Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #43
RS_Man

Drives: '13 Sonic RS 1.4T M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBOSS View Post
No one cares what the tips look like, just how it sounds.
Not true. Have u seen one of these cars without good exhaust tips? LOOKS LIKE SHIT. So perhaps YOU dont care what they look like. The rest of us have taste. Just watch your wording.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #44
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_Man View Post
Not true. Have u seen one of these cars without good exhaust tips? LOOKS LIKE SHIT. So perhaps YOU dont care what they look like. The rest of us have taste. Just watch your wording.

Good sound.... Plus Good looking 4" tips....

97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #45
gbmike

Drives: 2020 2SS Conv
Doug Thorley?

Just saw this on You Tube

its by Doug Thorley, sounds pretty meaty (if you get around the damn music)
gbmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #46
TIE FIGHTR
Cousin of Foo

Drives: 2010 2LT RS BLACK/BEIGE
I will be changing my exhuast from the stock, but I am completely undecided on which set up to go with.

I would like to solicit opinions of everyone here.

What I want:

1. Sound: not loud, but rather smooth deep rumble
2. HP: a little increase wouldn't hurt
3. MPG: a little increase wouldnt hurt
4. Looks: I like the larger round tips
5. Cost: I'd like to keep it well under 1K.

It'll be paired with an Airraid CAI. Any and all opinions will be heard and appreciated. Post it here or PM me.

Thanks,
MJD

'I wish I was the full moon shining off a Camaro's hood' ~ Pearl Jam Wishlist
TIE FIGHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #47
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIE FIGHTR View Post
I will be changing my exhuast from the stock, but I am completely undecided on which set up to go with.

I would like to solicit opinions of everyone here.

What I want:

1. Sound: not loud, but rather smooth deep rumble
2. HP: a little increase wouldn't hurt
3. MPG: a little increase wouldnt hurt
4. Looks: I like the larger round tips
5. Cost: I'd like to keep it well under 1K.

It'll be paired with an Airraid CAI. Any and all opinions will be heard and appreciated. Post it here or PM me.

Thanks,
MJD
One thing I found when trying to evaluate the videos.... Listen with a descent set of over the ear headphones!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #48
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
One thing I found when trying to evaluate the videos.... Listen with a descent set of over the ear headphones!
Agreed...find yourself some decent headphones...either that or get yourself some nice PC sounds with a subwoofer setup.

I know it sounds silly to buy some speakers just to watch some vids...but after having my setup, I'll never go back to weak desktop speakers. Games, videos, and listening to music is so much more enjoyable. You can get a really nice sounding 2.1 Creative system for probably 50 bucks. Just my .02.

As far as exhausts , its pretty obvious that everyone's opinion on exhaust tones differs. If your looking to stay under a grand...well theres options for you, as I've noticed some of the cat-back setups have been reduced by hundreds, pushing some near or below a grand. Keep an eye on the upcoming SOLO cat-backs as well. They seem to be going for a deeper, smoother tone overall. As far as axel back, Id say hands down buddylok's setup (one of my favs) or the MRT (scrming) looks to be popular as well.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #49
TIE FIGHTR
Cousin of Foo

Drives: 2010 2LT RS BLACK/BEIGE
I have my Sony Noise reduction headphones and have been listening to each set listed in the first post.

Still, I'm usually never this indecisive...

