Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-31-2010, 03:15 AM   #15
spoone123
Next is SS camaro.....

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, Rally yellow
Did you paid off the v6 first then upgrade to v8. cuz i want the v8 too. But I'm making my first month payment right now lol.
spoone123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:06 AM   #16
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Yes, it's to improve gas mileage. 1st gear is VERY aggressive on the L99, but hey I'm not complaining.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:31 AM   #17
rd-camaro

Drives: 2010 2LT Blk IOM stripes IO leather
ok so let me ask this question...in a drag race would you be better off in auto drive or tapshift manuel? will tapshift let you rev the engine to a higher rpm?

i usually dont use tapshift due to the fact that i have to have two hands on the wheel lol
rd-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:49 AM   #18
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd-camaro View Post
ok so let me ask this question...in a drag race would you be better off in auto drive or tapshift manuel? will tapshift let you rev the engine to a higher rpm?

i usually dont use tapshift due to the fact that i have to have two hands on the wheel lol
I have experimented with this many times. The shift programming is way better in S mode than either M or D. It's crazy. You would think M mode would be the most aggressive/quickest shifting but when in S mode it shifts much quicker and faster AND at the exact same rpm every shift.

I still spend most of my time in M tho as I hate how soon they program the upshifts in S. I could be in 6th gear by 30mph!!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:59 AM   #19
GoldBowtie

Drives: 2021 Yukon Denali, 2018 ZL1
Quote:

I believe I get the best drag launches in S mode and let the tranny do the shifting. It always starts in first and doesn't miss shifts/overrev. I hit the rev limiter and fuel shut-off too often in M (tap-shift) mode when trying to launch hard. Havn't been to the track yet so would like to hear what OP think.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:04 AM   #20
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoone123 View Post
Did you paid off the v6 first then upgrade to v8. cuz i want the v8 too. But I'm making my first month payment right now lol.
i traded mine in, i was going to wait a couple months, but i started to think. all the rental car places are going to start to get rid of their camaros and its going to flood the market dropping the trade in value
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #21
FinMan

Drives: Red Jewel 2010
tap shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldBowtie View Post
I believe I get the best drag launches in S mode and let the tranny do the shifting. It always starts in first and doesn't miss shifts/overrev. I hit the rev limiter and fuel shut-off too often in M (tap-shift) mode when trying to launch hard. Havn't been to the track yet so would like to hear what OP think.
I would rather let the car shift itself in S mode, but if you tap shift it down to first gear, you are forced to tap shift through the remaining gears, right? If you don't tap down to first, you will do a second gear launch.
FinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:05 AM   #22
GoldBowtie

Drives: 2021 Yukon Denali, 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinMan View Post
I would rather let the car shift itself in S mode, but if you tap shift it down to first gear, you are forced to tap shift through the remaining gears, right? If you don't tap down to first, you will do a second gear launch.
You're partly right -- if you tap up OR down you must continue to use the tap shift to UPSHIFT (it automatically downshifts to second). BUT if you just select S (without touching tapshift) it will start in first.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #23
rd-camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
I have experimented with this many times. The shift programming is way better in S mode than either M or D. It's crazy. You would think M mode would be the most aggressive/quickest shifting but when in S mode it shifts much quicker and faster AND at the exact same rpm every shift.

I still spend most of my time in M tho as I hate how soon they program the upshifts in S. I could be in 6th gear by 30mph!!

ok awesome! i havent tried S mode yet...kinda just found out about it the other day hahaha

ok so is it better to leave TC/StabT on during S mode or better to turn it off?
Old 03-31-2010, 12:23 PM   #24
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
ok awesome! i havent tried S mode yet...kinda just found out about it the other day hahaha

ok so is it better to leave TC/StabT on during S mode or better to turn it off?
You will find that TC is very intrusive/sensitive and can be a buzzkill at the party. Tho, I leave it on unless I'm gonna get real frisky and have checked for presence first.

Stability Control is for keeping the car from stepping out or otherwise yawing one way or the other. Turn it off only if your are really good at keeping the rear end in check and can handle a drift really well. Competitive Mode has reduced levels for both but is still active, just to a lesser degree.

I am still waiting on CO's before going to the track so I have not really tested competitive mode fully.

You will find that the right pedal is very addictive and can lead to severely reduced rear tire life! In this view, TC can be your friend... YRMV.

Last edited by hypurone; 03-31-2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: sp
hypurone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #25
rd-camaro

played around in S mode for the past couple of days and OH MAN! it is so much fun to drive in! its like there is a 2nd engine under the hood its awesome!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #26
Longhorn SS

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro SSRS L99
BTW, while the SS starts in 2nd for normal starts when in S mode, it WILL launch in 1st if you nail it (verified by speed at shift to 2nd). S is best. I never use M or D. All assists off (traction control and stability control). Push the button for about 8 seconds until both lights come on.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - Roto-Fab CAI, ARH 1-3/4" LTs w/cats, LMR tune, KW V3 coilovers, Pfadt F&R sway bars, end links, rear trailing arms, tie rods, solid subframe bushings, HPS brake pads
Longhorn SS is offline   Reply With Quote