   #29
copterdoc

Drives: 2010 rally yellow 2LT
The dealer cannot refuse your warranty if you change your own oil. Just keep your records. I have had this conversation with dealers before. I am a mechanic, I will always service my own vehicles.
copterdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:20 AM   #30
copterdoc

Drives: 2010 rally yellow 2LT
Read section C. Your dealer cannot void your warranty if you change your own oil. This has been debated many times over and over. It is up to your dealer to prove that you used the wrong oil or did something wrong. They will huff and puff and design cars to make it hard for you do it yourself, but the bottom line is they cannot make you bring it to them. The only thing that they have control of is that they are the only ones who can actually do the warranty work. Let them know that you know what you are talking about,Be armed with the facts and the dealer will back down right away about this.

SEMA is very proactive about this and in some cases will help represent you in a fight to help keep the aftermarket safe.

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1975

a) Section 102(c) prohibits tying arrangements that condition coverage under a written warranty on the consumer’s use of an article or service identified by brand, trade, or corporate name unless that article or service is provided without charge to the consumer.
(b) Under a limited warranty that provides only for replacement of defective parts and no portion of labor charges, section 102(c) prohibits a condition that the consumer use only service (labor) identified by the warrantor to install the replacement parts. A warrantor or his designated representative may not provide parts under the warranty in a manner which impedes or precludes the choice by the consumer of the person or business to perform necessary labor to install such parts.
(c) No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, ‘‘This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized ‘ABC’ dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine ‘ABC’ parts,’’ and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102 (c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of ‘‘unauthorized’’ articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such ‘‘unauthorized’’ articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.
Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1975
copterdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #31
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
All I'm saying is "Cover yer A$$" Keep your receipts.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #32
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
This'll make you feel better..
Old 06-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #33
DustinK

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan View Post
Just got her back guys...Wow, I guess its a "her" now...Anyways...LOL...$234 for my stupidity...Turns out I only let about 4 quarts leak out, so I only was charged for the fluid and labor...The tow was $125, so they didn't screw me too bad, and I had them change the oil and filter...Hopefully my 1500 mile oil change experience goes a little better...I will try and do that one myself...Are there any good pictures of the drain plug around yet? How about a set of service manuals?

Thanks for all your replies,

Y2J
Not to make you feel any worse but I'm fairly certain if you had gone through OnStar the tow to the dealership for service would have been free. Could be wrong but that's my understanding at least.

Glad it all got worked out -- at least you (and most of us) won't be making that mistake again any time soon
DustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #34
FrozenCaveman
Just a caveman

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
the trans is not a sealed unit,, there is a plug on the right side of the trans(where the dipstick would go on a normal old school trans)

here is how to check your trans fluid and add,,

1. have the car up on jackstands so the car sits close to level
3. start the car, run it through the gears till the trans fluid gets to 86-122*f
4. keep the engine running and trans in park,
Awesome info, and just what I think we needed to see on this thread, but I'm reluctant to put my car on jackstands and start it up. I guess there isn't much chance of anything going wrong, but I get the willies thinking about it.

-John
Old 06-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #35
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Wait...wait...let me get this straight. GM finally has the sense to put a drain plug in the Fbody tranny AFTER switching to a sealed transmission? Awesome. I really enjoyed dropping the whole pan on jackstands just to change fluid on my 02.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #36
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
Wait...wait...let me get this straight. GM finally has the sense to put a drain plug in the Fbody tranny AFTER switching to a sealed transmission? Awesome. I really enjoyed dropping the whole pan on jackstands just to change fluid on my 02.
it is not a drain plug, but a check/fill plug, it will only drain the fluid till it reaches proper fluid level, look at the pics i posted,
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #37
Sixtyniner

Drives: 010 2SS/LS3
We all have our days, been motorheading as long as I can remember. A friend (all thumbs) brings his H-D Road King over, I volunteered to change his oil ......... drained the tranny.....

VR 2SS/RS LS3

Pace Setter LT Headers
Magnaflow 3" Comp Exhaust
MSD Wires
Roto-Fab CAI
Hurst Short Throw
Tune - Speed Inc.
BMR 4 pt Strut Tower Brace

Sixtyniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:34 PM   #38
cowboy1948

Drives: 10 LT2/RS-08 SILVERADO-05 COBALT
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
the trans is not a sealed unit,, there is a plug on the right side of the trans(where the dipstick would go on a normal old school trans)

here is how to check your trans fluid and add,,

1. have the car up on jackstands so the car sits close to level
2. pull out the plug in the trans case on the pass side
3. start the car, run it through the gears till the trans fluid gets to 86-122*f
4. keep the engine running and trans in park,
5. remove the 15mm check plug in the pan, fill until fluid comes out the check plug hole in the trans pan
6. when the fluid starts coming out, stop filling and replace your check plug and the fill plug

tip: a suction gun with a 90* tip works great, i use a vacuum operated suction/discharge unit

where did you get the pics from and the info about the a6 trans fluid check and fill?
thanks for this info. also, what type fluid did the use in the a6, synthic or dino?

Retired
cowboy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #39
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Everyone has had a brainfart with cars we have all done it. I drained the tranny fluid on my snowblower by mistake last year At least you were smart enough to have it towed to the dealer and do no damage to the tranny. Glad its all good now
Old 12-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #40
Partick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Sh$t happens, have a beer and laugh it off. Like thrillz said we've all done something like that and most people wouldn't have the guts to admit it. Good luck on the next one!
Partick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #41
Rookie13
Hooked on AutoX

Drives: 1SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Rookie13
This is good stuff - just sayin thanks to all those who offered assistance w/o a bashing session.

Well Done!!!
Rookie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #42
Domic

Drives: '11 Chevy crew cab. '14 black 1LE
The first engine I rebuilt in highschool automech started up and ran fine for several minutes...then I remembered I hadn't filled it with oil yet. Years later, a 350 I put over $4k in parts/machine work in was on the hoist and I pushed it too fast across the garage floor causing it to swing back and forth and it tipped over hitting the ground on the crank pulley, bending the crank. Yep, stuff happens.
Domic is offline   Reply With Quote