'I wish I was the full moon shining off a Camaro's hood' ~ Pearl Jam Wishlist
TIE FIGHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #50
marley.
OCD

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
I had the factory mufflers cut off yesterday and replaced with dual Flowmaster Super 40s. I would not recommend this setup. It definitely has a decent idle tone and sounds real good cruising at about 2,000 rpms but at about 4,000 rpm it made me wanna cry. So I basically lit a match to 300 bucks. I had a single dual in dual out Flow 40 on my 06 Charger 3.5L and it sounded amazing. I mean people turned heads everywhere I went with that exhaust. I thought it would be great on the Camaro but its getting cutoff next week i hope.
marley. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #51
kellyjrt

Drives: 2010 CAMARO ABM 2LT
I just want to add my two or three cents worth to this discussion and let you guys and gals know what I've done so far to this point. I got a v6(or my wife does)I had to go with something that would not offend her but please her at the same time and give the sound of being mean like a v8. I've done it. The right man at the right place can do wonders. I will post that infor. later with my videos. I don't won't to make this initial entry to long but here's what he did. Cut off the big gas cans (obvious thing to do, thanks screamin) converted my 2 1/4" pipes to 2 1/2" pipes, put in a 22" dual in/out magnaflow muffler up front with a built in x pipe and add 3.5" tips at the end and wham you got a grand slam. The bad boy is sweet to hear. NO cackle on decel. Beautiful deep throaty rumble at idle and she sings almost, I said almost like a v8 at accel. Your wondering about drone, virtually none, just a little more than factory setup, most of the growl comes when your accelerating, but settles beautifully when cruising. To humble the cabin sound even more I added foam egg crate insulating to the trunk area last night and it cut the cabin noise by at least 30%. My wife actually complained that she can't hear it as much when she gets on it now.. wow gentlemen how often does that happen. Let me know if you have any more questions
Old 10-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #52
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Kellyjrt...your description sounds excellent! Now (as if you didn't know it was coming) I'm definitely looking forward to the images and videos!

I'm giving myself until this spring to settle on a set up, but details are a must! A list of all parts necessary for the installation would be very much appreciated to go along with your videos.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #53
kellyjrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Kellyjrt...your description sounds excellent! Now (as if you didn't know it was coming) I'm definitely looking forward to the images and videos!

I'm giving myself until this spring to settle on a set up, but details are a must! A list of all parts necessary for the installation would be very much appreciated to go along with your videos.
we are working on the video now and pics of the process. I also have a 2LT ABM. I'm hoping for the video on utube to be finished by this weekend. My son is working on it. And cost, way way under 1000.00. If I made it public I would have to have my tongue cut out. I have some still pics of the car somewhere in my email. Pm me your email address and I will forward them to you.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #54
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjrt View Post
I just want to add my two or three cents worth to this discussion and let you guys and gals know what I've done so far to this point. I got a v6(or my wife does)I had to go with something that would not offend her but please her at the same time and give the sound of being mean like a v8. I've done it. The right man at the right place can do wonders. I will post that infor. later with my videos. I don't won't to make this initial entry to long but here's what he did. Cut off the big gas cans (obvious thing to do, thanks screamin) converted my 2 1/4" pipes to 2 1/2" pipes, put in a 22" dual in/out magnaflow muffler up front with a built in x pipe and add 3.5" tips at the end and wham you got a grand slam. The bad boy is sweet to hear. NO cackle on decel. Beautiful deep throaty rumble at idle and she sings almost, I said almost like a v8 at accel. Your wondering about drone, virtually none, just a little more than factory setup, most of the growl comes when your accelerating, but settles beautifully when cruising. To humble the cabin sound even more I added foam egg crate insulating to the trunk area last night and it cut the cabin noise by at least 30%. My wife actually complained that she can't hear it as much when she gets on it now.. wow gentlemen how often does that happen. Let me know if you have any more questions
Your description of what you did sounds like what suavecito1177 did, except that he also removed the stock resonators.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36580
Old 10-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #55
kellyjrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Your description of what you did sounds like what suavecito1177 did, except that he also removed the stock resonators.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36580
I left the resonators on to keep the neighbors happy!
Old 10-31-2009, 04:31 PM   #56
kellyjrt

ok, here is my first exhaust video, due to poor weather, timing, getting help doing the vid, and just the right place and time, this is how my v6 sounds now. Well kinda, the audio doesn't do it justice. I will work on it..I would appreciate any and all comments, and if you want to hear more, let me know.